Unquoted one-way fee from city to airport

Old Feb 16, 14, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG
Unquoted one-way fee from city to airport

Yesterday I hired a car at Brisbane downtown, and returned it to BNE airport. I'd made my reservation with these selected as the pickup and dropoff locations, and it still quoted out at $75ish, so I really wasn't expecting to get hit with a $25 additional "one way" fee when I dropped it off.

I was under the impression that (a) one-way fees are usually part of the quoted price, and (b ) there's usually no one-way fee between city and airport anyway. Disregarding (b ) though, isn't (a) usually the case? Or is that only with other car rental places?

Is it worth fighting Hertz to try and get a refund on this one? If they'd quoted me the fee in the first place I would have made different plans.
Old Feb 16, 14, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they're trying to charge you more money than you were quoted in your reservation, and you picked up/dropped off at the same locations and times as your reservation, then yes, I'd fight the charge.

If Hertz won't reverse it, I'm sure your credit card issuer will.
Old Feb 16, 14, 11:10 pm

As ijgordon said, if your quoted price did not include the charges, than I would complain to Hertz (I recommend reaching out to Hertz Twitter as I have personally gotten the most effective results)
Old Feb 16, 14, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Decide how much your time us worth per hour and budget your efforts accordingly.
Old Feb 16, 14, 11:25 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, Hilton Diamond
Hey Jorgen,

If your initial printed off reservation, yet more importantly your rental contract from the Brisbane City office does not have a charge for a one way fee (usually it says One Way Fee $0.00) then absolutely that could of been removed by our team in the carpark office at Brisbane airport or through a customer relations team as our return handheld system sometimes accidentally does charge even through the reservation didn't have one.

It is standard procedure in Australia for oneway fees between the Airport & City locations (from $25 + gst) depending on your contract CDP.

Do PM me if you need any other help.
Old Feb 16, 14, 11:53 pm
Suspended

When hiring from Brisbane City to the Airport, the drop fee is , ime, included in the total estimated price at time of booking

There is normally a drop fee between Brisbane Downtown and Brisbane Airport

I have just tried a dummy booking with no discount codes for a 1 day rental and a group C is pricing out on the site at $84.49 which includes the drop fee . When booking to return to Brisbane downtown the rate drops to $54.38

How much were you charged in total , what did the Rental Agreement say when you picked it up and what was the price quoted at booking time?

If the final invoice is different from the rental agreement, then I would give Hertz Customer services a call on 03 9698 2444 and they will sort it out within a few days
Old Feb 16, 14, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG
Thanks austgap. I have the confirmation email but not the actual docs from the rental office, which I didn't look at. I would have got it dealt with at BNE but I was running late for my flight. I'll check my reservation again and then shoot off an email to query it, especially now I know that the scanner will sometimes add $25 accidentally.

I don't see anything in the email about $0.00 for one way fee, but I do see:

The total rate for your SPECIFIC RATE was calculated based on the following:
Unlimited Free Kilometers Included

Included
Taxes
LOCATION FEE
Vehicle registration recovery
Admin Recovery

Base Amount:
1 day at 56.23 AUD

Vehicle Subtotal 75.31 AUD

Extras Subtotal 0.0 AUD

Total Approximate Charge 75.31 AUD
Which I think a reasonable person would take as meaning "no one way fee".

For what it's worth I was using my corporate CDP.
Old Feb 17, 14, 1:01 am
Suspended

That quote seems to indicate that there was no one-way fee to be applied. I would just telephone customer relations and they will be able to sort you out

If there was a drop fee in the quote , then "drop fee" would be listed in the inclusions
Old Feb 17, 14, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Thanks austgap. I have the confirmation email but not the actual docs from the rental office, which I didn't look at.
You didn't even look at the rental contract?!?!?
Old Feb 18, 14, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
You didn't even look at the rental contract?!?!?
100% agree with this ^ I've been given a free upgrade from an ICAR to an F6 once at an HLE, but the agent "forgot" to make the upgrade free, but thankfully I caught it before I left the garage ^

In general however, I've found Hertz to be pretty good with their contract prices (actually, often times, I get a 10% discount when I return the car that is never in the initial contract/quote ^^) but any company or employee or computer can make an host mistake, so it is always good to double check
Old Feb 18, 14, 12:21 pm

Does Hertz usually charge a drop fee in the same city?

Got quoted $25 all in for an ICAR at DCA and drop at Union Station in Washington DC with no mention of a drop fee... I could drop off the car at DCA, but dropping off at Union Station would save me maybe 30-45 minutes and a Metro fare card
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by CTNYC View Post
Does Hertz usually charge a drop fee in the same city?

Got quoted $25 all in for an ICAR at DCA and drop at Union Station in Washington DC with no mention of a drop fee... I could drop off the car at DCA, but dropping off at Union Station would save me maybe 30-45 minutes and a Metro fare card
They rarely charge a "drop fee" as such (I've never seen one in the US, but I have in other countries), however they do frequently vary the price for a one-way rental. ie, instead of being $20/day for returning to the same location, it may be $50/day to return elsewhere.

In all cases, this will be displayed when you book, and shown in the total price. (baring issues such as that experienced by the OP here!)
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
They rarely charge a "drop fee" as such (I've never seen one in the US, but I have in other countries), however they do frequently vary the price for a one-way rental. ie, instead of being $20/day for returning to the same location, it may be $50/day to return elsewhere.

In all cases, this will be displayed when you book, and shown in the total price. (baring issues such as that experienced by the OP here!)
Ok they are charging the same rate ($15/day for an ICAR) for pick up DCA and drop at Union station - I'll be sure to check the printed contract before leaving the gate
Old Feb 22, 14, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by CTNYC View Post
As ijgordon said, if your quoted price did not include the charges, than I would complain to Hertz (I recommend reaching out to Hertz Twitter as I have personally gotten the most effective results)
I'd like to know more about using Twitter for something like this.

Personally, I always use the telephone to customer service, and usually works well.

Email is a black hole.
Old Feb 22, 14, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
I'd like to know more about using Twitter for something like this.

Personally, I always use the telephone to customer service, and usually works well.

Email is a black hole.
Make a twitter account if you don't have one, then follow Hertz (@Hertz). Then tweet at them (your tweak should look like "@Hertz *Very brief complaint*)

Then when Hertz sees your tweet at them, they should respond something like "@yourtwitterhandle Hello, please follow & DM your rental record #, we will be happy to take a look" and then they follow you so that you can direct message them the details of your complaint...

For me, I got a response tweet within 15-20 mins, then after direct messaging them, it took about 1 hour and 15 mins for the issue to be solved

If you need any more help/have questions, feel free to DM me

Search this Thread
Search Engine: