What's up with Hertz published prices?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
What's up with Hertz published prices?

In general:
Rentals last year with Hertz in the markets and time periods I rent ~$50/d now consistently > $100/d

Specifically:
Needed a full size for 4 days in Oakland (early 12/24 - late 12/27/13)

On the Hertz web site with my airline/Costco/professional membership discount: $124/d + taxes

Ran the roulette on Priceline with a bid of $45/d - with the bid being accepted!!! ---> BY HERTZ!!!

Go figure!!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it's way too early to lock in a price for December unless it's a price you are happy with. I'm betting the price drops considerably at some point between now and then.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by cordelli
I think it's way too early to lock in a price for December unless it's a price you are happy with. I'm betting the price drops considerably at some point between now and then.
Agree with this. Even booking a couple months out I often find that the price drops, so I am sure to check it in between. It's fine to book a non-prepaid fallback reservation just in case the price doesn't change, and then you can still bid Priceline or whatever. I don't think the Priceline bid winning price would go up in the interim. Not sure of typical rates there, but it's possible you still paid too much, plus you've tied up your money for 5 months.

I usually have a rental over Christmas or near it, and I usually book it in October or November I think. And I still check the rates again. For many rentals I only book a few weeks in advance. There is a sweet spot there somewhere where as you get closer the price may climb rather than fall, but at 3-4 weeks out you're usually safe.

I guess those dates are going to count as midweek though, so $45/day is really not bad.

Last edited by CrazyOne; Jul 24, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm wondering if they screwed something up when they loaded in new prices to the system. All of their prices seem to have skyrocketed in the past week.

I looked at a one-way week rental last week and it priced out to about $500. Today I looked at the same rental and it quoted me $1285...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.