Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel surcharge, returned full

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

I hired a car for 3 days in London and returned the car full. Foolishly, I didnt wait for the guy to check the car (actually he said if you dont need a receipt its ok to leave it) and now see that 28.70 GBP has been charged as a Fuel and service charge. Im 100% it was full on returning it.
Its not much, but more annoying than anything.
Is there anything I can do about this or just learn from the mistake and wait next time? Tried writing to them but no reply yet.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:34 am

For future reference take a photo of the odometer and fuel gauge - even if you have an agent check you back in.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you returned it full you must have a receipt for gas close in time to the dropoff time. That should be proof to Hertz CS that you returned it full.

And never drop off a car without getting a final receipt, especially overseas.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
....And never drop off a car without getting a final receipt, especially overseas.
+1.^

The only exception is when you don't really care how much it costs as it is expenseable anyway.

You can email Hertz Customer Care with your refueling receipt on that day and see if they will make adjustment.

Last edited by TerryK; May 27, 2014 at 10:43 am
Old May 27, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by BigJC
For future reference take a photo of the odometer and fuel gauge - even if you have an agent check you back in.
This.

If you returned it full you must have a receipt for gas close in time to the dropoff time. That should be proof to Hertz CS that you returned it full.

This.

^

Live and learn.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by englisha
I hired a car for 3 days in London and returned the car full. Foolishly, I didnt wait for the guy to check the car (actually he said if you dont need a receipt its ok to leave it) and now see that 28.70 GBP has been charged as a Fuel and service charge. Im 100% it was full on returning it.
Its not much, but more annoying than anything.
Is there anything I can do about this or just learn from the mistake and wait next time? Tried writing to them but no reply yet.
At a guess LHR ?
Old May 27, 2014, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A photograph of a fuel guage does not prove that the car was full, but the fuel purchase receipt showing purchase of enough fuel should do nicely . Just contact hertz Customer Relations in the UK , raise a case and then email the fuel receipt and it will be adjusted
Old May 28, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A photograph of a fuel guage does not prove that the car was full, but the fuel purchase receipt showing purchase of enough fuel should do nicely .
On that basis, a fuel purchase receipt proves only that you bought fuel - not necessarily put it in the rental car you are returning.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:06 pm

On that basis, a fuel purchase receipt proves only that you bought fuel - not necessarily put it in the rental car you are returning.
It doesn't prove it , but Hertz UK Customer service are good at accepting the receipt for diesel as such. It shows that fuel was purchased, where and how long before returning the vehicle it was purchased. If it correlates with the rental, CR will, ime, have no issue reimbursing the cost
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:40 pm

A photograph of a fuel guage does not prove that the car was full, but the fuel purchase receipt showing purchase of enough fuel should do nicely . Just contact hertz Customer Relations in the UK , raise a case and then email the fuel receipt and it will be adjusted
I always take a picture of the fuel gauge with the mileage also clearly visible. A picture that shows a full tank and the exact (+/- 1-2) mileage you returned at is actually much better proof than a gas receipt, IMO.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by RGreen1911
I always take a picture of the fuel gauge with the mileage also clearly visible. A picture that shows a full tank and the exact (+/- 1-2) mileage you returned at is actually much better proof than a gas receipt, IMO.

Where mileage driven is high enough it can be fairly good , but on shorter distances, the needle may read full even though no fuel has been purchased
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:50 am

Where mileage driven is high enough it can be fairly good , but on shorter distances, the needle may read full even though no fuel has been purchased
+1 I got a car at DCA, ran errands around DC for a bit, and swapped the car at BWI (~65 miles used) and the tank was still on Full. I told the agent when swapping that I'm in a rush and that I didn't have time to refuel, but she said don't worry about it, it's still on Full
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

This and agreed that gas receipt doesn't prove anything.

. Not always possible especially with after hours return.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
With the resolution of camera [phones] these days do a wider shot with the keytag showing the plate number in the picture too (so you see mileage, fuel level, and plate number in one picture).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:57 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Just got caught in this time wasting scam in PHX 5 days ago. Rented the car in TUS 9/10/15 7 PM, drove to PHX (133m) after my meeting, filled it up 0.5 mile from the airport and dropped it off at 9/11/15 5:30am when 100 cars had arrived and there was one attendant. Left it and received a bill with a $ 85 "fuel surcharge". All on my personal CC. Called, was told to email my fuel receipt to "[email protected]" - did do the day after 9/13/15 - of course haven't heard or seen anything since then.

1, This scam is wasting my time
2. This scam is preventing me from handing in my expense report
3. This scam seems prevalent having a dedicated email address for people catching the scam

Shame on Hertz to pull this scam on a 15 year loyal costumer!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.