Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz survey: Are they considering charging extra for low mileage cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS

I got a general survey link from Hertz tonight (i.e. not related to a specific rental). The first few questions were the standard, canned items that you'd expect from such a survey; things like # of rentals in the past year, rental companies you've used, etc.

These questions, however, got my attention:

Imagine you are renting a compact car for business purposes from Hertz at an airport location. If this vehicle cost $39 per day and had 5,000 miles on it, how acceptable would this be?
This question repeated at 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k, all at the same price point. Then this question:

Imagine you are renting a compact car for business purposes from Hertz at an airport location. This car would regularly cost $39 per day and have about 20,000 miles on it. If there was another option available to rent the same kind of car with fewer than 5,000 miles for an extra $3 per day, how likely would you choose this option over the original car?
This repeats at $5/day and $7/day.

The survey then shifts topics a bit to talk about refueling. I'm asked what fuel option I usually select (none), and how much gas I typically use on a rental (about half a tank). Then I get this:

... imagine that Hertz is considering introducing a new refueling option to its customers in which customers could return their car with gas at any level and Hertz would refuel the tank at prices competitive with local gas pumps, plus an additional standard service fee."
I'm asked how likely I'd be at $10 to accept the fee. I respond "Very unlikely", and get no other options. A $10 fee amortized over the amount of gallons of gas they fill your tank up with doesn't seem "competitive with local gas pumps" to me.

Personally I like the idea of paying a few bucks extra to avoid a high mileage car, but really, it shouldn't come to this. The reason people would be willing to pay extra money is that Hertz doesn't properly take care of the high mileage cars in their fleet. I would gladly drive a car with 40k miles on it if it was taken care of. However, Hertz doesn't do that, and so yeah, I'd pay $3/day to get a newer, lower mileage car.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:51 am

It sounds like Hertz still doesn't understand today's business travel reality. If your company requires a specific rate, a specific car class, a specific vendor, and prohibits extras, you don't have the choices this new survey asks about, at any price.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
You guys should rent from Cars Unlimited @ Tamuning, Guam...then you will never complain about any Hertz vehicle again!

http://www.guampdn.com/guampublishin...p?menu=welcome

They charged $25/day for "regular" Sentras...but for a discounted $15/day you could get the beater with rust holes under the driver floor mats, the non-winding windows and the door that dropped on its hinges.

I always chose the beater. It gave me a chuckle as I walked from the airport and let's face it, the insurance replacement value of a car like that is very small so little financial risk to the renter.

Remind Hertz, value is in the eye and wallet of the beholder....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
I'll just rent from national in that case and it will be free
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:49 pm

The fuel option they tried before, it was local rates plus a refuel fee, I used it all the time for the short life it had.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
It sounds like Hertz still doesn't understand today's business travel reality. If your company requires a specific rate, a specific car class, a specific vendor, and prohibits extras, you don't have the choices this new survey asks about, at any price.
You do know other types of traveller exist?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I got the survey - not sure what is up - but for personal travel I will not pay more fora low mpg car - on principle. They should be encouraging use of low mpg cars.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:56 pm

Of course, but I'd bet more don't have a choice than do.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by callum9999
You do know other types of traveller exist?
not disputing your statement but the survey questions clearly ask about renting for "business purposes".
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:21 pm

I got the survey, too, and the same questions asked me if I'd be willing to pay more for low mileage when renting for leisure purposes.

My guess is that I got leisure purposes because I said I rent more often for leisure than for business in one of the earlier questions.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I got the same survey yesterday, but it was asking me about leisure travel. So they may be trying to cover both fronts.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I hope that everyone who responds to this survey will let them know that not only will they not pay extra for low-mileage cars, they'll stop renting from Hertz if they keep crappy cars which are not maintained properly with high mileage in their fleet.

I just got back from Hawaii and both Hertz rental cars I had were almost brand new ! I can't stand when I rent cars that have more mileage than my own at home.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
I am a Five Star and honestly don't care about mileage. I am happy as long as the car is clean, comfortable and runs well.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Josephmay
I am a Five Star and honestly don't care about mileage. I am happy as long as the car is clean, comfortable and runs well.
^

I submit that most of the issues with rental cars are not Hertz' fault but the way that previous renters treat them. High mileage tends to mean stains on the upholstery, tears, bits of trim damaged etc, and I very much doubt that any of these are caused by Hertz themselves.

As long as a car has been serviced properly, and has tyres with a decent amount of tread of them, I really don't see the issue that seems to get many people very agitated. Of course, if there are problems with the car, even if it is just a spurious illuminated warning light, that's different...... but those sort of gremlins can and do occur at any mileage as well.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
^

I submit that most of the issues with rental cars are not Hertz' fault but the way that previous renters treat them. High mileage tends to mean stains on the upholstery, tears, bits of trim damaged etc, and I very much doubt that any of these are caused by Hertz themselves.

As long as a car has been serviced properly, and has tyres with a decent amount of tread of them, I really don't see the issue that seems to get many people very agitated. Of course, if there are problems with the car, even if it is just a spurious illuminated warning light, that's different...... but those sort of gremlins can and do occur at any mileage as well.
That's the problem though. Hertz has increased the length of time they rent their cars before selling them off, but they haven't compensated for the increased mileage with respect to how they regularly maintain their fleet. Every time, and I mean every time, I get a car with 40k+ miles on it, the brakes are shot, the tires are going bald, and the transmission shifts hard. I don't feel nearly as safe with a higher mileage vehicle.

If Hertz invested a few hundred dollars and replaced brake pads at 30k, drained the transmission fluid, and replaced tires, I would have no problem driving a higher mileage car. Heck, my car is 7 years old and has 62k miles on it. My future wife's car has 159k miles and is almost 14 years old. We have no plans on replacing either car anytime soon.

I don't need to drive new cars, but older cars have to be maintained properly. That's where Hertz fails miserably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.