Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige Car Changes in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:57 am

The Passat is a new member of the P family I believe, as well as the Skoda Superb, both of which are decked out. There are a few Octavia's as well in P, but I am unsure as to their trim level. Seems like the VF's are on their way out, and unlike Avis, no ZB "Commodores" to be seen.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Ahh, I thought you meant literally the MEL and SYD airports.

If you mean non-airport locations, then I believe in SYD only William Street has prestige vehicles in stock, not sure about MEL. For the rest, they will get a driver to drive it to the non-airport location, and I find rates are generally more expensive as well.
It looks like something is going on in Melbourne when we'll be there, and I'm glad I reserved when I did. Even at MEL, there are no Prestige vehicles available to rent.
(Cher will be in town, maybe she and her staff are taking them all )

And for Sydney, it is about $15/day MORE to rent at SYD -v- the downtown location (William St). We're staying about a 5 min walk away, so no worries about picking up there.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
It looks like something is going on in Melbourne when we'll be there, and I'm glad I reserved when I did. Even at MEL, there are no Prestige vehicles available to rent.
Next weekend is the AFL grand final. Mid/late October has the Caulfield Cup & Cox Plate (Moonee Valley) horse racing on the last 2 Saturdays. Then the Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday in November & other days. Oct 26 to Sunday 28 Oct has the Australian Motor Cycle GP at Phillip Island.

A lot on in Melbourne October - early November.
https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au...s/Whatson.aspx
https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/melbourne/events
https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/d/austr...bourne/events/

South Yarra easy to get to by tram or rail

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 21, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And for Sydney, it is about $15/day MORE to rent at SYD -v- the downtown location (William St). We're staying about a 5 min walk away, so no worries about picking up there.
It is very common for airport locations to be higher - not just in Sydney

The airport location charges for the airports are very high - Sydney is t 32% vs 6% at Sydney Downtown vs 0 at other Sydney locations ; melbourne is 30% vs 6% and 20% vs 6% in Brisbane

There can be exceptions - I have found the airport to have some rates that other locations do not and on a longer rental can work out cheaper from the airport - e.g. booking a week rental of a Camry from Sydney airport is costing $265 vs $297 downtown when I try to book

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 21, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:41 pm

Interesting, I gotta say I've never actually seen William St be cheaper than SYD airport for a prestige rental. Maybe it's the times I rent (mostly weekends) or something else...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:28 am

for most rentals that I do, the base rate is the same regardless of location, just that Artarmon < Sydney downtown < airport overall due to the location surcharges
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:03 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Next weekend is the AFL grand final. Mid/late October has the Caulfield Cup & Cox Plate (Moonee Valley) horse racing on the last 2 Saturdays. Then the Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday in November & other days. Oct 26 to Sunday 28 Oct has the Australian Motor Cycle GP at Phillip Island.

A lot on in Melbourne October - early November.
https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au...s/Whatson.aspx
https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/melbourne/events
https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/d/austr...bourne/events/

South Yarra easy to get to by tram or rail
The Melbourne Cup didn't pop into my mind when I booked our flights and car rental rates were shooting up. Glad I found a presentable rate from CarDelMar for an HFAR at around EUR137.00 for 7 days. Haven't seen any lower yet.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
In MEL, it seems that there's only one non-airport location, South Yarra, that seems to have any Prestige vehicles. Unless they are all just booked up already. Well I could reserve a Mustang GT Fastback, but I'm not sure that would fly with my other half.
I reserved the SQ5 from South Yarra. It looks like an easy trolly ride from the Flinders Station area, or heck we can Uber too. We have a Q7 at home and are interested in the SQ5.

In SYD, it seems that every place has all the vehicles--and the rental rates are very reasonable, like A$75/day for the SQ5.
A couple of weeks ago, I reserved a Q2 from the South Yarra HLE for 2 days in mid-November. Yesterday, the location manager emails to say -
"Unfortunately, the Audi Q2 will no longer be available on our fleet to rent. We will not have any Audi’s for rent at the time of your rental. Will will be able to provide a different vehicle for you if you wish. If you are still wishing to rent a Audi you may need to try and booking one with Hertz at St Kilda or Flinders St in the City."

Did a quick check online and the Q5 is still available to rent on my dates, so the part about not having any Audis to rent at the time of my rental is clearly BS. Any recommendations on how I should handle this situation?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:13 pm

Just because the website shows it as available doesn't mean it actually is.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by arfaczar
Did a quick check online and the Q5 is still available to rent on my dates, so the part about not having any Audis to rent at the time of my rental is clearly BS. Any recommendations on how I should handle this situation?
Maybe call and ask if there are any other options for prestige vehicles?

I did get an SQ5, but it was very stripped down. Not a single USB port in the entire vehicle, and we both looked all over for one. There was a backup camera, but no parking cameras, no soft close doors, no sunroof. Kind of disappointing to pay that much for that. Heck, even the Hyundai Tucson I got from CNS has USB ports and CarPlay. I did get a survey and completed it with that comment, but I doubt anything will happen.

They guys at that location seemed nice enough, but it sounds like the airport runs the show on vehicles.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:09 am

Yes, the fact that Hertz basically buys their entire prestige vehicles with absolutely no options baffles the hell out of me. The Q2 has no push button start, no electric seats, no virtual cockpit, no 4x4, no diesel, no comfort pack, no active cruise etc. At that point, it's basically a base model Golf raised about half an inch
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Maybe call and ask if there are any other options for prestige vehicles?

I did get an SQ5, but it was very stripped down. Not a single USB port in the entire vehicle, and we both looked all over for one. There was a backup camera, but no parking cameras, no soft close doors, no sunroof. Kind of disappointing to pay that much for that. Heck, even the Hyundai Tucson I got from CNS has USB ports and CarPlay. I did get a survey and completed it with that comment, but I doubt anything will happen.

They guys at that location seemed nice enough, but it sounds like the airport runs the show on vehicles.
Thanks for the recommendation aztimm. I will call the HLE and explore my options.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Thanks for the recommendation aztimm. I will call the HLE and explore my options.
I don't think that there is such a thing as Hertz Local Edition in Australia - just Hertz locations
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Have a PXAV rental at SYD this upcoming week.

Website says Q2 Q5 Q7 A4 are in the PXAV list.

Here's to hoping for the SQ5 . I'd take an A4 (am Hertz President's Circle)...
But usually when I rent an A3 they give me a Q7 since it doesn't seem to be a common vehicle during the week...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you read this Prestige Car Changes in Australia Post #83 onwards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.