Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Oil change required on high mileage rental?

Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC

Hi there,

I rented a Ford Explorer from Hertz for 3 weeks. One of the uses is that we've driven it across country (and will be driving it back), adding about 5000 miles to the odometer.

Right now "oil life" on the car is at 8% (started at 40% at the beginning of our trip) and I was wondering if Hertz will make me get an oil change.

Thougts?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Make you?" I would not want to drive across the country with an out-of-service vehicle. I would call Hertz and see if they want to swap the vehicle or will simply deduct the cost of the oil change from your fee.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
If you like the vehicle, keep it and ignore the oil change indicator. Driving a thousand or two miles past recommended oil change might affect the long term longevity of the engine, but is unlikely to cause any ill effects during the first hundred thousand miles.

If you want something different, use it as a excuse to change cars.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by djk7
If you like the vehicle, keep it and ignore the oil change indicator. Driving a thousand or two miles past recommended oil change might affect the long term longevity of the engine, but is unlikely to cause any ill effects during the first hundred thousand miles.

If you want something different, use it as a excuse to change cars.
For the love of god, it is better to go to the airport nearby and exchange it. It's just hurting the car when you keep driving for a long period of time.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC
"make me" was probably the wrong use of words.

In good conscience I want to do the oil change, rather I was concerned if Hertz would be upset if I didn't. I am 2000 miles in a different state from where I rented from... so wouldn't they not like the fact they are getting stuck with a car from a far away place?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:54 pm

They'll adapt. Take it to the nearest airport location and trade it in for something else.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:02 pm

If both pickup and exchange locations are corporate-operated, as listed on Hertz's website, they probably won't care. A corporate-owned car will have been essentially one-wayed, and a different corporate-owned car one-wayed back, with no net change in the inventory level at each location.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
After my rental had a tire blowout Hertz told me that service items (tires, fluids and wiper blades).
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: None
I worked at Hertz in 1985 as a summer job shuttling cars. I remember the location I was based out of had a mechanic that did light maintenance like oil changes. I remember seeing an out of state car with the oil being changed and the renters waiting. I was based in downtown San Francisco and this car had to be at least as far as Illinois. I had a flat rented from San Francisco, exchanged at LAX. Once I realized I left my house keys in a compartment, I called LAX and that 1298 car was being serviced and oil changed at LAX. Preventive Maintenance PMs can be done at larger facilities.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:18 pm

But back in 1985, the "floating fleet" model may not have been developed, or as well developed, as it is now. So those cars may have been required to "go back," especially the out of state ones. Hence the customers waiting for the repairs to be completed. Now the customers would probably just hop right into another car from the local pool and take it home with them.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Gold, Hilton, Choice & Best Western Diamond, Hertz Platinum
As long as there is oil in the engine you won't damage the components. That % computer generally just serves as a reminder to when the oil should be changed based on factory recommendations. Think of it as a time and mileage clock. It is not like there is an oil sample mechanism that is measuring the quality of the oil, it simply says hey it is time for an oil change. Hertz is good about maintaining their vehicles and making sure customers have well working cars. Just simply go to any airport or HLE and swap it out if you are concerned. But again you will not damage the engine albeit it says there is 8% oil life, as the is plenty of oil in the engine still.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Highway miles are much easier on the oil than city miles.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
"Make you?" I would not want to drive across the country with an out-of-service vehicle. I would call Hertz and see if they want to swap the vehicle or will simply deduct the cost of the oil change from your fee.
LOL it's an oil change, the car is not suddenly doing to break down, nor are you really going to do any damage by not doing the oil change at exactly the stated mileage
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:45 pm

Not to mention the rental agencies don't change the oil every 3000 miles. It varies by car make/rental agency, but the oil change interval is often up to 7,500 miles.

I wouldn't worry about it too much..
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Most new cars have a recommended interval of 7500-10,000 miles anyway

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.