Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
PS: I've never ever been given a car with Platepass at RSW, and I've rented there many times.
I assure you, they all have PlatePass.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by 1P
PS: I've never ever been given a car with Platepass at RSW, and I've rented there many times.
Almost guarantee all the vehicles you have rented that have a FL plate at minimum are Platepass eligible.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Almost guarantee all the vehicles you have rented that have a FL plate at minimum are Platepass eligible.
I've only seen New York plated cars with a PlatePass transponder (I've only rented VA, MD, NY, TN, FL plated cars so far) However, toll by Plate (which I believe goes through Plate Pass) works on any Hertz car regardless of where the car is plated as far as I know.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by CTNYC
I've only seen New York plated cars with a PlatePass transponder (I've only rented VA, MD, NY, TN, FL plated cars so far) However, toll by Plate (which I believe goes through Plate Pass) works on any Hertz car regardless of where the car is plated as far as I know.
EZ-Pass is different then PlatePass, Platepass does not use a transponder.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
EZ-Pass is different then PlatePass, Platepass does not use a transponder.
hmm.. Could've sworn that the New York plated car I got said "Plate Pass" on the transponder and said it's both for EZ Pass and Sun Pass - going off my memory so I can't say I'm 100% sure :/
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm.. Could've sworn that the New York plated car I got said "Plate Pass" on the transponder and said it's both for EZ Pass and Sun Pass - going off my memory so I can't say I'm 100% sure :/
The actual transponder is EZpass in the Northeast (including New York).

PlatePass is the external vendor that Hertz, and others, use to manage the tolling program nationwide. The shielding box is labeled PlatePass, but the transponder inside will say EZpass.

And of course, as several of us have said, there is no transponder at all in Florida. PlatePass just uses pay-by-plate down there.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The actual transponder is EZpass in the Northeast (including New York).

PlatePass is the external vendor that Hertz, and others, use to manage the tolling program nationwide. The shielding box is labeled PlatePass, but the transponder inside will say EZpass.

And of course, as several of us have said, there is no transponder at all in Florida. PlatePass just uses pay-by-plate down there.
whoops sorry to anyone I may have misled/confused.. the entire US should just adopt one toll system and make this simpler... On another note, just ordered an extra EZ pass to use on rentals
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the entire US should just adopt one toll system and make this simpler...
Yeah, I don't think you want to go there.
On another note, just ordered an extra EZ pass to use on rentals
You should be able to use the one you already have. As long as the vehicle class is the same, it doesn't matter if it's registered to a particular car. (Of course if the transponder doesn't read and they snap a pic of the rental license plate, you'll probably get hit with an administrative fine by the rental agency once they track you down, so there's some element of risk to using a personal EZpass in a rental car...)
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:12 pm

Yeah, I don't think you want to go there.
Sorry if I'm uninformed about the subject, but what are the negative sides of having a universal toll system in America/what conflicts would arise? 97% of the time I'm driving, its an EZ Pass state, but the 3% I drive in Florida and California, it does get annoying...

You should be able to use the one you already have. As long as the vehicle class is the same, it doesn't matter if it's registered to a particular car. (Of course if the transponder doesn't read and they snap a pic of the rental license plate, you'll probably get hit with an administrative fine by the rental agency once they track you down, so there's some element of risk to using a personal EZpass in a rental car...)
My "home" is in CT, but I live in DC without a car for school 9 months of the year, so in my situation, it makes more sense to get another transponder for my somewhat frequent drives to CT/PA/NY
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry if I'm uninformed about the subject, but what are the negative sides of having a universal toll system in America/what conflicts would arise?
Oh, I just meant this probably isn't the place for a discussion of federal vs. states rights. The downside is that the states wouldn't want to give up control over the toll roads that they maintain. But for commercial reasons, many do coordinate, like on EZpass.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:45 am

Oh, I just meant this probably isn't the place for a discussion of federal vs. states rights. The downside is that the states wouldn't want to give up control over the toll roads that they maintain. But for commercial reasons, many do coordinate, like on EZpass.
Ah - gotcha Oh what if states actually got along and laws in different states made sense (don't even get me started on tint laws while driving through other states )
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question How to open sunpass acct w/o plate number?

I plan a FL trip and I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to open a sunpass acct online without providing a car plate number? (I could not see on sunpass site how to do this)
2. Is it possible to ask to send the transponder to a NY addr? when my credit card addr is CA?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I rented a vehicle on 3/4 at FLL. It had VA license plates. I saw many vehicles at Hertz with license plates from other states (in fact, all the vehicles in Gold Choice were...which I thought was funny).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Purchasing a sunpass transponder for a hertz vehicle for Florida

Hi,

Am I correct?

I wish to avoid the higher costs charged by hertz for their platepass in Florida

It is a 17 day hire, so will expect to use several tolls.

Do I buy a sunpass transponder at the airport

Register the number plate of the hire car on sunpass site

Credit the account with $10

Forget the platepass as sunpass will only debit the transponder account.

It will probably be the $4.95 + tax sticker version.

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The problem with your idea is some Hertz Florida licensed vehicles already have a SunPass mini sticker transponder affixed to the windshield (although you may find vehicles including those licensed to many other states at a Florida Hertz location that do not have one...the one I got this month was a Virginia licensed car and it did not have any kind of toll sticker/transponder).

You can't buy them at the airport.

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.