Quality of cars in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Oct 24, 13, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Question Quality of cars in Bangkok, Thailand

Does anyone have feedback on Hertz in Thailand? I'm interested in the newness/quality of their fleet, as well as any another other feedback.

I've got a 'premium' SUV booked from the Silom office in Bangkok next month, but I've seen cheaper quotes from a Thai company that'll save me hundreds of the duration of my 6 week rental. However, I know that I'm likely to get an older (probably 3 years), higher mileage vehicle from the local company... so am curious to know if I'm likely to get better from Hertz.

I have my own annual rental insurance, so I also have to check whether they'd cover a local provider anyway.

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 13, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
Does anyone have feedback on Hertz in Thailand? I'm interested in the newness/quality of their fleet, as well as any another other feedback.

I've got a 'premium' SUV booked from the Silom office in Bangkok next month, but I've seen cheaper quotes from a Thai company that'll save me hundreds of the duration of my 6 week rental. However, I know that I'm likely to get an older (probably 3 years), higher mileage vehicle from the local company... so am curious to know if I'm likely to get better from Hertz.

I have my own annual rental insurance, so I also have to check whether they'd cover a local provider anyway.

Thanks
You're going to drive in Bangkok? You are a brave, brave person.
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
You're going to drive in Bangkok? You are a brave, brave person.
Ha! It's ok, I've done it before. I wouldn't want to ride a scooter in Bangkok, but a car's not too bad if you used to driving in major cities (I drive regularly in London and New York). The general rule is that biggest vehicle gets priority, hence why I've gone for an SUV.

Good insurance is also a must. I drive so much abroad throughout the year that I have a very comprehensive car rental insurance policy, so just decline any non-standard insurance the providers offer me. No accidents yet in 15 years!
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:02 pm

I don't have any experience with the Thai Hertz fleet but wouldn't the money be better spent on hiring a driver? This would save a ton of hassle and the time saved from not having to find parking would be significant.
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kenneth Chong View Post
I don't have any experience with the Thai Hertz fleet but wouldn't the money be better spent on hiring a driver? This would save a ton of hassle and the time saved from not having to find parking would be significant.
+++++ ! Probably cheaper too. The driver will know how to negotiate BKK's byzantine roadways. Not to mention how to avoid traffic. There are many hrs of the day you really need to take BTS or MRT to get anywhere. Remember, even if somebody runs a red and t-bones you - it'll be your fault. I rent elsewhere in Thailand, but wouldn't even consider it in BKK.
Old Oct 27, 13, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Just to clarify though, I'm picking up in Bangkok, but actually driving at least 4,000km over the 6 week period I have the vehicle. I'll also be bring my dashcam for insurance purposes. I've driven in Thailand and similar driving environments before... no incidents yet - touch wood!

As said though, if short distances or day trips are involved, then a driver or taxi is definitely recommended in Thailand.
Old Oct 27, 13, 9:32 am

How much will it cost for renting the car for 6 weeks in Thailand?
Old Oct 27, 13, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Earthlings View Post
How much will it cost for renting the car for 6 weeks in Thailand?
1,455 baht/day... about 47 USD.
Old Oct 28, 13, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
I'll also be bring my dashcam for insurance purposes.
Something that will vanish in a flash when you get in a serious accident involving a Thai.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: