Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Clincher
I am so glad to see this post. Helpful to read that others have faced the same issue in S. Cal.
I received the $30 handling fee notice and honestly did not know what it was for. I speculated it was for the tolls. My problem is when I returned the car to LAX Hertz I specifically asked how are the tolls paid. She told me my credit card would be charged. Wrong! I called the issuing authority and was informed I received round trip citations ($63.50 each) since the cars are not equipped with fastrak and the car via license plate was ticketed. In addition each citation is separated and a $30 handling fee for each from a third party that handles citations for Hertz. third party says to call Hertz, Hertz customer service says to call the LAX location, LAX location says to call the issuing authority, etc. Kind of tough to learn this the hard way. I'm not looking for sympathy just the easiest way to reduce or waive the fine.
Orange County Toll Roads is WAIVING the first time fine through Labor Day 2014 if paid within 30 days. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/t...nue-roads.html
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...ive_summer.php
http://www.latimes.com/local/orangec...627-story.html
Related story. Toll road rates increased on July 1: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...rease-tuesday/
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Orange County Toll Roads is WAIVING the first time fine through Labor Day 2014 if paid within 30 days. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/t...nue-roads.html
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...ive_summer.php
http://www.latimes.com/local/orangec...627-story.html
Related story. Toll road rates increased on July 1: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...rease-tuesday/
Very helpful. Thx!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:28 am

A video report on the OC toll road payment confusion...

http://abc7.com/travel/new-oc-toll-r...fusion/246143/
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:49 pm

Hertz SNA and Toll Road 73 How come no transponders?

How come Hertz has no transponders at SNA for the toll roads? These are toll roads that are transponder only or you have to go to internet within 48 hours and log in plate and credit card number. This is very frustrating if you are using Hertz neverlost GPS as you have three choices 1.shortest time 2. Freeways 3. Least use of Freeways.

In my opinion Hertz needs to either needs to get transponders like Budget and others or fix Hertz GPS never lost options or just get rid of their GPS units at SNA. I know I can use Google maps on my phone but why!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:36 pm

Southern California Hertz locations don't have Fastrak at all. Really, we don't have that many toll roads or lanes here, they are mostly not in business areas and Hertz probably doesn't think it's a good investment.

As a life long resident of Southern California, I have never used a toll road in Southern California. I used the carpool lane on the 110 once in a while but not since it became Fastrak.

You're better off using Google Maps than Hertz Nevelost. Worst system ever.

Right now, you have 7-days to pay tolls in OC online without a transponder. https://www.thetollroads.com/violation/oneTimeToll.do
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:46 am
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Hi, it depends on how frequent you plan to use the Fastrak. I visit quite often, so I decided to open an ExpressAccount with the Toll Roads. It's free and you have the option to add rental cars to the account and have it bill you accordingly (without any markup or need to enter your entry/exit location using the One Time Toll payment)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:16 pm

Post Hertz send me a letter for violation handling fee which I'm pretty sure I paid for.

So I rented a car for the vacation in LA. My plan was to stay there for
2 weeks so I figured I buy my own FasTrak and put it on the car's windshield
the whole time yet I still received a ticket for violation for toll citation. I read
the detail of the specific date and time the violation occurred then went to my
FasTrak statement and sure enough, I've been charged for the toll on my statement
so then how did I violated in this particular case? What's the next step I should do now?
Should I send Hertz my FasTrak statement along with the letter that I received?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:53 am

I would suggest so, email them showing them the letter and your proof, it could be that you have both been charged hence why you have the letter.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1k
I've just received a violation charge notice from Hertz for a car rental back last month. I took the I-73 from Dana Point back to Long Beach, believing that Hertz plate pass covered all toll charges that would then be charged to my cc with a daily admin charge, just as they are for rentals in all other parts of CA. IN fact, this was exactly what occurred when I rented from Hertz LAX in August but drove North to SF.

How in the hell are visitors to LA suppose to know what tolls are covered by Hertz and what aren't, particularly when the rental agreement specifically refers to using cashless tolls.

What options do I have for fighting this?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
The various toll systems around the world, and how you pay for them, are indeed quite a minefield, especially if you are in an unfamiliar area.

However, in the LA area in particular, there are signs prominently displayed in the LAX building which state quite explicitly that the cars are not equipped with the Fastpass system to allow you to use the Tollway lanes around the greater LA area. So I think your chances of appealing this one are pretty low.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
The various toll systems around the world, and how you pay for them, are indeed quite a minefield, especially if you are in an unfamiliar area.

However, in the LA area in particular, there are signs prominently displayed in the LAX building which state quite explicitly that the cars are not equipped with the Fastpass system to allow you to use the Tollway lanes around the greater LA area. So I think your chances of appealing this one are pretty low.
It's all very well them being in the LA building, but as a Gold member, I went straight from the bus to my vehicle, via the electronic notice board OUTSIDE.

I will also add, that I also hired a car from LAX in August for a drive to SF. It seems bizarre that I could use it for tolls in the San Francisco area, but not the LA area, and even though I did have to go into the office on that occasion, I was still unaware of this restriction. Nor did the staff point it out despite me checking that I could use the fast lanes at tolls.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Richym99
It's all very well them being in the LA building, but as a Gold member, I went straight from the bus to my vehicle, via the electronic notice board OUTSIDE.

I will also add, that I also hired a car from LAX in August for a drive to SF. It seems bizarre that I could use it for tolls in the San Francisco area, but not the LA area, and even though I did have to go into the office on that occasion, I was still unaware of this restriction. Nor did the staff point it out despite me checking that I could use the fast lanes at tolls.
It says on the Hertz website PlatePass is available in Northern California. Makes no mention of Southern California. This is not Hertz fault. You should have done your research before your rental.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:56 am

fastrak with Hertz in LA

@CalItalian. I do research things that I believe that I don't know, or need to know. If you don't know you need to know something, then you don't think to look. Are you one of these people who spends all his life reading fine print so you can send condescending replies to people to say "well I knew, so you should have looked harder."

I did EVENTUALLY find the section on the Hertz website. It took me ten minutes and drilling down through three different links to find it. That is hardly what I would call transparent. There is also no mention of the availability of a transponder for purchase as an add on. I could have rented plenty to add ons through the website, why not show that as an add on which would have at least flagged up an issue with tolls.

I hired cars on eight separate occasions this year in the US in various parts of the US. On seven occasions, the tolls were covered by their platepass scheme, including a rental from the same location. I'm not your average tourist, and yet I've fallen foul of this, through a lack of advice. I wonder how many others have been similarly mislead since this road went cashless.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Richym99
@CalItalian. I do research things that I believe that I don't know, or need to know. If you don't know you need to know something, then you don't think to look. Are you one of these people who spends all his life reading fine print so you can send condescending replies to people to say "well I knew, so you should have looked harder."

I did EVENTUALLY find the section on the Hertz website. It took me ten minutes and drilling down through three different links to find it. That is hardly what I would call transparent. There is also no mention of the availability of a transponder for purchase as an add on. I could have rented plenty to add ons through the website, why not show that as an add on which would have at least flagged up an issue with tolls.

I hired cars on eight separate occasions this year in the US in various parts of the US. On seven occasions, the tolls were covered by their platepass scheme, including a rental from the same location. I'm not your average tourist, and yet I've fallen foul of this, through a lack of advice. I wonder how many others have been similarly mislead since this road went cashless.
I did Google search for PlatePass Hertz. Took me less than 10 seconds to find YOUR answer. Pay the violation. This is your fault. Stop your whining.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian
I did Google search for PlatePass Hertz. Took me less than 10 seconds to find YOUR answer. Pay the violation. This is your fault. Stop your whining.
The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. Now, what's the question that I need to ask to get that answer?

It's all well and good being able to google things once you know what you are looking for, but if you are not aware of an issue in the first place, then you are hardly likely to look it up are you clever clogs?

My understanding was, that the platepass scheme that Hertz uses covers all major toll roads and bridges. Now I know different, I shall be more careful and will check in future, but to be told in such a manner leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I shan't use the words passing through my head at this moment, because it would likely see me banned, but rest assured, they are none to complimentary of you.

Anyway, passing on from CalItalian's pontificating attitude which I found very unhelpful and almost troll like, for anyone else who finds themselves in this position I can provide some reassurance.

TollRoads.com thankfully, and showing a little more grace and forgiveness that for people who make simple mistakes that CalItalian does, still offer a first time exemption from payment of penalty provided that the original charge (currently $6.15 is paid within 30 days of the notice being issued. This can be paid through the TollRoads.com website using a credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.