Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by toomuh
I have a question regarding plate pass. Specifically how you opt out using it in FL? I need to rent a car and will be going with Hertz and will be traveling from RSW to Fort Meyers beach. Do you opt out in the contract and need to physically do something to a transponder in the car?

Whats confusing as I thought I read some places dont offer the ability to pay with cash, which by default then would force a rental cars to use the Platepass

I was considering becoming a Gold Member which I understand allows you to go directly to the lot. If you go directly to the lot can you still opt out?

I technically dont know if a toll fee is needed to get there but will assume one is.
Not all Hertz vehicles are equipped with PlatePass. All the New York plated car I've gotten so far have had a plate pass transponder. Never rented with Hertz in Florida, but rented with Thrifty in 12/2013 (not sure when Hertz took over Dollar-Thrifty) and that Florida plated car did not have a plate pass transponder

PlatePass is simple from what I know - There is a metal box on the windshield where an EZ-Pass transponder or Sun-Pass transponder would go. You slide the metal door open if you want to use Plate pass, or you keep the door closed if you don't want to use plate pass.

There are some places that don't accept cash, which means that you either pay via Sunpass or EZ-Pass (depending on location) or with toll by plate. Toll by plate snaps a pic of the plate of the car, then sends it to the registered owner, which in this case, will be Hertz. Now I'm not 100% sure about the fees that Hertz charges, but I'm assuming that they charge the plate pass rates.

Again I'm not an expert on plate pass or toll by plate, but I'm passing along the information that I know
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:34 am

I rent from hertz in FL last Dec.

You can opt out simply by not open the plate pass box. Make sure the box is closed.

And, if you use the electronic-only highway (i.e sunpass only or pay by plate) and you just opt out the hertz's toll system, you need to create a sunpass account and load some money into it to pay for the toll. There's many sunpass only road near Miami.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I understand one can opt-out and buy a sunpass one-off sticker to put on the windscreen and link it to a sunpass account. If so, where can I buy one near MIA before getting into any toll road?

Last edited by wobbly wings; Mar 5, 2014 at 4:09 am
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:58 am

Platepass does not require a transponder for Sunpass, just as a FYI.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I understand one opt-out and buy a sunpass one-off sticker to put on the windscreen and link it to a sunpass account. If so, where can I buy one near MIA before getting into any toll road?
you can buy sunpass sticker from pretty much all the major grocery stores. I know for sure Publix has it.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wsnju
You can opt out simply by not open the plate pass box. Make sure the box is closed.
I'm almost certain there isn't a transponder in a box for Florida - that's in the Northeast for EZpass and parts of the Midwest.

And, if you use the electronic-only highway (i.e sunpass only or pay by plate) and you just opt out the hertz's toll system, you need to create a sunpass account and load some money into it to pay for the toll. There's many sunpass only road near Miami.
I could be wrong, but I think you're only referring to the express lanes on I-95 north of the airport. I'm not aware of any other SunPass-only tolls/roads, although to be fair, most of my Florida driving is in Broward and Palm Beach counties (which isn't particularly helpful to the OP who will be in RSW). To "opt out" of PlatePass in Florida, you can just use the traditional cash toll lanes, assuming they're available.
launcher likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm almost certain there isn't a transponder in a box for Florida - that's in the Northeast for EZpass and parts of the Midwest.

I could be wrong, but I think you're only referring to the express lanes on I-95 north of the airport. I'm not aware of any other SunPass-only tolls/roads, although to be fair, most of my Florida driving is in Broward and Palm Beach counties (which isn't particularly helpful to the OP who will be in RSW). To "opt out" of PlatePass in Florida, you can just use the traditional cash toll lanes, assuming they're available.
Correct me if I'm talking about the same place, but ran into a toll by plate only in the Miami area (I believe ~40 mins from Miami Beach), so there might be a handful of them around Florida, especially at the "less trafficked" area
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Quote:

Quote:

I rent a car with IL plate, and there is a plate pass box attached in the front window. Don't know if there's one in cars with FL plate. But I'm sure to opt out that system, you must make sure the box is closed even if you want to use a cash lane.

I just drive around Miami area, I'm sure there's many sunpass only turnpike there.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rent a car with IL plate, and there is a plate pass box attached in the front window. Don't know if there's one in cars with FL plate.
For Hertz, there is no transponder in cars in Florida. As I mentioned, there IS (or, there MAY BE) a transponder in certain states in the Northeast and Midwest, including Illinois. This is spelled out in the rental contract.

I just drive around Miami area, I'm sure there's many sunpass only turnpike there.
Interestingly it seems that yes, all tolls on the Florida Turnpike in Miami-Dade County have gone completely cashless, and I think there are other roads in other parts of the state. I had no idea (as I said earlier, I mostly drive in Broward/Palm Beach when I'm in that area, or if I go to Miami I take I-95.) The non-Turnpike tolls (like the Dolphin Expressway to the airport) still have a cash option.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/

Apparently the only way to opt out of the PlatePass extortion fees is to purchase your own SunPass. Unlike, say, the Golden Gate Bridge where you can pre-emptively make a one-time payment. The Miami system is VERY tourist un-friendly, I don't know how they got away with it.
launcher likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:29 pm

Ah just got a charge for $19.85 - $5 charge for the toll that I went through once, and a $14.85 service charge for my entire 3 day rental. Is it worth my time trying to get the service charge taken off, or get some extra points or no? Gotta love the Hudson bridge...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:38 pm

Yet another Platepass question in FL

I am in FLA this week and tonight was out on a cashless toll road and didn't realize it until I was on the toll road. Should I tell Hertz tomorrow when I return the car or will they just charge my credit card when the notice from the state comes in?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure South Florida (Miami specifically) is the only area in Florida where it is "cashless"
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Yet another Platepass question in FL

Orlando area has cashless too
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hm212
I am in FLA this week and tonight was out on a cashless toll road and didn't realize it until I was on the toll road. Should I tell Hertz tomorrow when I return the car or will they just charge my credit card when the notice from the state comes in?
They'll just charge your credit card, no need to do anything. It's spelled out in the rental agreement.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
If OP really is only going from RSW to Fort Myers Beach, s/he won't pass any tolls anyway.

Helpful hint: if you intend filling up with gas before returning the car to RSW, approach the airport from Alico Road (where there is a Hess gas station just a couple of miles from the airport) rather than along Daniels Parkway (where there is nothing).

PS: I've never ever been given a car with Platepass at RSW, and I've rented there many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.