Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Driving across the US, best choice Hertz for transporting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

So we are moving across the country from CA to NY.
I was looking at truck rentals and they are astronomical, between 3-4K.
This got me to thinking about just renting a midsize from hertz, and hoping to get lucky with a truck or van in the UC lots.
Would this be okay? I couldn't find any fine print about excluding cross country travel for using Ultimate Choice.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AJDem
So we are moving across the country from CA to NY.
I was looking at truck rentals and they are astronomical, between 3-4K.
This got me to thinking about just renting a midsize from hertz, and hoping to get lucky with a truck or van in the UC lots.
Would this be okay? I couldn't find any fine print about excluding cross country travel for using Ultimate Choice.
There's no restriction, so if you find a vehicle that works for you, you're good. That said, how much space do you need? Take a look at the "Renting at XYZ: What vehicles to expect?" thread for your origination airport to get an idea of what might be available.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, gonna hope for this to work then.
I tried to find a thread like that for SMF, but I don't think there is one unfortunately.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: NW GE
SMF is an ultimate choice location so what you could do is book several reservations beginning days before you NEED the vehicle.

IE if you intend to go Sun - Sun, book one res Thurs to Sun, one Fri to Sun and one Sat to Sun, all SMF-NYC, then go on Thurs, if theres no fullsize SUV/truck/van in the UC lot leave, come back the next day, etc. I imagine if you're willing to sit around and wait whats brought in eventually you can get something thats satisfactory over several days. In the grand scheme of things an extra day or two on the rental shouldn't be a big deal.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:56 am

I've seen National offer pickup trucks for less than a midsize on several occasions. You can try looking at that.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
You will pay airport fees on a rental at SMF Depending on how long a rental you do, you might save enough money by renting off-airport to actually just reserve a minivan and not sweat the upgrade lottery. I've also successfully sweet-talked agents at Hertz Local Edition into minivans from car reservations on multiple occasions but you can't really depend on that. .

I would recommend a minivan over a truck. Because, rain.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For one-way rentals, I've found that National is almost always lower that Hertz.
m907 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:24 am

I often do cross country roadtrips for vacation. So far, I found that Hertz favors going east, and National, if their retail one-way rates are actually competitive, favors a westward flow. There are a few exceptions I saw, but generally this is the pattern over 10+ years.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.