tips for rental at Honolulu Airport

Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

tips for rental at Honolulu Airport

Can anyone give me advice about renting a car from Hertz from the Honolulu Airport? I have never rented a car before and wondered if anyone has any tips for me. I saw where people recommend we take pictures of the car before we leave the airport. Should we bring our own GPS? Thank you.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Rent it in the city and pick up (or have delivered to) where you're staying. Much cheaper.

Take your GPS if you have one. No point in paying for something you own, it won't take up much baggage space!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanglin
Rent it in the city and pick up (or have delivered to) where you're staying. Much cheaper.

Take your GPS if you have one. No point in paying for something you own, it won't take up much baggage space!
HLEs are not cheaper in HNL but usually significantly expensive. The only benefit is picking up and dropping off daily thus avoiding parking charges - depending on the rates and plans this may or may not be worth it..

HNL folks were flexible with upsells in my experience so booking smth basic and negotiating upsell on arrival worked for me.

You can take a few pictures if you notice any damage, we almost always arrived at night so i couldn't see much anyways...

bring your gps if you have one - can't hurt

don't leave valuables (or anything that may be perceived as valuable) in the car - break ins are allegedly common in HI

most waikiki hotels have very tight parking lots - rent a smaller car if you are not experienced or just spend a bit extra and valet it

have fun - oahu has a lot to explore outside of waikiki and car will be a great help
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We will be staying in a cottage up at North Shore the whole time we are there, so that is why we wanted to rent right at the airport.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
I have a corporate rate that is guaranteed in Hawaii every week except the time frame between Christmas and New Years. It's SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive to rent from a HLE because my rate won't change - but all the ridiculous taxes are minimized.

Originally Posted by azepine00
HLEs are not cheaper in HNL but usually significantly expensive. The only benefit is picking up and dropping off daily thus avoiding parking charges - depending on the rates and plans this may or may not be worth it..

HNL folks were flexible with upsells in my experience so booking smth basic and negotiating upsell on arrival worked for me.

You can take a few pictures if you notice any damage, we almost always arrived at night so i couldn't see much anyways...

bring your gps if you have one - can't hurt

don't leave valuables (or anything that may be perceived as valuable) in the car - break ins are allegedly common in HI

most waikiki hotels have very tight parking lots - rent a smaller car if you are not experienced or just spend a bit extra and valet it

have fun - oahu has a lot to explore outside of waikiki and car will be a great help
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I have a corporate rate that is guaranteed in Hawaii every week except the time frame between Christmas and New Years. It's SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive to rent from a HLE because my rate won't change - but all the ridiculous taxes are minimized.
Wonderful - if only this could be used by the rest of us... Care to share your CDP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.