Hertz + AAA = free car seat on rental

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Hertz + AAA = free car seat on rental

I just came across this benefit and was frankly not aware abt it.

Last week I had a trip with my family to SFO and had to take a car seat from Hertz I checked at the counter if there are any promotions (for gold members or any other promos) that allow free car seat. The rep mentioned that car seat is required by federal law & is not optional (like neverlost etc) & hence hertz cannot provide any offers. I paid for the amt around 12$ ...

Just wanted to understand if the rep actually lied to me - I agree that I was not aware abt this but the rep should have known for sure abt this benefit.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A lot of people don't know about this benefit. You have to have them manually take off the carseat charge.

If you booked under the AAA CDP, then send an email or call up Hertz cust service and have them credit you the $12 charge.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:49 am

I've taken advantage of this benefit a number of times and have never been charged for it. When I book my reservation on the Hertz website and use the AAA CDP, I can select a car/booster seat in the reservation process and when the itemized charges show up on the last page, it has always said $0 for the seat.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

I was not using the AAA CDP (as was having my corporate plan) - however I had inquired with the front desk for any car seat promo. Will check with Hertz gold member reps to see if the amt can be credited .. am not very hopeful ... but will try.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I am sure you have to use a AAA CDP to get the promo, although it doesn't explain why the rep at the counter didn't think to mention it. It's not a "promo" exactly but close enough perhaps. Maybe you just didn't pose things in a way that jogged the rep's memory. I don't think it would make any difference to them whether you were paying for the seat or getting it free via AAA.

Still, given that you used the company CDP, you wouldn't have been eligible for it unless you switched to the AAA CDP and whatever its rates would be. So you may well have been better off with what you did. All of the AAA benefits are dependent upon actually booking with AAA CDP.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Got it... Hertz did refund the charges (as a one time courtesy)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ebuck
I've taken advantage of this benefit a number of times and have never been charged for it. When I book my reservation on the Hertz website and use the AAA CDP, I can select a car/booster seat in the reservation process and when the itemized charges show up on the last page, it has always said $0 for the seat.
Yep that's exactly how we've been doing it for more than a year already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-members.html

Never had any issues with carseat - they were always clean and wrapped in plastic. Usually Cosco scenera.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:55 pm

pardon for a quick hijack:

if i reserve a car (corolla) with a car seat (infant) to pick up in MIA Airport.

When I arrive there and "can choose" from any cars in the lot for gold members...

how does it work? only choose from the cars with the infant seat already? or they will give me the seat/install in the car of my choice from the available ones?

Thank/sorry/please move to a new thread if needed, moderator.

RedRobin
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I have no personal experience but it has been reported here on the Hertz forum in the past that Hertz will simply provide you with a seat. They do not take responsibility for installing it, so most likely it will not already be installed even if your car is already assigned when you get there. I don't know if they will bother to bring one to the car; at least one person reported they were shown to the seat storage area and allowed to pick out one. Either way, it won't really matter if you switch to another car. Just make sure you have the final car you want before installing the infant seat.

I should have mentioned this before: for my money, even though you can get one for free with AAA or pay for one, I would bring my own car seat for a child. That way you know the condition and quite possibly how to operate it properly, giving a better chance for safe install and use.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RedRobin
if i reserve a car (corolla) with a car seat (infant) to pick up in MIA Airport.

When I arrive there and "can choose" from any cars in the lot for gold members...

how does it work? only choose from the cars with the infant seat already? or they will give me the seat/install in the car of my choice from the available ones?
I've rented cars with child seats quite a few times and have never had one installed for me (I believe the rental agencies consider it a liability issue if they install it improperly). They just give you a loose seat if it's a location with counter service, or it's already sitting in the back seat of the car if it's a #1 Gold location.

For Gold Choice, if you pick a different car I imagine they'll just take the one out of the reserved car and hand it to you to install.

Bringing your own seat is a better choice when possible, as we've occasionally gotten pretty dirty seats and they usually have a limited selection at all but the biggest airport locations.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by themicah
I've rented cars with child seats quite a few times and have never had one installed for me (I believe the rental agencies consider it a liability issue if they install it improperly). They just give you a loose seat if it's a location with counter service, or it's already sitting in the back seat of the car if it's a #1 Gold location.

For Gold Choice, if you pick a different car I imagine they'll just take the one out of the reserved car and hand it to you to install.

Bringing your own seat is a better choice when possible, as we've occasionally gotten pretty dirty seats and they usually have a limited selection at all but the biggest airport locations.
Does the free car seat benefit apply only in the US? I am trying to rent a car seat in the Netherlands and even with my AAA CDP entered it shows me a charge of 55EUR/day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.