Wiki Posts
Search

Not getting best price on Hertz.com

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Not getting best price on Hertz.com

I was trying to book a weekend rental on Hertz.com and kept coming up with a ridiculously high price ($160 for two days). Used CDP, took it off. Nothing would change it.

Decided to shop it on Kayak and got a bunch of prices around $70 for two days INCLUDING HERTZ. Used Kayak to try and book Hertz and when I went to the site, price jumped back up.

Decided to price an award and, voila, the pricing that led to the $70 for the two days shows up. Decided NOT to use the points and booked the reservation at the lower rate.

Now what p**ses me off is that I have to jump through these hoops to get the price and that Hertz.com is not giving me their best price.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:40 am

I've seen this or at least a similar issue. When trying to book a car at IAH 6/25/14-6/30/14, Avis, Budget, etc. come in between $100 and $200. Hertz? $350 for an intermediate and $425 for a full size, and that's WITH the USAA CDP and a coupon. Now Kayak shows a similar price for Hertz, so it might be that demand is disproportionately higher with Hertz that weekend than the others, but either way, seems fishy!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, Le Accor Gold
Well... this happens sometimes as they have prices allocated to different systems the same way as airlines do. It can then happen that there are still some cheap slots for aggregators while the cheap slots for hertz.com are already sold out.
What also happens that some locations are way cheaper than others. It's not only an airport/railway station surcharge, but just a location "discrimination". This happened to me in Norway where I get significantly lower price for 2 stations than for 10 others in Oslo for the same car group. I might even get an upgrade as the smaller stations don't have that many cars in the lot and they will assign me whatever better they have.
And CDP/Gold-Plus is tricky as hell. With my Gold Plus Account/Corporate account, the price was 2,5x more than without any CDP. So it's quite a lottery on what price you get, the only way you can avoid overpaying is simply do both searches (hertz.com and aggregators) anytime you want to rent a car and even dropping an email to the station might do some wonders.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:58 pm

Also, if you get a high rate with a coupon or CDP, try taking those off.. I have found a coupon + USAA or any other CDP in my experience, has actually raised the rate compared to just the CDP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.