8 passenger SUV from Hertz at LAX

Old May 20, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

8 passenger SUV from Hertz at LAX

Hello all. I need to rent an 8 passenger SUV from LAX. At Hertz they list the Ford Explorer with a passenger capacity of 7-8 and the GMC Yukon XL with a passenger capacity of 8. I would only need to carry 8 people twice in 1 week (to and from the airport). Probably going to have 3 large suitcases and 6 carry-ons too.

The price of the Explorer is about 1/2 the price of the Yukon XL, so I would prefer to rent the Explorer if it can meet my needs.

How likely is the Explorer to actually be able to carry 8 passengers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. This is my first post...
Old May 20, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DASAJ13StdE
Old May 20, 2014, 4:24 am

8 adults? If 8 adults, I don't think the Explorer is going to do for you - you're going to need the Yukon.

Could you get a shuttle into town and rent in town? How about 2 compacts?
Old May 20, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by szehui
8 adults? If 8 adults, I don't think the Explorer is going to do for you - you're going to need the Yukon.

Could you get a shuttle into town and rent in town? How about 2 compacts?
6 adults, 2 young adults, everyone except me are 5'6" or less. No one is terribly overweight. And we're all family, so we can get up close & personal!

A shuttle is an option. 6 of us are arriving first, and then the other 2 probably a couple hours later. If my vehicle cannot carry everyone, I can have 1 or 2 people take a shuttle. Another couple with a vehicle will be meeting us at our destination.

Thanks for the reply.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I should have thought of youtube! I was googling for articles and pictures instead.

From the video, looks like the 3rd row consists of 2 seats, split 50/50, so the seating capacity would be only 7. But why would Hertz list the seating capacity as 7-8? Is there an option for a different 3rd row? If so, could I request this at the counter?

Thanks for the reply.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You need to reserve a "PFAR" vehicle - PFAR is either Suburban or Yukon XL.
These are guaranteed to hold 8.
I'd call he station directly (310-568-5100) and see with them what's available with 8-passenger capacity on your given dates.
They do have minivans in 8-seat configuration as well (Toyota Sienna) which will be better than the SUVs (maneuverability, parking, fuel economy, luggage capacity with 3rd row filled) and a lot cheaper as well.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For 8 people plus 3 large suitcases and 6 carry on? Yukon XL or full size van.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techer89
Iwhy would Hertz list the seating capacity as 7-8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30-AaJz3bc
Old May 20, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Moderation note

Welcome to FlyerTalk! I've moved your query to the Hertz forum in hopes of gaining more attention from those FlyerTalkers who are most likely to be of assistance. For future reference, you can find this forum listed under "Car Rental Programs/Partners" in the Miles&Points category of the Forum Index.

Forum members will please note that this thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk, and reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to the OP.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 20, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Straight from a Ford.com Explorer web page:

Three Rows. Maximum Seating for Seven.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/fe...#page=Feature3
Old May 20, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
We were in a Hertz Ford Explorer all this past weekend. 6 adults - nobody large - and it was not very comfortable for those in the rear fold down seats. Maximum seating is definitely 7 with no luggage.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
In the FRAR group as well as the listed model ( Explorer ) there are other models, ie Chevy Traverse, some of these have a second row bench seat, albeit the lower spec models. These vehicles will hold 8 people, but with the third row being used the luggage space will be limited. Also it will be pot luck to get one of these. All the Traverse, Enclaves and Acadias I have rented have been the higher spec models , an none had the bench seat for the second row.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by holodoc
In the FRAR group as well as the listed model ( Explorer ) there are other models, ie Chevy Traverse, some of these have a second row bench seat, albeit the lower spec models. These vehicles will hold 8 people, but with the third row being used the luggage space will be limited. Also it will be pot luck to get one of these. All the Traverse, Enclaves and Acadias I have rented have been the higher spec models , an none had the bench seat for the second row.
Still not sure how the bench in the second row would equate to 8 passenger; it would be Row 1 = 2, Row 2 = 3, Row 3 = 2. I don't think any of the mid-size SUVs (Explorer, Traverse, Enclaves) have three belts in the third row; that would require a mini-van with the second row bench (2+3+3) or a full size SUV with 3 belts in the rear.

Luggage is a whole other topic as with three rows, luggage is tight in minivans and midsize SUVs; much less in full size extended full size SUVs (Suburban XL, Escalade ESV, etc.).

EDIT: Just looked up the Traverse specifications and you can get it in 8 passenger; talk about cramped!
Old May 20, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I repeat: the only booking from Hertz's fleet that will guarantee you seating for 8 adults plus luggage is to book the Yukon XL.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr

EDIT: Just looked up the Traverse specifications and you can get it in 8 passenger; talk about cramped!
I seem to remember having 3 on the back row in a Traverse - I recall they got know each other REALLY well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.