Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Non-Airport Hertz Locations in San Francisco?

Old Sep 5, 13, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold

Hi,

I was wondering how people have found Hertz in San Francisco, the one at 325 Mason Street?

I am trying to decide between Hertz and Avis on Post St for a 11 day rental dropping off at LAX.

The price for both is pretty much the same for a full size.

Which one of these locations stores the most vehicles?

The reviews for both are a mixed bag on yelp.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 5, 13, 1:40 pm

Programs: None
your key is early in the morning and more selection on Monday. If you can get a Fri or Saturday, might have more selection due to returns, but early in the morning, I am talking about 7am or you will hit some lines.
Old Sep 5, 13, 5:31 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
325 Mason is one of the larger Hertz in SF. It's a shared parking garage with a few other rental company there.

You can always pickup at 325 Mason and exchange at SFO/other locations
Old Sep 5, 13, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by travelingchumley View Post
your key is early in the morning and more selection on Monday. If you can get a Fri or Saturday, might have more selection due to returns, but early in the morning, I am talking about 7am or you will hit some lines.
This is a busy HLE. You may also see lines on Friday pm and Saturday am.
Old Sep 5, 13, 8:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Spire Ambassador, ALL Plat, Hyatt Disc
Mason street, as far as I know, is actually not an HLE. It is a regular Hertz location located inside the city at a non-airport location. They do tend to have a larger vehicle selection and may have more specialty vehicles than a normal HLE location. The HLE location is actually about 2.5 blocks west on O'Farrell (550) and the prices can sometimes be lower, however they often times will be similar to Mason Street.

As stated above, if Mason Street does not have particular vehicle or selection you may try to exchange the vehicle at SFO where they generally have larger inventory. This won't guarantee a "better" vehicle and often times you may get what they have left, especially for a one-way rental to a different Own location.

If the prices are similar I'd suggest Mason Street over the HLE. I don't have much experience with the Avis, however my rental experience Mason Street was generally fine and I generally received a low mileage vehicle.
Old Sep 6, 13, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I checked the prices at the nearby HLE but it was the same so guess the Mason st will be best as its bigger.

I am renting on a Wednesday. Not sure if that is good or bad in terms of selection?

I was thinking to collect at 9am but am now wondering if I should go earlier based on your comments about the queues?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 8, 16, 9:16 am

Programs: CX MPC
Best HLE in San Francisco on a Friday afternoon

Staying at the Four Seasons on Market Street in San Francisco in a few weeks time and need to pick up a car on a Friday afternoon (not ideal, but have not choice) to drive down to Monterey Bay.
Anyone have any recommendations about which HLE in that area is the best to to use, especially for a Presidents Circle member renting on a Friday afternoon? The closest Hertz appears to be at Marriott Marquis on 780 Market but it closes at 3pm which may be too early for us. There's another at 325 Mason, but several reviews refer to long waits there. And perhaps there are others that I've missed?
If anyone has any experience of either of those locations (or any others nearby) giving good treatment to Presidents Circle members I'd be particularly grateful to know?
Old Dec 27, 16, 7:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Older thread on this topic - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...francisco.html

I was staying at the Marquis last week and needed a car on my last day. While there is a Hertz desk in the hotel, there is a $12.00 valet fee (paid directly to the valet) so I walked to Mason Street (about five minutes). I noted during my stay that there were Hertz employees shuttling cars over from Mason Street to the Marquis.

There was no line at Mason Street (there is a dedicated one for Gold members). As a PC, I got an upgrade from a C reservation to a YF Sonata. I looked around the second floor of the garage and noted that the other F cars was an F Impala Classic and an F6 Altima. I saw one Mercedes C Class and a Chevy Yukon; all the other cars were Japanese and Korean Mid-Size and Compact cars.
Old Feb 28, 17, 3:01 am

which Hertz location in downtown sfo (near market street) is recommendable and has a wider choice ?
(hertz gold, will rent a suv oneway 2 weeks).
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:55 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think the Mason Street location mentioned in this thread is the best option. Here's my experience from a few months ago:

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I was staying at the Marquis last week and needed a car on my last day. While there is a Hertz desk in the hotel, there is a $12.00 valet fee (paid directly to the valet) so I walked to Mason Street (about five minutes). I noted during my stay that there were Hertz employees shuttling cars over from Mason Street to the Marquis.

There was no line at Mason Street (there is a dedicated one for Gold members). As a PC, I got an upgrade from a C reservation to a YF Sonata. I looked around the second floor of the garage and noted that the other F cars was an F Impala Classic and an F6 Altima. I saw one Mercedes C Class and a Chevy Yukon; all the other cars were Japanese and Korean Mid-Size and Compact cars.
Old Mar 1, 17, 3:32 am

Thank you :-)

yesterday i checked rates of Hertz for mid of April - horrible. I will try another rental company...

(Hertz 2 weeks 800 Dollar for SUV, Dollar 500 Dollar !! )
Old Jul 20, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any experience during Covid times. Am planning to drive to Park City UT in later September rather than flying. Am a 30+ plus Hertz gold club, now Presidents Circle member. Almost 100% of our rentals have been in airports all this time but now I would rather go to a local SF location than brave the airport. Mason St. looks like the best bet for getting a good car - PC or not. Thoughts or experience about this?

If I am reading the cancellation policy correctly is Hertz now charging $100 for reservations cancelled anytime up to travel outside of 24 hours?!? There have never been cancellations like this. Am I missing something here? (And yes, I know they are in bankruptcy and selling stock not withstanding, are not in good shape.). They have always been good to me and I love the cars and service over the years but wondering if I should go with another company closer to where I live.
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:10 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I canít say enough good things about the guys at the Fishermanís Wharf station as well. However, youíre going to get whacked with a one way fee regardless
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will call the location and discuss with them before booking.

There is no need to go all the way to Downtown.
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:54 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by dparkinson View Post
I canít say enough good things about the guys at the Fishermanís Wharf station as well. However, youíre going to get whacked with a one way fee regardless
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I will call the location and discuss with them before booking.

There is no need to go all the way to Downtown.
Thanks. Not renting for a one way trip; will be a round trip. Really just trying to figure out if a non-airport Hertz in SF will have President's Circle cars but can try to find a number and give them a call. Sometimes phone numbers for rental locations are really hard to find and they want you to call a main number.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: