Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

In short, you will most likely get a small car (economy, compact, etc.) unless they are short on those. It's very much a YMMV situation, but anything higher than a compact is a gift in most cases. As per the previous thread mentioned, certainly some folks have gotten some great vehicles, but it's the exception rather than the rule.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:39 am

JFK 2-day rental

Got a 2016 Toyota RAV4 with 42,576 miles, though it seemed unusual. When I was checking in, the agent looked surprised and asked if I had rented a Prius--apparently they had none in at the moment, if I understood her correctly. She went off and talked to someone, and came back and asked if a sedan or a Corolla was ok. She ultimately told me to go to area 2 (midsize) and pick anything from there. There are 8 or 10 slots; all had 4-door cars except for the RAV 4. When leaving, the agent scanning me out asked me where I had gotten the vehicle from. Took a couple minutes longer than expected to check me out, but ultimately I was good to go.

Also, mildly interesting: the service sticker said that on 26 Dec 2016, the vehicle had 19,026 miles--23.5k miles driven in about 10.5 months.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I just found this thread because I was offered "Manager's Special" for a few dollars less per day than a compact and I wanted to see what others experienced recently. My last experience was at Logan Airport in Boston over a year ago and I was given a large van. I took it and didn't think about it because I figured that was the risk in taking the "special." In retrospect, I'm sure the extra fuel I used cost more than the savings I had in the rate. Also, I don't think I will use the "Manager's Special" again since I use the primary insurance my credit card provides. Unfortunately, certain vehicle types are expressly excluded by this insurance such as vans, trucks, SUVs, and luxury cars. Thankfully, I didn't have any problems when I returned the van but I was surprised to find out that it was an excluded vehicle type after the rental was concluded.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:25 am

In SYD, booked a manager's special and got a Kia Carnival (8-seat van). They wouldn't give me anything else, so I cancelled the reservation on the spot, and rebooked it for another car category.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:41 pm

YYC Amazing

PC status, Booked MS in August at YYC calgary airport
Got Dodge Charger, 24000 km, sxt, minor scratch
Amazing upgrade compared with the compact rate.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
403 Lafayette / Manhattan

F6 2016 Nissan Altima S with Virginia plates and 35,000 miles on the odometer.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's interesting that the booking page for the 'Manager's Special' shows 2 passengers and 1 suitcase, when the information page on the site says 'at least 4 seatbelts' and 2 suitcases.

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/mi...gerspecial.jsp

The 'null' on CO2 emissions doesn't mean zero emissions, it just means there is no published emission value for this car (understandably).

I booked on for Hawaii in 3 weeks, It was over $10/day cheaper than anything else. Will be interesting to see what I get.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:54 am

I'm sure it means at least 2 passengers and 1 suitcase, in case they want to give you a 2-seater, not that it means it's guaranteed.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Managers special sna

Managers special. Booked about 1 month in advance for around 50 dollars prepaid using aaa with free car seat. Two day rental at sna got me a Mazda 3 with 83 miles on the odometer and a good size dent on the bumper that they had not caught during the inspection. Got a danage form before leaving

upgrades were offered such as Porsche Cayenne for 50 more per day
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:22 pm

B 2016[!] Nissan Versa SV 4-Door with NY plates and 44,000 miles[!] on the odometer.

Despite the age and high miles, the car is in decent shape and was fine for running errands today. I got something like 35 mpg on mostly highway driving.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

B 2016[!] Nissan Versa SV 4-Door with NY plates and 44,000 miles[!] on the odometer.

Despite the age and high miles, the car is in decent shape and was fine for running errands today. I got something like 35 mpg on mostly highway driving.
Wow you really got the economy special.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:59 am

C 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE (Base). Florida plates; 17,000 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:26 pm

ROC

2018 Ford Focus with NY plates; 4800 miles and working satellite radio
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Stumbled across this old thread and it’s an interesting read. Any more recent data points on what people are receiving with Managers Special reservations? I have an upcoming MS reservation at MSY, so just curious what type of car I should expect. I just status matched to 5*, but if I understand correctly, this won’t have any impact for a MS reservation?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Stumbled across this old thread and it’s an interesting read. Any more recent data points on what people are receiving with Managers Special reservations? I have an upcoming MS reservation at MSY, so just curious what type of car I should expect. I just status matched to 5*, but if I understand correctly, this won’t have any impact for a MS reservation?
In most cases you'll receive their smallest or oldest available car. Are you getting a significant savings with manager's special vs. intermediate? You'd be better off booking intermediate and choosing with Ultimate Choice unless it's a huge savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.