Where to pickup in DC?

Old Apr 21, 13, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Where to pickup in DC?

I need a rental from DC to LAX in late May. It's for a 3 week trip that will probably be ~6,000miles.

I will be staying somewhere downtown and wondered where would be best to pickup from? Obviously i want to ensure i get the best car i can get for that distance (though only B or C!), so would prefer a location with some options.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 13, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Harok View Post
I need a rental from DC to LAX in late May. It's for a 3 week trip that will probably be ~6,000miles.

I will be staying somewhere downtown and wondered where would be best to pickup from? Obviously i want to ensure i get the best car i can get for that distance (though only B or C!), so would prefer a location with some options.

Thanks
National Airport - DCA - will have the biggest selection.
Old Apr 21, 13, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
DCA tends to have a very good selection. However, as with any airport, you'll be stuck with paying the concession fees for the entire length of the rental. I'd suggest finding a neighborhood location (non-airport, non-hotel, standalone HLEs are usually the best bet to avoid extra fees), and if you don't like what they have for you, swap it at the airport before hitting the road.

-J.
Old Apr 22, 13, 9:45 am

In my experience the Hertz Hilton location at 1919 Connecticut Ave, NW works well; would second the previous poster's suggestion that you switch cars at DCA if the selection in town isn't satisfactory.
Old Apr 22, 13, 10:31 am
Original Poster

How does swapping at the airport work? I don't really want to have to do that, as it will take so much time!

What is the Verizon Centre location like?

Costs are like this:
Group C (Toyota Corolla) to LAX for 22days:
Verizon Center/Hilton: £830
IAD/DCA: £870
Union Station: £875

Can i use the Hilton location if not staying there?

Last edited by Harok; Apr 22, 13 at 10:40 am
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
I've picked up from the Renaissance Hotel HLE for a one way to New York - booked standard SUV and got a fully loaded Enclave - so no complaints from me about this location, you also do not have to be a guest either.
Old Apr 22, 13, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Harok View Post
How does swapping at the airport work? I don't really want to have to do that, as it will take so much time!

What is the Verizon Centre location like?

Costs are like this:
Group C (Toyota Corolla) to LAX for 22days:
Verizon Center/Hilton: £830
IAD/DCA: £870
Union Station: £875

Can i use the Hilton location if not staying there?
Yes, no need to be a guest there.
Old Sep 13, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Hertz at DC Hilton, Connecticut Avenue, CLOSED but bookable

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines View Post
In my experience the Hertz Hilton location at 1919 Connecticut Ave, NW works well; would second the previous poster's suggestion that you switch cars at DCA if the selection in town isn't satisfactory.
Please be aware that this formerly convenient Hertz Local Edition location near Dupont Circle is CLOSED. I booked a F car in August and arrived Thursday September 10 (in an Uber in heavy rain) to a completely locked and closed location. The security guard at the Hilton told me that Hertz closed August 31 and may never re-open.

Furthermore, Hertz had e-mailed me the day prior to pickup, confirming the reservation. That is sloppy at best. The resourceful Uber driver earned his tip by proactively standing by (with luggage) and taking us out to DCA airport for an alternate pickup. The low-English-competency Hertz rep with whom I spoke while en re-route did not apologize, and he was reluctant to rebook the reservation originating at the alternate DCA location. I took the last car from the President's Circle aisle at DCA. Five Star and Gold aisles were empty. I guess all is well that ends well, but this could have been a real disaster had I released my Uber prematurely. This was possibly the worst of a series of travel SNAFUs during my otherwise lovely week in the DC area.

Upon returning the car Saturday, the agent informed me that the reservation had been closed hours earlier (by whom?) and she could therefore not produce a receipt. There was a receipt in the correct amount in my inbox I noticed later.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by fastflyer; Sep 13, 20 at 11:48 am

Search this Thread