Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From MIA, it's very difficult to (safely) avoid the tolls, unless you are heading south, and that requires long detours on local roads.

From MCO, I believe it's somewhat difficult but not impossible to avoid tolls, but I'm not as familiar with the area.

That said, there's plenty of discussion on this topic, specific to FL, in both the rental car forums and the FL forum.

I think Hertz's use of Platepass falls in the middle in terms of scam-worthiness. Yes, they charge you the admin fee for every day of the rental if you use the transponder even just once. But you only get billed actual tolls. Some agencies charge a meaningfully higher daily fee (for the length of the rental), and while it includes the toll charges, you're basically getting completely ripped off unless you drive, like up to Orlando and back in 2 days.

Perhaps try National - I think the fee is only $4-5 and it's only charged for the days you use the service. That's completely reasonable in my book.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:49 pm

Thumbs down Hertz PlatePass Scam

This happened to me on a Hertz rental this month. I was using my own Sunpass Transponder and was still charged for a toll that was charged to PlatePass 3 seconds before I was charged. PlatePass added a $4.95 a day charge for using PlatePass, on that one toll, even though it was only one toll of $1.50. I provided proof that I had paid the toll and they denied the PROOF. I took it back up with them and they finally relented on the daily charge, though I have yet ot see that credit. Took it back up with them again and now they are telling me that it will take anotehr few days to try to resolve. They try to wear you down and hope you will go away. I think this has the basis for a class action lawsuit. Anyone else want to join me?
I am now taking it up with Hertz and American Express.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by FFlyer99
I think this has the basis for a class action lawsuit. Anyone else want to join me?
I am now taking it up with Hertz and American Express.
Unfortunately there already WAS a class action on this (against American Traffic Solutions, which I believe was a predecessor to Platepass).
Many of us received some portion of the fee back. Of course:
- the suit was on disclosure of the fees, not the existence of the fees themselves
- the lawyers got the majority of the money
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FFlyer99
This happened to me on a Hertz rental this month. I was using my own Sunpass Transponder and was still charged for a toll that was charged to PlatePass 3 seconds before I was charged.
Realistically your beef is with the toll provider, not PlatePass.

PlatePass only knows about the toll if the toll provider charges them. Based on what you've said the toll provider charged both you AND PlatePass. As annoying as it may be to have PlatePass pass that onto you (along with their daily fee for doing so), you can't blame them for the double-charge!

Did you rental have a Hertz-provided transponder in it? If so, was it open or closed?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:35 pm

We had a successful low-cost Florida tolls experience this month. We bought our own SunPass for our Miami car rental and one week trip to the Florida Keys.

Fortunately I had read about high agency toll fees, so at the Thrifty counter I was explicit that I did not want their weekly toll service. The agent tried to talk me into it, warning me of their $15 per toll charge, but stopped pushing when I said I was buying a transponder.

SunPass mini stick-on transponders are $4.99 plus tax, available at Publix, CVS and other retailers, and online. We drove from MIA to a nearby 24-hour CVS using Google Maps without using a toll road. Next time I would buy one online in advance from the SunPass web page for the same price, with about a week for shipping. More frequent FL travelers could get the more expensive transferable transponder.

I activated the transponder using my mobile phone from the CVS parking lot, pre-paid the minimum $10, and registered the rental car license plate and rental time period. Being able to set the time frame was reassuring, though when I used my PC to check my SunPass account it had lost track of the car being a rental, so I’m glad I checked and fixed it.

We used a toll road within minutes of registering the transponder and plate. I don’t know if the car had a Thrifty transponder too, I don’t think so. The next day I confirmed the new account was charged as expected, so I had some peace of mind that I wasn’t racking up high fees, or that I’d be able to fight any double charging.

The transponder worked as expected during the week, and online account tracked everything correctly. I removed it when we returned the car, it’s not trivial to unstick, and destroyed it. When I arrived home I confirmed that the rental plate was no longer active on the account, but to be safe I removed the vehicle. A couple of days later I closed the account and requested a refund, which should post to my credit card within a month.

Total was $5.29 for the transponder and $6.30 for tolls.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ijgordon
From MIA, it's very difficult to (safely) avoid the tolls, unless you are heading south, and that requires long detours on local roads.

From MCO, I believe it's somewhat difficult but not impossible to avoid tolls, but I'm not as familiar with the area.

That said, there's plenty of discussion on this topic, specific to FL, in both the rental car forums and the FL forum.

I think Hertz's use of Platepass falls in the middle in terms of scam-worthiness. Yes, they charge you the admin fee for every day of the rental if you use the transponder even just once. But you only get billed actual tolls. Some agencies charge a meaningfully higher daily fee (for the length of the rental), and while it includes the toll charges, you're basically getting completely ripped off unless you drive, like up to Orlando and back in 2 days.

Perhaps try National - I think the fee is only $4-5 and it's only charged for the days you use the service. That's completely reasonable in my book.
528, the MCO toll road, still has cash lanes. I know, I've done it.
https://www.cfxway.com/TravelersExpr...BeachLine.aspx
Old May 7, 2016, 2:10 pm

Well somewhat ironically, platepass triggered a fraud alert from Amex when they charged me for my recent Florida rental.

While exorbitant, it sadly wasn't fraudulent, at least not legally.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well, in Florida, it's getting more and more difficult to find a cash lane. I suspect people will start using their GPS and telling it to avoid toll roads. I know I will.

That's going to have a nasty effect on all those local roads that aren't designed for heavy traffic.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Just a follow-up on my experience. I was renting from Hertz- their cars all had sunpasses adhered to the upper left corner of the windshield, and they seem to have the worst fees, capping at $26. I asked the attendant when leaving the garage if I could deactivate their transponder; he said there is no way to do so, but putting my own sunpass in the middle should keep theirs from registering. Per teddybear's suggestion, I stopped at the CVS near FLL and purchased a sunpass. They only had the mini, but I had brought tape and taped it to the center of the windshield. I registered for an account on the app and added the rental license plate-- was happy to see that the app allows a plate to be added just for a certain time period, so you don't have to go back and remove the rental manually from your account. All tolls did register on the app - so far Hertz hasn't sent me any charges but I'm keeping an eye on it just in case their transponder did register anywhere. I was able to easily detach the transponder from the vehicle at the end of our rental, and look forward to using it again when next in Florida. Thanks everyone for the very useful (and money saving) advice on this thread!
Found this useful post in another thread and thought I would copy it here for future reference. I’ll also add that the 2018 model year car I rented this month did not have a SunPass sticker or transponder so using one’s own would have been easy.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Happy to report that I used my mini-Sunpass for the first time and had no issues. As posted above, Hertz doesn't seem to be putting in their own Sunpass transponders now and is relying on PlatePass to collect the tolls. This works out well as it's pretty simple to tape the mini-Sunpass to the windshield (centered under the rear-view mirror) and not worry about any conflicting transponders. I used the mobile app to temporarily register my car's plate and marked it as a rental and could see the tolls posting within 24 hours.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:49 am

Platepass malfunction in FL ?

Hello,
I have a small issue that's stressing me out.
I currently have a Hertz car rented out of MIA last Wednesday. Car has FL plates.
This is my first rental with HHert in the US, and the first time I drive in FL.
It was my understanding that all Hertz cars were already Platepass compliant. However a small incident is raising my concerns.
I drove from Miami to Sarasota talking the I-75, I used an express lane, and later when entering the I-75, I took the rightmost lane at the toll (the Sunpass lane).
When passing the Sunpass lane the light from the lane flashed red, indicating that I was not allowed to use that lane, however it was to late for me to turn back. This means I am supposed to pay a $100 fine + Hertz processing fee.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong ? It was my understanding that I was by default allowed to use the Sunpass lane.

Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2019 at 7:32 am Reason: Moved into consolidated thread
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by koopa
Hello,
I have a small issue that's stressing me out.
I currently have a Hertz car rented out of MIA last Wednesday. Car has FL plates.
This is my first rental with HHert in the US, and the first time I drive in FL.
It was my understanding that all Hertz cars were already Platepass compliant. However a small incident is raising my concerns.
I drove from Miami to Sarasota talking the I-75, I used an express lane, and later when entering the I-75, I took the rightmost lane at the toll (the Sunpass lane).
When passing the Sunpass lane the light from the lane flashed red, indicating that I was not allowed to use that lane, however it was to late for me to turn back. This means I am supposed to pay a $100 fine + Hertz processing fee.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong ? It was my understanding that I was by default allowed to use the Sunpass lane.

Thanks
Did you get a citation from Hertz? What state was the car's license plate from?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Happy to report that I used my mini-Sunpass for the first time and had no issues. As posted above, Hertz doesn't seem to be putting in their own Sunpass transponders now and is relying on PlatePass to collect the tolls. This works out well as it's pretty simple to tape the mini-Sunpass to the windshield (centered under the rear-view mirror) and not worry about any conflicting transponders. I used the mobile app to temporarily register my car's plate and marked it as a rental and could see the tolls posting within 24 hours.
You were lucky.

Mine never seemed to work!

As a result some tolls were invoiced to my sunpass account and others were billed to Hertz.

I then got a usage bill for hertz on a daily basis.

I was later refunded by Sunpass for the usage fee, but they charged my card for the tolls and did not deduct this from my sunpass account.

It seems that sunpass just relied upon the plates - I did not use any express lanes as I was concerned that the tolls were not being triggered by the min-sunpass and didn't want a fine for using the licence plate only.

Next time I will purchase a larger version and use that, as the mini one is not reliable. They say put it towards the top of the screen behind the rearview mirror.

Sunpass were easy to deal with on the refund of the usage fee that hertz would normally make.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
You were lucky.

Mine never seemed to work!

As a result some tolls were invoiced to my sunpass account and others were billed to Hertz.

I then got a usage bill for hertz on a daily basis.

I was later refunded by Sunpass for the usage fee, but they charged my card for the tolls and did not deduct this from my sunpass account.

It seems that sunpass just relied upon the plates - I did not use any express lanes as I was concerned that the tolls were not being triggered by the min-sunpass and didn't want a fine for using the licence plate only.

Next time I will purchase a larger version and use that, as the mini one is not reliable. They say put it towards the top of the screen behind the rearview mirror.

Sunpass were easy to deal with on the refund of the usage fee that hertz would normally make.
Get an NC QuickPass and put it in this portable holder. It'll work in Florida, Georgia, NC, and all 18 EZPass states.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by m907
Get an NC QuickPass and put it in this portable holder. It'll work in Florida, Georgia, NC, and all 18 EZPass states.
interesting device! I assume it would work fine with the mini-sunpass?

Sadly live in the UK, so getting such a device plus the NC Quickpass is not so easy unless I visit a store etc.

However had enough of keep paying Hertz!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.