Upgrades at Las Vegas Airport ??

Old Feb 19, 14, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 5*
Upgrades at Las Vegas Airport ??

Hey all,
Am fishing for more info, etc.... I did a post a while back on booking an Adrenaline car from Hertz Las Vegas, received some good info, etc etc, but didn't book anything at the time and missed the discount option...

But a CDP offer to me has popped up which is good, so looking at my options to book again, and have just read through 20 pages worth of "list your free upgrades" , can see some rentals from normal cars to V8's for free and with costs, etc...
But heres my question....

I'm looking to book: (via Hertz.co.uk)
FCAR (Chevvy Impala) - Rate includes Full insurance/CDW/LIS/Xtra Driver.
Best deal is for me to pre-pay for the rental which is: 134 / $223 for 1 week rental - Monday to Monday...

We haven't used Hertz before, but have since signed up to Hertz Gold...

Have any of you booked a Mid or Full size Car, and then negotiated a deal at the Desk/Gold desk to get a Camero SS/Mustang/Challenger from the Adrenaline Range....
Am curious as to what amount you paid to upgrade? Or was you Turned down and given the car you booked with no Upgrade options at all..

If for example you managed to get an upgrade for $30 per day, would that include tax and would you pay that amount at the counter (keep in mind our rental will be prepaid).....
cheers
Old Feb 19, 14, 10:45 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuartUK View Post
Hey all,
Am fishing for more info, etc.... I did a post a while back on booking an Adrenaline car from Hertz Las Vegas, received some good info, etc etc, but didn't book anything at the time and missed the discount option...

But a CDP offer to me has popped up which is good, so looking at my options to book again, and have just read through 20 pages worth of "list your free upgrades" , can see some rentals from normal cars to V8's for free and with costs, etc...

Best deal is for me to pre-pay for the rental which is: 134 / $223 for 1 week rental - Monday to Monday...

Have any of you booked a Mid or Full size Car, and then negotiated a deal at the Desk/Gold desk to get a Camero SS/Mustang/Challenger from the Adrenaline Range....
Am curious as to what amount you paid to upgrade? Or was you Turned down and given the car you booked with no Upgrade options at all..

If for example you managed to get an upgrade for $30 per day, would that include tax and would you pay that amount at the counter (keep in mind our rental will be prepaid).....
cheers
Both of your scenarios are possible, as upgrades are based on availability. You may be able to upgrade to your desired care anywhere from $25-75 day, depending on the agent. Those costs do not include taxes and fees. The additional cost would be billed to your credit card.

It is also possible that you wont have any upgrade options and will be left with the car that you have booked. If you are happy with the car you booked, keep the reservation. if you really need an Adrenaline, you should book it.
Old Feb 19, 14, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by StuartUK View Post
Hey all,

cheers
An option for an upgrade is likely at LAS, although it will depend on the exact inventory levels when you come... They might have 15 adrenaline collection cars on the lot they want to get rid of, or they might not have any...

I would suggest that if you really want an Adrenaline collection car, to reserve it, because negotiating at the desk may or may not net the results you want... Ultimately, it all depends on their inventory level at the time you arrive... If you want to take a chance for an at counter upgrade, then go for it knowing you might be in an FCAR, especially if the agent sees you are from overseas and tries to take advantage of your desire to upgrade

The upgrade fee would be pre-tax as far as I know...
Old Feb 19, 14, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I would agree with marvanit and CTNYC.
This same question came up in this very recent thread (post #4 onwards) and the answer is the same: if you want a collection car - reserve it.
Old Feb 19, 14, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
As CTNYC says, it all depends on inventory levels.

If they are well endowed with Adrenaline cars, and have relatively few reservations vs stock levels, you will probably be able to get one for around $40 a day (plus taxes) above a Group C reservation rate. But if they have fewer, you may be offered the same car for $100+ a day.

It all depends.

So CTNYC's advice is good. Book the minimum you are prepared to accept, and if you are lucky, you may be able to get a good deal on the day, but don't count on it.
Old Feb 20, 14, 3:21 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
First of all: Go to the spanish/german/Irish/Belgium website of Hertz too and compare the price to the UK one. i'd say 70+% of time it comes out cheaper.

I ALWAYS book economy car at LAS cause 95+% of the time they have LOADS of adrenaline cars available (october-march). Like everyone said here: usually between 30-80$ per day depending on what car you want and how good you can negotiate (never accept first offer and always ask for manager after counter offer and be very nice). Also at LAS there is one particular girl working (downstairs at gold in front of the board with the names) who is always the friendliest and gives you amazing (best) rates. If you want i can DM her name to you and you can ask for her when you get there.

Also use the Platinum AMEX CDP which always gives you 20% discount aswell when pre-booking. Never been asked for it in 25+ bookings so safe to do so!
Old Feb 20, 14, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 5*
cheers for the info
I am not an AMEX member, so I cant use that CDP....
Also, the CDP I do have includes 2 drivers and 10% discount, so works good...

Understood about booking the car that I do want, just in case it don't work out!
I just like the idea of negotiating a deal and of course, saving 60 ($100) off the rental!
I guessed as its a Monday rental, most sporty cars would have been returned on the Sunday from the weekend people.....
But like you all say, book the minimum were prepared to have, and then hope an upgrade is possible... or just bite the bullet and pay $600 for 1 week rental!
Old May 21, 14, 1:49 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
I'm headed to Vegas early July, doing a 11 day oneway rental to SFO, we're a large group who'll need large 5-6-seater and obviously not looking for Adrenaline range.
My CDP gives tons of privileges; free child-seats, extra driver as well as complimentary upgrade to BEST available vehicle (Excluding prestige and adrenaline). The latter term seems to be hard to swallow for most agents and station managers, even when I bring a copy of the T&C as proof. However, BCN and AGP now "have seen the light" and effortlessly provide me with the cream of the crop.
From those of you in the know in Vegas, how resilient might they be in providing me with a "suitable" car?
Old May 21, 14, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
From those of you in the know in Vegas, how resilient might they be in providing me with a "suitable" car?
You're doing a one-way from LAS to SFO: don't expect to get the "cream of the crop". You may get a vehicle the location wants to send back to San Francisco. You have less leverage with a one-way. Adjust expectations accordingly.
Old May 23, 14, 4:34 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
You're doing a one-way from LAS to SFO: don't expect to get the "cream of the crop". You may get a vehicle the location wants to send back to San Francisco. You have less leverage with a one-way. Adjust expectations accordingly.
I see your point, however if the website does show availability for a one-way rental for a "cream of the Crop" vehicle they are according to the T&C obliged to give it to me. Alas my question is more directed to those that frequent LAS fairly often: How "good" are they at fulfilling their obligations and how is the station managed as general?
Old May 25, 14, 5:14 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
For me, LAS used to be one of the most generous upgrade locations but is no longer quite as generous. But still more generous than some other cities.

By this I mean on low priced reservations I've gone from being offered BMW's to being offered a Chevy Impala. Still a multi-class upgrade, but nowhere near as nice.\

What are some of the upgrades you've been given with this CDP? And what class do you rent to get this privilege?
Old May 25, 14, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
For me, LAS used to be one of the most generous upgrade locations but is no longer quite as generous. But still more generous than some other cities.

By this I mean on low priced reservations I've gone from being offered BMW's to being offered a Chevy Impala. Still a multi-class upgrade, but nowhere near as nice.\

What are some of the upgrades you've been given with this CDP? And what class do you rent to get this privilege?
In general I rent in continental Europe, particularly Spain, Italy and France. Some of the locations do not feature a full fleet, so a topnotch vehicle may be unobtainable at any time, typically I'll book a VW Golf or BMW 1-series.
Upgfrades have been
Volvo X60
BMW X-3
Mercedes C- E- and CLS class.
BMW 3- and 5- series.
Ssangsonyong Radius (We were 6 pax, needed a roomy one, rotten ride).
Old May 27, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Southwest RR, HHonors, Hertz Gold
In general I rent in continental Europe, particularly Spain, Italy and France. Some of the locations do not feature a full fleet, so a topnotch vehicle may be unobtainable at any time, typically I'll book a VW Golf or BMW 1-series.
Upgfrades have been
Volvo X60
BMW X-3
Mercedes C- E- and CLS class.
BMW 3- and 5- series.
Ssangsonyong Radius (We were 6 pax, needed a roomy one, rotten ride).

Not sure if you CDP allows you to upgrade to an SUV but you may want to try and get a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Explorer, particularly if the five passengers are full sized adults. The trip by car from Vegas to San Fran is 570 miles. A full sized SUV or mini van will give ya plenty of room to stretch out without being cramped + whatever luggage you bring. Also, not sure if it will fit into your schedule, but you may want to drop off in Oakland instead of SFO. SF is a pain to drive in if you have a "large" vehicle, let a lone trying to parallel park or pay $40+ for parking.
Old May 27, 14, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze View Post
Not sure if you CDP allows you to upgrade to an SUV but you may want to try and get a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Explorer, particularly if the five passengers are full sized adults. The trip by car from Vegas to San Fran is 570 miles. A full sized SUV or mini van will give ya plenty of room to stretch out without being cramped + whatever luggage you bring. Also, not sure if it will fit into your schedule, but you may want to drop off in Oakland instead of SFO. SF is a pain to drive in if you have a "large" vehicle, let a lone trying to parallel park or pay $40+ for parking.
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I've got a booking out of SFO. We're doing the scenic route, LAS-LA, then 6 days in LA before we embark on Hway #1. There is no limit to car class except Prestige vehicles, so a SUV would probably be most welcome.
Old May 27, 14, 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I've got a booking out of SFO. We're doing the scenic route, LAS-LA, then 6 days in LA before we embark on Hway #1. There is no limit to car class except Prestige vehicles, so a SUV would probably be most welcome.
I would look to the minivans, but only if you can get the Chrysler Town and Country. I have driven multiple times over 2000 miles in them and they are definitely comfortable for the long haul. Hertz fleet of these are VERY well optioned. Most of the time when I rent they are leather, Sirius, power, USB, and DVD entertainment system. Warning though, many minivans in the fleet are Dodge Caravan's and they are definitely bare bones.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: