Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Car Sales / Rent2Buy - Promotions - Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07

I'm looking into purchasing a retired Hertz vehicle. This is rarely discussed here.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

http://rewards.hertzcarsales.com/carSales

You've Earned a Bonus with Your Hertz Purchase

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a Hertz pre-owned vehicle.

With your recent purchase of a Hertz car, you have earned 2,750 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points. These points can be redeemed for free rental days and more around the world.

To receive your bonus, simply enter your 8-digit Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member number and Bill of Sale number to the right. The Bill of Sale number can be found on an insert in the packet you receive once the purchase is finalized.

If you're not already a Gold Plus Rewards member, sign up for free today, then return here to receive your bonus. As a member you can enjoy exclusive benefits such as the opportunity to earn free rentals with points that don't expire, valuable savings, and the fastest car rental pick-up and drop-off experience. Newly enrolled members will need to wait 48 hours for their membership to be processed before claiming your bonus.

Once you've registered your Bill of Sale number, you will receive 2,750 Gold Plus Rewards points in your Gold Plus Rewards member account.

Terms and Conditions
  • Only Hertz Gold Plus Rewards members qualify for the Hertz Car Sales® bonus with purchases starting October 15, 2013 or later.
  • Residency rules apply.
  • 2750 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Bonus Points, enough points for a free U.S. or Canada Standard Weekly Rental, will be provided to member's account within 5 days of successful registration on rewards.hertzcarsales.com.
  • Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member number and Bill of Sale# must be entered. Standard Rewards may not be available in all cities, at all times.
  • Comparable AnyDay Rewards are available for somewhat higher redemption values and have no blackouts.
  • Bonus points earned during this promotion are not eligible for any additional or tier bonuses.
  • This offer has no cash value.
  • Member must request to have Gold Plus Rewards in his profile to receive bonus points.
  • The minimum age for a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member is 21.
  • All Hertz Gold Plus Rewards terms apply. See hertz.com.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 28, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Promo code r2b021 gets $300 off any purchase.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reason: Removed: "Doesnt' seem to work on 'Certified' vehicle."
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Additionally, all vehicles are on sale, $1000 off for President's Day, through February 28th (Friday next).

Does anybody know how common these sales are? Or if one can negotiate an even better deal.

[EDIT: This "sale" seems to be status quo. See below.]

I have to say, the prices right now are pretty reasonable, especially considering the $1000 + $300 off. And the 2,750 points is a nice bonus, too, worth up to a few hundred if used well.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:50 am
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
From 2007-2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...car-hertz.html
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I've looked through there before, and did like the prices. I also like the 3 day test drive. My only issue is most are lower trim levels, and the fact that EVERYONE has rode her and stuff. Not sure if you can negotiate on prices, but we have an Enterprise car sales lot three miles from here. I would love to put them up against each other to get the best deal.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by KevinMD
I've looked through there before, and did like the prices. I also like the 3 day test drive. My only issue is most are lower trim levels, and the fact that EVERYONE has rode her and stuff. Not sure if you can negotiate on prices, but we have an Enterprise car sales lot three miles from here. I would love to put them up against each other to get the best deal.
I am not familiar with Hertz that much, but Avis does have better equipped luxury cars for sale. Though all of them need heavy body touch up. Their inside usually are much better kept. Also rental cars do not get their required service/maintanence. They just simply remove the service msg and that is all. The reason the do not do this, cause they sell the car before its required 2nd service, so you would be missing one service.

Last edited by makos; Feb 23, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:47 pm

Personally, I wouldn't... Although newer cars shouldn't have a problem being a rental per se, but just the fact that it was a rental does make me a bit uneasy with how cars have been maintained and driven by its hundreds, if not thousands, of drivers. Also, the value is significantly lower than privately owned or leased cars, so when you decide to resell the car, you will get less money usually, and you will lose potential buyers just because it was branded as a rental... However, I will say I do know some people who only buys former rentals and have no troubles, but just giving my 2 cents on the topic
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:36 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by makos
I am not familiar with Hertz that much, but Avis does have better equipped luxury cars for sale. Though all of them need heavy body touch up. Their inside usually are much better kept. Also rental cars do not get their required service/maintanence. They just simply remove the service msg and that is all. The reason the do not do this, cause they sell the car before its required 2nd service, so you would be missing one service.
Regarding the required service, I had rented a car recently from the Berkeley HLE where a car was due for service, but the manager refused to swap for another vehicle and had a staff member "reset" the car so it wouldn't give me the error message when driving.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Additionally, all vehicles are on sale, $1000 off for President's Day, through February 28th (Friday next).

Does anybody know how common these sales are? Or if one can negotiate an even better deal.

I have to say, the prices right now are pretty reasonable, especially considering the $1000 + $300 off. And the 2,750 points is a nice bonus, too, worth up to a few hundred if used well.
Well it turns out the $1000 off for President's Day expiring February 28th was a gimmick. Now, March 1, there is the same promo for $1,000 off called "March on in." LOL

Nevertheless, the pricing structure is really good. I think I'll be buying a 15,000 mile 2013 next week. With 21,000 miles of factory warranty behind it, I'm pretty confident. And the prices really are excellent.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
have any FTers has any recent experience with buying luxury models from Hertz? Seems like a good time as they are discarding thousands of vehicles due to the business conditions (reduced demand) and bankruptcy.

Never considered buying a rental vehicle but there are some great deals right now depending on the model. For me the primary deterrent is not the mileage or # of prior drivers but the fact that pretty much every vehicle is what we used to call “stripped” of options - a “base” model. However there are a few base models from the exotic, prestige and luxury collections that come loaded with great features. It seems many vehicles are also in the sweet spot for mileage with significant time still left on the manufacturers warranty.

I am currently considering a 2019 BMW 740I with 15k miles that had an MSRP of $80k+ but is priced at $45k. also saw a 2020 with 800 miles that was selling for $54k. Nice depreciation...
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
have any FTers has any recent experience with buying luxury models from Hertz? Seems like a good time as they are discarding thousands of vehicles due to the business conditions (reduced demand) and bankruptcy.

Never considered buying a rental vehicle but there are some great deals right now depending on the model. For me the primary deterrent is not the mileage or # of prior drivers but the fact that pretty much every vehicle is what we used to call “stripped” of options - a “base” model. However there are a few base models from the exotic, prestige and luxury collections that come loaded with great features. It seems many vehicles are also in the sweet spot for mileage with significant time still left on the manufacturers warranty.

I am currently considering a 2019 BMW 740I with 15k miles that had an MSRP of $80k+ but is priced at $45k. also saw a 2020 with 800 miles that was selling for $54k. Nice depreciation...
Try to find a better deal for a 2020, if you can. The 2020 has an upgraded interior/exterior design. I rented a 2020 a couple of times, I can't see them being abused. Good luck!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Ordpc
Try to find a better deal for a 2020, if you can. The 2020 has an upgraded interior/exterior design. I rented a 2020 a couple of times, I can't see them being abused. Good luck!
Good advice. They have a few 2020s, most with very low mileage. Of course the prices are approx $20k higher...

The abuse (as detailed extensively upthread) is of course a concern. As a responsible person I would expect some of the people who can afford to rent the high end cars would treat them carefully so as to avoid insurance claims. But of course there will be youngsters & others that splurge to impress their friends and test limits. For me geography is more critical, and fortunately most of the vehicles out here are from California, Nevada and Arizona rental locations, as evidenced by the title records.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 14, 2020 at 8:45 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks for bumping, as I have been looking at this as well. Seems locally some Cadillacs are at a pretty good discount. BMW/Infinity not so much.

Haven't come across anything good enough to purchase, but checking often.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I've also been keeping an eye on things. Saw some excellent deals on Jaguars but... as good as the discount off Blue Book is I'm not sold based on my rentals. Been searching for BMW deals...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.