Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this equipment?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
What is this equipment?

I recently had a new (<300mi.) Malibu from DCA which had a bunch of aftermarket accessories installed. There were some sort of transmitters and a microphone attached to the windshield and this device next to the ignition. I could not get it to actually do anything but it was powered on and connected to something. Does anyone know what this is?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It looks like some type of onstar type product, that handles phone, assistance, etc.

Not saying it's onstar, but something like it
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
It looks to me like a bluetooth phone set up. Not sure about newer GM models but in the past on star has usually been in the rear view mirror.

But i cant be sure
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 am

That looks like a Parrot Bluetooth Device.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
ex-Hertz on Demand?

It looks like the unit in Hertz On Demand cars. You have to swipe your key fob against the transmitter on the windscreen to unlock and then confirm the car isn't damaged etc on the controller.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:18 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by James Fleming
It looks like the unit in Hertz On Demand cars. You have to swipe your key fob against the transmitter on the windscreen to unlock and then confirm the car isn't damaged etc on the controller.
It is a Hertz on Demand item. At times, they will move these cars into the primary Hertz fleet depending on need.

Brian
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
As stated above, it is a car slated for use as a Hertz On Demand vehicle (a car sharing program similar to ZipCar). I am currently using a car with that set up as well. The Sacramento Downtown HLE Location Manager told me she just obtained the car from the Sacramento Airport location as Sacramento was just starting a trial run of Hertz On Demand.

I had a B reservation as a PC and there were no other C cars available to upgrade me to so she offered me that one as I had a month long rental and it was a 2013 Mazda 3 with only 320 miles on it. Still had that new car smell too. She said just to ignore the equipment and if it bothered me I could always trade it out later. No complaints here
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: None
I had one too, it's the on demand thing, but I still don't know what the whatyamacallit do. The Sirus wasn't turned on, Impala with 800 miles. I called the roadside number at 1am and asked about turning on Sirus. They told me that department was not in until later on that morning. I called in the morning and the tech said to have the car running and radio on for an hour. No time, returned the car and LAX clerk told me about the on demand do hickey.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone! I am familiar with Zipcar but they did not have the extra equipment inside like this.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I learned something new today. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:03 am

Why would they turn the XM on in the car without a subscription? GM fleet sales vehicles have only been coming with a 1 month trial period on XM for some time now, so even low mileage gm vehicles will often not have working satellite radio.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: None
I was told the by a Hertz employee who put new license plates on the cars that XM subscription wad good for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.