Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged for fuel even though returned full

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Charged for fuel even though returned full

I returned my rental with a full tank to Hertz at MCO just minutes after filling the tank at Suncoast down the street from the airport.

But they still charged me 91.69 USD for fuel (Fuel & Service). Have anyone else been a victim of this?

I have emailed Hertz and hopefully they will refund this. My CC-statement can also confirm that I was charged 80 USD at the Suncoast. (Btw almost 6USD\gallon.... woah. The people at suncoast sure know how to make a buck on unsuspecting tourists
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by boredandre
I returned my rental with a full tank to Hertz at MCO just minutes after filling the tank at Suncoast down the street from the airport.

But they still charged me 91.69 USD for fuel (Fuel & Service). Have anyone else been a victim of this?

I have emailed Hertz and hopefully they will refund this. My CC-statement can also confirm that I was charged 80 USD at the Suncoast. (Btw almost 6USD\gallon.... woah. The people at suncoast sure know how to make a buck on unsuspecting tourists
Yep, that gas station has been raping people for years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/orlan...on-ripoff.html

Did you get a receipt from Hertz? That should have the gas level on it. A photocopy of the receipt from the gas station may be helpful, too. I routinely keep those for a couple of weeks just for this reason.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also have made a habit of taking a photo of the dashboard showing the odometer and fuel gauge.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I messaged Hertz on facebook, and two days later I got an message back saying they are sorry for this and that I will get a refund.
Thanks for your input guys
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boredandre:20557869
I messaged Hertz on facebook, and two days later I got an message back saying they are sorry for this and that I will get a refund.
Thanks for your input guys
Actually, the only thing they're probably sorry about is the fact that you caught them.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Probably
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Just happened to me at LAX last month. Calling customer service was useless as the demanded a receipt that I no longer had. Calling the station worked, particularly as I was able to describe the gas station by name and cross streets.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:48 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by clarkef
Just happened to me at LAX last month. Calling customer service was useless as the demanded a receipt that I no longer had. Calling the station worked, particularly as I was able to describe the gas station by name and cross streets.
Of course then the station will just say you used Google Street View
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by gof
Of course then the station will just say you used Google Street View
Ummm. Actually they didn't. That as the point of my post. I called the station and they reversed the charge. 3 days late a credit appeared on my statement.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This is even more frustrating when some cars' gas gauge don't hit the F line, or dips a little only after 5 miles of driving. I had a car rental agent charged me for fuel for 1/8th of tank, and tried to intimidate me into accepting the charge, even when I had the gas receipt in hand. Had to get a supervisor involved to get the charge removed.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Or you have a slow gauge that doesn't register quickly after filling...this happened to me with an Avis rental a few years ago up in Seattle...darn thing was slam full and gauge still read probably 9/10 full. Agent tried to charge me and we debated a few minutes after which he agreed to waive any fuel charge.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA MM Lifetime Gold, Delta Gold, SPG/ Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Avis does this in Manhattan all the time

This is SOP for Avis in Manhattan. Makes no difference at all what the gauge reads - they don't even check it. If you have travelled less than 100 miles you will be charged for fuel even if you have filled it up. I finally figured this out after checking receipts a little more carefully (on a personal rental - the previous had been business).

Staff there were perfectly open about it - it's their "policy" and you have to go into the office, complain, show the gas station receipt and get refunded the gas charge.

This is on top of their $100+ per day rates (although that is just the standard in Manhattan)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RaoulM
This is SOP for Avis in Manhattan. Makes no difference at all what the gauge reads - they don't even check it. If you have travelled less than 100 miles you will be charged for fuel even if you have filled it up. I finally figured this out after checking receipts a little more carefully (on a personal rental - the previous had been business).

Staff there were perfectly open about it - it's their "policy" and you have to go into the office, complain, show the gas station receipt and get refunded the gas charge.

This is on top of their $100+ per day rates (although that is just the standard in Manhattan)
You should file a complaint with the appropriate agency. That type of behavior is completely unacceptable and they should be taken to task for it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, Marriott, Avis, Hertz, Hilton
This has happened to me many times in the past few years. I am usually rushing through at 5am and fail to check the receipt each time. In most cases, they have refunded me when I caught it. The friendliest Hertz employee at PHX, "Bud" (now retired) informed me that if the car has less than 100 miles during your rental period, Hertz' default is to charge for fuel. They must take a couple additional steps to override the default and that's why this happens so often.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by arnhead
This has happened to me many times in the past few years. I am usually rushing through at 5am and fail to check the receipt each time. In most cases, they have refunded me when I caught it. The friendliest Hertz employee at PHX, "Bud" (now retired) informed me that if the car has less than 100 miles during your rental period, Hertz' default is to charge for fuel. They must take a couple additional steps to override the default and that's why this happens so often.
For the people this does happen to is it billed on your receipt when you return the car or are you getting a credit card charge for the fuel afterwards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.