Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Class action lawsuits against Hertz and PlatePass

Class action lawsuits against Hertz and PlatePass

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
This morning I received an email from the NYC Controller Scott Stringer
Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with these fees via Hertz or otherwise.

But, a side note, he's the Comptroller (note the p in his title) not the controller (as much as he would like to be...). While I think the spelling of the title may be interchangeable, I think there's a difference for business v. government. If you're searching you want the right word.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with these fees via Hertz or otherwise.

But, a side note, he's the Comptroller (note the p in his title) not the controller (as much as he would like to be...). While I think the spelling of the title may be interchangeable, I think there's a difference for business v. government. If you're searching you want the right word.
Thanks for the correction. This is what happens when you don't have your coffee in the morning.

Now back to the issue at hand.....
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I just use my own EZPass when I rent a car. Essentially zero effort.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/account.shtml

If you don't own a vehicle and wish to open an E-ZPass account on the E-ZPass website, please contact the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-8655 for instructions.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123

If you don't own a vehicle and wish to open an E-ZPass account on the E-ZPass website, please contact the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-8655 for instructions.
We both know that most tourists are not going to apply for their own EZ Pass in advance of a trip. Although Scott Springer is addressing the abuses by the car rental companies and their cars using EZ Pass this issue applies to all for the similar toll collection services and the outrageous charges we are receiving from the rental companies!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

We both know that most tourists are not going to apply for their own EZ Pass in advance of a trip. Although Scott Springer is addressing the abuses by the car rental companies and their cars using EZ Pass this issue applies to all for the similar toll collection services and the outrageous charges we are receiving from the rental companies!
The company that provides E-Z Pass services to rental-car companies is in business to make a profit. If government reduces the permissible fees to the point where the business is no longer profitable, then the business will stop offering the service. What happens then?

In the NY Metro area, most toll roads and crossings allow motorists to pay cash. The staffed toll lanes at MTA crossings sell E-Z Pass transponders right at the booth, so one only has to pay cash for one toll. Even that can be avoided by purchasing an E-Z Pass transponder over the counter from an "On the Go" vendor, no "application" necessary:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml

I have not owned a car in years, but I have an E-Z Pass transponder.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:28 pm

Did you read Springer's piece? He's not talking about tourists, he's talking about NYC residents who don't own cars who rent to get out of the city. No good excuse for them not to have an EZ Pass.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:16 pm

Scott Stringer is a career politician laying ground work for his next (hopeful) office, mayor of NYC. Both he and de Blasio are term limited so even if both win re-election after another four years they will have to look for new jobs.

The comptroller has been on a tear recently issuing all sorts of "consumer" type reports. Suppose in these days of computers and other technology you don't need to spend vast amounts of time going over the books, thus other ways have to be found to occupy time.

Will say the MTA does need to do a better job of marketing EZ-Pass on the Go. Also there are few locations in NYC (especially Manhattan) where you can purchase. Do not go by the list on the MTA's website. It is totally out of date.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, I believe that you are missing the point of my posting this topic. For years FT'ers have complained about the exorbitant fees that they have receive from the rental car companies for using EZ Pass, FasTrak, PlatePass, SunPass, AutoExpreso, etc that are affixed to their cars. Yes, if you wish you can order a personal EZ Pass but the vast majority of tourists that fly to NY and rent cars do not and they are being ripped off!!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:56 am

Folks, I believe that you are missing the point of my posting this topic. For years FT'ers have complained about the exorbitant fees that they have receive from the rental car companies for using EZ Pass, FasTrak, PlatePass, SunPass, AutoExpreso, etc that are affixed to their cars. Yes, if you wish you can order a personal EZ Pass but the vast majority of tourists that fly to NY and rent cars do not and they are being ripped off!!!
Nobody who rents a car in NYC has to pay a single toll convenience fee if they don't want to. It's completely optional, you can always pay cash (or, on one bridge, call in to make your payment). Stringer is a politician looking for something he can express outrage about.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody who rents a car in NYC has to pay a single toll convenience fee if they don't want to. It's completely optional, you can always pay cash (or, on one bridge, call in to make your payment). Stringer is a politician looking for something he can express outrage about.
If you are referring to the Henry Hudson bridge which is cashless and is the first of many toll plazas like this they mail you the bill which is double the price of someone who has EZ Pass in about 30 days you can call an 800 number to pay.

In addition the NY State Thruway Authority has announced it is converting the Yonkers, Tappan Zee Bridge and Harriman toll plazas to all-electronic toll collection. Also the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates bridges and tunnels between the states, said the agency is committed to all-electronic tolling in the next 5-10 years.

Here is another great article pertaining to the exorbitant fees that are being charged by Hertz and others.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-...r-rental-cars/

By the way are you aware Hertz and American Traffic Solutions, which owns PlatePass, settled a class-action lawsuit in 2013 by agreeing to refund $11 million in charges to customers who rented from mid-2006 through March 2010 but that they are still charging renters the same outrageous fees?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

[B]"Yes, if you wish you can order a personal EZ Pass but the vast majority of tourists that fly to NY and rent cars do not and they are being ripped off."

No "ordering" is required. You can buy an E-Z Pass transponder at the "Cash" lanes of any MTA crossing, and use it for 48 hours before any registration -- which can be done on a smartphone -- is required. Or you can stop in to an "On the Go" vendor, and purchase one there, if you don't want to pay cash for your first toll.

Just as car-rental companies in NY are required to inform renters that their personal insurance or credit cards might provide coverage for loss or damage to the rental car, perhaps the car-rental companies should also be required to notify renters of the E-Z Pass "On the Go" option. But let's not take away the right of the well-off or the short-term renter to enjoy the convenience that the car-rental company's own E-Z Pass provides. And that's exactly what might happen if government-imposed fee restrictions make it unprofitable to offer the service in NY.

Yes, some things will have to change once cash lanes at all crossings are eliminated. But we're not there yet.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:11 am

If you are referring to the Henry Hudson bridge which is cashless and is the first of many toll plazas like this they mail you the bill which is double the price of someone who has EZ Pass in about 30 days you can call an 800 number to pay.

In addition the NY State Thruway Authority has announced it is converting the Yonkers, Tappan Zee Bridge and Harriman toll plazas to all-electronic toll collection. Also the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates bridges and tunnels between the states, said the agency is committed to all-electronic tolling in the next 5-10 years.

Here is another great article pertaining to the exorbitant fees that are being charged by Hertz and others.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-...r-rental-cars/

By the way are you aware Hertz and American Traffic Solutions, which owns PlatePass, settled a class-action lawsuit in 2013 by agreeing to refund $11 million in charges to customers who rented from mid-2006 through March 2010 but that they are still charging renters the same outrageous fees?
The issue around the class action was around disclosure of the fees, not the fees themselves.

This is a pretty minor, and readily avoidable fee. Stringer is in constant search for something to get outraged about to draw attention to himself. He saw de Blasio use that strategy as a springboard to the mayor's office, and he's trying to do the same. He should instead be doing his job, focusing on improving the efficiency of the city government.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...r-10970318.php

"SF sues Hertz, says its gouging car renters for bridge tolls"

This could get interesting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.