Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Centurion, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, US Plat Pref, AA Gold, Hertz Plat, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
you're rolling some big dice for 15 bucks
I love craps but I rebooked at higher rate. I think I can swing the difference.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
I would just like to point out to all the people complaining about not getting their pcar, etc, that this is why it happens.
dupe booking up to a full size is generally not a big issue, but premiums, luxury, vans, and suv type stuff may be held or delivered to a location specifically for your rental -- in a shared fleet that means somebody else doesn't get it.

I'm not calling you out on this, btw --- it's every man for himself, but just making the observation.
Strictly speaking, this is indeed accurate. So I'm hoping too many people aren't doing multiple bookings but I'm doubting it. With no cost attached, what's to prevent the greedy from doing it every time?

Originally Posted by themicah
Got to the Gold Counter at SRQ and they had mrsmicah's PCAR rez all printed out and ready, but not my EXAR. I gave the guy my name and he reached for the wife's contract and keys, but I said I had my own rez. He said, "economy?" I said, "Manager's special, I think. What is it?" He said, "Chevy Sonic." I pointed out that the website said the EXAR reservation would seat 4 with two large suitcases. He laughed and said there was no way a Chevy Sonic would fit that (but wouldn't offer anything else). So I took the wife's rez. Oh well. It was worth a shot, and I don't blame him at all for not wanting to give me something bigger when I obviously had a double-booking.
OTOH...Hertz should not be calling tiny subcompacts "seats 4-7 with two large suitcases". It could almost be said that Hertz policy is provoking people into multiple bookings.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 pm

Got an Altima in SJC last friday. The agent offer me to upgrade to a Camaro SS Convertible for $15 per day and I took it.

2 weeks ago I got a Cruze LTZ in an EXAR reservation also in SJC.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:41 am

LGA

7/31
Mazda 2

8/7
Toyota Yaris

Both times the place was empty and my name wasn't on the board. The manager immediately tried to upsell me both times to a convertible for $75.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by China Clipper
OTOH...Hertz should not be calling tiny subcompacts "seats 4-7 with two large suitcases". It could almost be said that Hertz policy is provoking people into multiple bookings.
Their website makes it very clear that you might get an Economy - https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...gerspecial.jsp

I'm guessing the "4-7" during booking is intended to say that it might be 4 or it might be 7 or anywhere in between.

Certainly in my experience the "at a rate that is equal to an Economy car" part frequently isn't true...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes but the economy cars don't take two large suitcases with 4 people and aren't claimed to.

I agree that there is no need to give a nicer car than economy but in that case why can't they indicate that the car may only carry as many people with as much luggage as an economy car, given that is what it may well be?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Their website makes it very clear that you might get an Economy - https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...gerspecial.jsp

I'm guessing the "4-7" during booking is intended to say that it might be 4 or it might be 7 or anywhere in between.

Certainly in my experience the "at a rate that is equal to an Economy car" part frequently isn't true...
The issue isn't the 4/7 passengers. They don't promise more than 4. The issue is the "two large suitcases" on the page where you select which class of vehicle you want to rent. Economy cars say "two small suitcases," which is more accurate (and even that can be a bit generous).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am thinking about renting a Manager's Special at SFO. They describe the car as EXAR and the rate is $224 a week. Does anyone have a clue as to what I might end up with?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I am thinking about renting a Manager's Special at SFO. They describe the car as EXAR and the rate is $224 a week. Does anyone have a clue as to what I might end up with?
See what rates are similar to that (ECAR, FCAR, IFAR, etc.) and that should give you an idea of what you're looking at. With SFO being such a large location, it could really vary.

-J.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
SFO I ended was assigned a Chevy Sonic Hatchback (B) as a PC member 6/7 times and a Hyundai Elantra (B) 1/7 times. I wound up going to the counter 6/7 times and left with an Intermediate (usually a newer Corolla).

As a Platinum a I received a Toyota Camry (F6) 2/3 times and a Chevy Impala LTZ (F) 1/3 times at SFO.

Usually you can ask and get at least an Intermediate vehicle, however it depends on their inventory. At other locations I've been assigned everything from a Pick up truck to a Volvo S80 on a Manager Special reservation.

As always it's a toss up but they tend to go for Compact or Intermediate vehicles if available at SFO. Usually much better than the going rate when booking those sized outright.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
See what rates are similar to that (ECAR, FCAR, IFAR, etc.) and that should give you an idea of what you're looking at. With SFO being such a large location, it could really vary.

-J.
I used your advice and compared the rates. For the 8 day reservation at SFO I found the following:

ECAR Kia Rio $324.45
CCAR Ford Focus $324.45
ICAR Toyota Corolla $325.73
FCAR Chevy Malibu $394.38
XCAR Manager's Special $326.25

Based on the above rates aren't I better off simply renting the ICAR - Toyota Corolla or similar?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, unless a 'D' (SCAR) is closer in price to 'C' (ICAR) than 'F'.

Occasionally when there's a big jump to 'F' then a premium car can be cheaper too.

But I would dismiss the manager's special in this case unless you like paying a $2 premium on your Chevy Spark :-)

(If price is more important than convenience, would it make a difference to pick up from one of the airport hotels, e.g., the Hyatt and miss out on the location fees?)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cymro
(If price is more important than convenience, would it make a difference to pick up from one of the airport hotels, e.g., the Hyatt and miss out on the location fees?)
We are driving down to Mountain View so this wouldn't be an option.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I used your advice and compared the rates. For the 8 day reservation at SFO I found the following:

ECAR Kia Rio $324.45
CCAR Ford Focus $324.45
ICAR Toyota Corolla $325.73
FCAR Chevy Malibu $394.38
XCAR Manager's Special $326.25

Based on the above rates aren't I better off simply renting the ICAR - Toyota Corolla or similar?
Probably. You'd at least be guaranteed a midsize car or larger by booking ICAR, whereas EXAR could be anything -- it would at least give you a better shot at a nice upgrade.

-J.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Probably. You'd at least be guaranteed a midsize car or larger by booking ICAR, whereas EXAR could be anything -- it would at least give you a better shot at a nice upgrade.

-J.
As the XCAR rate wasn't lower than the ICAR rate I selected the Corolla and went with the sure thing! @:-)

Aside for the potential of an upgrade they would need to do more on their pricing for the XCAR to lure me in.

Many thanks to all for their advice. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.