Wiki Posts
Search

Can't use points to rent a Jeep Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Can't use points to rent a Jeep Wrangler

I have a trip to Hawaii planned next year and tried to use my points to rent a Jeep Wrangler. The system kept saying I did not have enough points(I have 8000 points and was looking for a 3 day rental). I called the reservation desk and was told you cannot use points to rent a Jeep Wrangler. I know this is probably a propular car in Hawaii but is this normal? Do they exclude other cars?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
I was in a similar situation before when I tried to use my hertz points in Maui. I wanted a convertible, but it's not even in the list. So ended up paying $360+ for a weekly rental with Budget, which is a pretty good deal in my book. So look around, and you might find something better..
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
There's no option for this in the awards table so I would presume one cannot rent a Wrangler on points, along with vehicles like the passenger van, cargo van, pickup, and Dream Cars.

Saw your post on the Hertz Hub... good luck getting a Wrangler on points elsewhere. Hertz probably has more than any other agency, though they are more common in Hawaii I suppose.

-J.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by travelsg
I was in a similar situation before when I tried to use my hertz points in Maui. I wanted a convertible, but it's not even in the list. So ended up paying $360+ for a weekly rental with Budget, which is a pretty good deal in my book. So look around, and you might find something better..
Did you not have enough points for it? It is considered a "specialty vehicle" on the awards table.

-J.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Did you not have enough points for it? It is considered a "specialty vehicle" on the awards table.

-J.
I had 8k points in my account. If that's not enough, it just validated my point - it's not worth blowing your hard-earned points on a rental you can get at a reasonable rate from somewhere else.

I will leave my points to one-way rental in the future where the rate is always ridiculous regardless of the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.