Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pick up at JFK, drop off at Midtown Manhattan/34th --> fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Will be picking up a car Wednesday 7 a.m. from JFK. G class using a business rewards cert. Paid upgrade to Prestige if reasonable/available. I booked with intent to drop off at JFK Thursday 6:00 a.m.

What happens if I decide to take Amtrak instead of a flight, and I drop the car off at 34th St at 6:30 a.m. Thursday? Is a one-way fee usually assessed within NYC like this, and if so, approximately how much? Will I be prevented from dropping it off if it's something like an E-class Mercedes?

The fee is probably fine if there is one, but I don't want to be stuck with some guy telling me I have to go to the airport -- and I won't know whether I need to drop off at JFK or 34th St until after I pick it up.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold

I've never had a one-way fee or rate increase taking a car from an AP to the city or vice versa, but YMMV.

Why not make your res to return to the city? Err on the side of having the potentially more expensive res. If you return to JFK the rate will re-calc and may be cheaper, though it will likely be identical.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

It is possible and depends on the rate. You are better off having them redo the contract before you drive off from JFK to avoid surprises.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:52 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The "fee" I've seen is reflected in the rate. A rental JFK-JFK prices out differently than a JFK-Manhattan rental. This is true for ZE1 awards as well; JFK-Manhattan is going to be a One-Way Award. I don't know if your cert allows for one-ways; as others have said, it's best to call and find out.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thanks for the replies. The cert does not work with one-way when booking. But -- I recently had a similar reservation from DCA where I had to drop it off at Union Station, and all that happened was that I was assessed some random ($20? $25) fee - the coupon was still applied. Not sure if it mattered in that case that I had tendered the cert at pickup at DCA, but nothing was said about it.

Will give the local office a call if I need to change it to one-way, then the extension desk if needed. I don't want to reserve it as a one-way because then I won't be able to put the cert in, and I've had great difficulty adding coupons etc. at the end of a rental that weren't already in the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.