Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at AUS; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Feb 27, 13, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite

I am curious who has had experiences renting at AUS (Austin Bergstrom Airport) as I have a car reserved for a Friday pick up. I noticed they do not inventory prestige cars and there is no option to reserve a luxury so I am curious if they tend to have some higher-end vehicles there to upgrade to. Any experience good/bad would help!

I am President's circle with Hertz FYI and this is a points rental with a Premium reserved...
Old Feb 27, 13, 6:39 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
In my opinion, their rental car space is relatively small in comparison to large airports. I have seen luxury vehicles there while walking through the top level of the parking garage (where all the near-rentals are housed.). I think your options will be fairly limited.
Old Mar 1, 13, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Is that for Friday 8 March?
Old Mar 2, 13, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Hope you had better luck than I did on Wednesday the 27th at AUS.

Arrived about 7:30 p.m. to find a line at the Gold booth. Very few names on the board, several people in line at the booth and a counter agent with attitude. Plus two other agents who seemed to have a main job of walking around asking those of us in line how our day was instead of getting the names on the board and having the cars ready.
Old Mar 3, 13, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
We picked up a car there Sunday morning 2/24 and didn't run into any problems. Name was on the board and the car was fine except for a scratch on the door (got that noted on the paperwork.) The attendant at the booth was helpful with questions about directions and got us on our way quickly.

I didn't see anyone else picking up a car at the same time despite there being a long list of customers on the board. We may just have been lucky to get our car in between flight arrivals.
Old Mar 4, 13, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
AUS Experience

We were in town for the races and had the Premium (G) reserved on points. Emailed manager to see what he could do and they were very tight on cars, let alone Luxury/Prestige. Was assigned a Maxima mid-flight which I changed up to a Genesis via the choose another car option. When I arrived, the Genesis was nice, but I asked if I could take the Caddy SRX that was sitting in upgrade-row (alongside a Chrysler 300, Inifiniti FX35, and something else). He hesitated, but let me take it as It was only a 2-day round trip rental. They also had a nice line-up of brand new avalon's although I'm not a big Toyota fan so I declined that as well.
Old Jan 22, 14, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, National EE
Rented from Hertz at AUS about 10 times last year, and never had a problem with billing or lack of cars. The estimated total given by the Hertz US site has always matched the final billed total for me. Can't say I've experienced long lines; I'd suggest Hertz Gold Plus Rewards if you haven't already registered.

That said, many of the cars at this location are higher mileage and showing some wear. Every time I've gotten FCAR from AUS it's been the older generation fleet-only Impala (very 'classic' GM and a strong engine, for what it's worth) but I tend to arrive fairly late. I've seen more modern FCARs (Malibus and Sonatas mostly) on return so they do have them. National/Alamo and Avis/Budget do seem to have newer cars at AUS than Hertz.

They've started doing the upsell again even to Gold when you leave the lot but they're not very pushy about it. Never a problem to turn it down.
Old Jan 23, 14, 2:35 am

I recently booked FCAR with Hertz at AUS, for 2 weeks in April.

What is the chance of being upgraded to something like Challenger or Mustang?
Do they have them in their fleet?
Otherwise, have you seen any Chargers at this location?

I am a bit worry about this booking after reading a lot of negative comments on Yelp website
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/hertz-austin

As I didn't prepay I guess I always have an option of walking to competition's desk.
Just in case I also made bookings with Alamo and Budget
Old Jan 25, 14, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
I dont rent in Austin but park my car @ airport frequently and I think sometime last year the rental agencies beefed up this location. I saw truck fulls of new cars being brought in and they told me it was for the rental agencies.

Not sure about your chances of upgrade but the Hertz site is showing some really nice car inventory now.
Old Jan 25, 14, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrjanga View Post
I dont rent in Austin but park my car @ airport frequently and I think sometime last year the rental agencies beefed up this location. I saw truck fulls of new cars being brought in and they told me it was for the rental agencies.

Not sure about your chances of upgrade but the Hertz site is showing some really nice car inventory now.
Here's my AUS Hertz experience from this past Tuesday. Rented full size, was given an old model Impala w/Neverlost.

Asked for the PC one class upgrade and was told they had no premium cars to upgrade to. Requested the brand new Focus sitting in the Gold Choice area and was told I could have it but would have to pay for the Neverlost. Pointed out she had just given me a car with Neverlost at no additional cost. The lady gave me two choices, essentially take it or leave it.

Of all the Hertz locations I rent from AUS is traditionally the highest. The rate on this rental was $117 per day.

Should have just walked over to Budget, but didn't have the time.
Old Mar 22, 14, 2:15 pm

Hello again.
As my trip is slowly approaching (in about 2 weeks) I wonder if anyone had recent experiences in Hertz at AUS?
How is their fleet and service?
Mostly old clunkers and boring Impalas or are they actually storing something decent do drive?
Old Mar 23, 14, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Geogregor View Post
Hello again.
As my trip is slowly approaching (in about 2 weeks) I wonder if anyone had recent experiences in Hertz at AUS?
How is their fleet and service?
Mostly old clunkers and boring Impalas or are they actually storing something decent do drive?
They are definitely heavy on boring Impalas. That's usually the only choice in the gold row. I book a mid-size every week so I get upgraded to a full size (PC) & the last few weeks I've gotten: Cruze, Impala (3 times), GMC Terrain, & Altima.
Old Mar 24, 14, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Great thing w/ HZ AUS is its a quick walk from the terminal. Compare that to SAT
Old Mar 24, 14, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mooe View Post
They are definitely heavy on boring Impalas. That's usually the only choice in the gold row. I book a mid-size every week so I get upgraded to a full size (PC) & the last few weeks I've gotten: Cruze, Impala (3 times), GMC Terrain, & Altima.
Thanks for that info.
I might head to National/Alamo instead.
I have a bit more expensive bookings (not prepaid) from them but I hate boring cars like Imapala, Cruze or Altima. In fact that sounds like my nightmare list

Hertz offered the cheapest deal but it suppose to be a 2 week road tripping holiday so something more fun than Impala would be definitely a bonus.
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Any recent experiences? CS experience / upgrades?

I'm PC and directed to the Gold Canopy. Wanted to get a sense, this time traveling with family and thinking I may head out to get the car while the others wait for bags and then swing around and pick them up...

but, if it its pretty streamlined in AUS just go straight to car.

Search this Thread