Search

Which dream car is the best deal? SAN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Which dream car is the best deal? SAN

Hi all,

I'm thinking about splurging on my b-day weekend in January for a 2 day dream car rental out at SAN.. I can use XCT1 and grab one for $199++

Only 3 cars really worth it, the Penske GT, Porsche 911 and Panamera.

Which do you think is worth the $199++? I'm also considering booking Premium at $34.99 and seeing if they'd let me upgrade into one at $100 and save some cash, but it seems SAN is a terrible place to obtain decent upgrades(based on free upgrades thread). I've never driven a Porsche but almost all types of mid level mercedes(c63, ml63), and tried out a Camaro SS(if that compares to Penske). Looks like all three cars can be booked under $199 at different airports but I won't be in LAX/SFO long enough to rent a car the next three months or so

Thanks in adv for your input!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I've driven the Penske, and it's a real blast....... definitely worth getting one as we don't know how long they will be around.

Subject to availability, you should be able to get one for $75 to $99 a day over a regular reservation, and devoid of mileage limit. But availability will be your challenge - they don't seem to have many in SoCal (only ever seen one at LAX), whereas if you got PHX there are loads there (12 was the most I saw at one time!).

The Panamera will be a very different sort of experience - sybaritic luxury barge with a turn of speed.

I think I would go for the 911 if you can get one for the price you targetted, though - every car enthusiast has to drive a 911 (shame on me, I've not yet, but I will try to get a Hertz one).

Whatever you pick, you'll have fun, for sure.

(I'm debating an M5 or an F Type from Hertz in either Munich or Nice for my next birthday!)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
SAN has plenty of good cars.

There are always Porsches, but not sure if you can score good rate on them. Be super nice and friendly to manager, mention it's your birthday and he may hook you up.

I rented Penske from LAX, few weeks ago. that was absolute blast! so much fun.
You may also consider a Corvette, if they still have those around.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Tried all three. 911 by far the best ride.! Also recently tried the new Shelby GT-H. Looked really cool but doesn't even compare to how the 911 drives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.