Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point redemption insurance options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Huh? I book NYC Manhattan locations very frequently with points. They've made them premium periods for every summer weekend, which is annoying, but it's definitely doable.
I refuse to book AnyDay awards.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by sard
My experience, if you rent from an airport you will be charge an airport fee, which then will cause you to pay taxes and so on.

If you rent from a local Hertz (for example, a place in the city) then the rental charge is $0 and there would be no tax on $0 so you pay nothing (assuming you fill up the gas so there is no charge for anything)
Even this can vary, though. In PA there's a statewide $2/day tax regardless of rate or location, so you pay it even if the rate is $0 from the point redemption. Thus, a local rental here even on points always has a charge. Additionally, Allegheny County (Pittsburgh and immediate vicinity) has another $2/day tax. So a "free" day at the HLE down the road costs at least $4, or $28/week. I can't remember what the other taxes do. I actually did a redemption of a week earlier in the spring, but my rental was for 8 days, so it clouded the tax picture a bit.

That was my hedge, though, figuring that even if someone wanted to argue that having a free rental means the rental wasn't paid on the card, I didn't have a free rental. I just had a large discount with the free week code, and paid the extra day plus taxes. That said, unlike the prior 4-5 years, I now have a new car with full coverage, so that would be my primary insurance anyway and I would only be arguing with the card issuer about 500 bucks max, which may make it easier.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:55 am

Huh? I book NYC Manhattan locations very frequently with points. They've made them premium periods for every summer weekend, which is annoying, but it's definitely doable.
So what do you do for the insurance option?
Since using points in the city won't have a charge (unless you have them put gas in)

I'm in the city also, but occasionally I rent a car just to go out to visit my parents in Long Island and to go to Costco but its rolling the dice that the car won't get any dings in the parking lot.

Also, do you book on the website or on the phone?
For some reason when I try to book on the website, it charges me points for 2 days (1,100) but when I book on the phone its only 550 points.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: DL
I'm not sure how the legalese works here but aren't point redemptions marked as promotion codes? It might be reasonable to book it as +1 hour and take the one hourly rate (>$0) and just say it was a rewards discount.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sard
So what do you do for the insurance option?
Since using points in the city won't have a charge (unless you have them put gas in)

I'm in the city also, but occasionally I rent a car just to go out to visit my parents in Long Island and to go to Costco but its rolling the dice that the car won't get any dings in the parking lot.

Also, do you book on the website or on the phone?
For some reason when I try to book on the website, it charges me points for 2 days (1,100) but when I book on the phone its only 550 points.
Do you not own a car? If you don't, what do you do about third-party liability when you rent -- either with points or with cash? That should be a bigger concern than the occasional parking lot dent. The third-party liability insurance that Hertz provides for free in NYS is paltry.

If you rent cars often enough -- either in NYC or elsewhere in the U.S. -- consider looking into a non-owned-auto liability policy. Policies issued in NYS automatically cover rental car loss/damage.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you not own a car? If you don't, what do you do about third-party liability when you rent -- either with points or with cash? That should be a bigger concern than the occasional parking lot dent. The third-party liability insurance that Hertz provides for free in NYS is paltry.

If you rent cars often enough -- either in NYC or elsewhere in the U.S. -- consider looking into a non-owned-auto liability policy. Policies issued in NYS automatically cover rental car loss/damage.
Definitely. I get $500K in liability coverage for about $140 a year.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I rented from ORD a week or so ago using points and total cost was zero and included LDW and LIS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.