Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Charged for damage to a rental I did not damage - Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I've read about this situation in a few threads on this site so I thought I would would start my own thread to see if anyone has advice on what to do when getting a letter from Viking Billing Service for supposedly damaging a Hertz rental car.

I rented a car from Hertz back in March from the Phoenix airport. After I drove the car off the airport grounds, I noticed a rattle that seemed to be coming from the car. I was driving city streets so it was hard to pinpoint if the noise was from the car I was driving or was a sound I was hearing from somewhere else.

I pulled over and looked for what could be making the sound. At one point I thought it was the driver's side rear view mirror. Looking under the car, I noticed there was some piece of plastic hanging down from the car. I drove the car back to the rental agency - taking city streets as I was afraid to drive on the highway. I reported the issue to a clerk at Hertz who filled out a Vehicle Incident Report in which he listed under the section entitled Driver/Customer Statement "Air Dam Came Loose." He then issued me another car.

The letter I've now received from Viking Billing Service states that the car was involved in an accident, or the vehicle was returned with damages. They are asking me to pay $173 for damage I did not inflict on the car.

I've left phone messages for the folks at Hertz - figured I would start with them instead of Viking as the letters seems sort of suspect. I have not heard back from Hertz.

Can anyone help me with ideas of how I might go about resolving this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SmickInSD
I've read about this situation in a few threads on this site so I thought I would would start my own thread to see if anyone has advice on what to do when getting a letter from Viking Billing Service for supposedly damaging a Hertz rental car.

I rented a car from Hertz back in March from the Phoenix airport. After I drove the car off the airport grounds, I noticed a rattle that seemed to be coming from the car. I was driving city streets so it was hard to pinpoint if the noise was from the car I was driving or was a sound I was hearing from somewhere else.

I pulled over and looked for what could be making the sound. At one point I thought it was the driver's side rear view mirror. Looking under the car, I noticed there was some piece of plastic hanging down from the car. I drove the car back to the rental agency - taking city streets as I was afraid to drive on the highway. I reported the issue to a clerk at Hertz who filled out a Vehicle Incident Report in which he listed under the section entitled Driver/Customer Statement "Air Dam Came Loose." He then issued me another car.

The letter I've now received from Viking Billing Service states that the car was involved in an accident, or the vehicle was returned with damages. They are asking me to pay $173 for damage I did not inflict on the car.

I've left phone messages for the folks at Hertz - figured I would start with them instead of Viking as the letters seems sort of suspect. I have not heard back from Hertz.

Can anyone help me with ideas of how I might go about resolving this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Although I can't yet offer any advice, I also just received a letter from Viking Billing Services demanding$788 for purported damages to a Hertz rental car last October 3rd. Haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about. I did rent from Hertz that day but the car was returned undamaged on the 4th....
This is the first I've heard of any supposed damage to the car from a rental almost a year ago.
This feels like a scam to me.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
Not a scam, this happened to me. See my post here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...idnt-rent.html
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by aviator4512
Not a scam, this happened to me. See my post here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...idnt-rent.html
Thanks, aviator4512.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:52 am

Don't ignore the letter; but respond back that you did not damage the vehicle and were not involved in any accident and let them come back.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag
Although I can't yet offer any advice, I also just received a letter from Viking Billing Services demanding$788 for purported damages to a Hertz rental car last October 3rd. Haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about. I did rent from Hertz that day but the car was returned undamaged on the 4th....
This is the first I've heard of any supposed damage to the car from a rental almost a year ago.
This feels like a scam to me.
Well, I just finally heard back from Viking Billing Services, who provided the "proof of damage" today - 1 year and 7 weeks after the damage occurred and almost 2 months after I requested documentation and photos. The photos show a slight white scuff on the front bumper which is very difficult to see since the bumper is dirty. The scratch was probably there when i picked up the car at 11:42 p.m. after an 18 hour workday but could of course have happened while the car was parked.

Normally I would submit this to Diner's Club, but after the absurd 1 year delay between the rental date and the first contact from Viking regarding this, that will no longer be possible.

DC's primary coverage requires claims to be reported within the following timeframe:
. Claims must be reported within 30 days from the loss/accident and the following documentation must be submitted within 180 days of the loss/accident

We have company coverage for car rentals so I'll turn this over to them to sort out at this point. But ultimately they're probably going to lose a long-time Gold/5 Star customer due to the way this has been handled. I absolutely expect to have to pay for any damage done to a rental car while in my possession, but to be dunned a year later with no prior communication?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbjag
Well, I just finally heard back from Viking Billing Services, who provided the "proof of damage" today - 1 year and 7 weeks after the damage occurred and almost 2 months after I requested documentation and photos. The photos show a slight white scuff on the front bumper which is very difficult to see since the bumper is dirty. The scratch was probably there when i picked up the car at 11:42 p.m. after an 18 hour workday but could of course have happened while the car was parked.

Normally I would submit this to Diner's Club, but after the absurd 1 year delay between the rental date and the first contact from Viking regarding this, that will no longer be possible.

DC's primary coverage requires claims to be reported within the following timeframe:
. Claims must be reported within 30 days from the loss/accident and the following documentation must be submitted within 180 days of the loss/accident

We have company coverage for car rentals so I'll turn this over to them to sort out at this point. But ultimately they're probably going to lose a long-time Gold/5 Star customer due to the way this has been handled. I absolutely expect to have to pay for any damage done to a rental car while in my possession, but to be dunned a year later with no prior communication?
Presume that when you returned it, damage was neither noted nor cited. If that's the case, I would ask them for a complete collection of paperwork--including the location and employee who checked your car back in. What an annoyance, but hopefully they will quickly realize that they had a responsibility to point the damage out to you upon return of the vehicle (and surely, much sooner than 1 year plus...). I bet they looked to see who had CDW covered by an employer or CDP...easy mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.