Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

WARNING: Watch for double charges on your Credit/Debit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: Watch for double charges on your Credit/Debit Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Exclamation WARNING: Watch for double charges on your Credit/Debit Card

Beware debit card users! This past weekend I had two rentals (two different locations) and noticed something screwy in one of my bank accounts – I logged on and noticed that when I returned car #1, and changed form of payment from a credit to a debit card, the system automatically did an authorization for rental +$200, THEN ran another authorization/charge for the actual cost of rental. Kinda blew me by surprise (for a total of 3 authorizations/charges). Just returned car #2 yesterday, didn’t pay attention, and did the same – I use a credit card to rent and then switch to debit card.

So be VERY careful… I’m ready to switch companies over this massive waste of time and energy to fix. Being told to wait “96 hours” is unacceptable to me.

I wouldn’t be 5 Star if I wanted to waste this much time when returning a car.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Beware debit card users! This past weekend I had two rentals (two different locations) and noticed something screwy in one of my bank accounts – I logged on and noticed that when I returned car #1, and changed form of payment from a credit to a debit card, the system automatically did an authorization for rental +$200, THEN ran another authorization/charge for the actual cost of rental. Kinda blew me by surprise (for a total of 3 authorizations/charges). Just returned car #2 yesterday, didn’t pay attention, and did the same – I use a credit card to rent and then switch to debit card.

So be VERY careful… I’m ready to switch companies over this massive waste of time and energy to fix. Being told to wait “96 hours” is unacceptable to me.

I wouldn’t be 5 Star if I wanted to waste this much time when returning a car.

Credit card companies will not remove pre auth's from car rental company MCC's for approx 4 days (same on the debit card side)- I'm not sure why you'd want to switch to a debit card when there is possibility that they could still hit you with a post rental charge regardless of the rental being closed
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

well that's why I use a limitless credit card (with horrible interest though), so I prefer to just pay with debit card upon return. So what happens is, I have the hold already on my credit card, then go swipe my debit card @ return - so it does two charges - one initial authorization + cost of rental and then one second authorization for cost of rental.

Hertz says its a glitch
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
well that's why I use a limitless credit card (with horrible interest though), so I prefer to just pay with debit card upon return. So what happens is, I have the hold already on my credit card, then go swipe my debit card @ return - so it does two charges - one initial authorization + cost of rental and then one second authorization for cost of rental.

Hertz says its a glitch
You're going to hate me but I that to my mind is the correct process for the debit card (the credit card will just drop as I'm sure the Hertz system doesn't send a cancellation when the card changes) - Debit card AUTH, Debit Card ACT - the auth will still be there for a few days incase there is a post rental increase to the ACT - this is based on the merchant type not the Hertz point of sale operator.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I've done this several times and have not had any problems. I pick it up using my company credit card then use my debit card when I return. I've done this several times in the past few months and they only put the final charger on my debit card. They might be doing it differently and switching card for the rental and not closing it out and selecting the debit card.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

E14, I think we're on two different pages. I'm *uber* familiar with merchant accounts and the way transactions are handled.

Here's what my bank statement shows:

11/13/2012 SIGNED PURCHASE HERTZ RENT A CAR POS what is this? 83.00
11/13/2012 SIGNED PURCHASE DEBIT TRANSACTION POS what is this? 283.00
11/11/2012 SIGNED PURCHASE HERTZ RENT A CAR POS what is this? 98.00

So that transaction on 11/11/12 - see, there's already a duplicate *cleared* transaction for the proper amount. The closed batch didn't use the same original authorization, it did another.

And the 2 above on the 13th - the 283.00 is the intial "hold" for that rental which should have been the 83.00 (was actually 82.48). The $283.00 is also being held on my charge card. So again, what its doing is not recognizing the original authorization. When checking out, you should be charged/authorized ONLY for what was originally charged when changing FOP - there is absolutely NO need to do an authorization for 283.00 when they just nailed me for 83.00. (make sense?). In normal merchant accounts, you capture an authorization from a bank, and you BATCH (close) on that authorization. That is not happening here. Its doing 2 authorizations at once, and then the back-end data on the bigger amount is all messed up so Hertz can't give my bank the proper information to have it removed, despite USAA doing it on Monday.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:53 pm

Guess I spoke too soon. Returned the car today and when they closed it out, my card was debited 2x. The lady called billing and apparently there is a system glitch and they have been receiving a lot of calls for people being billed 2x.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Guess I spoke too soon. Returned the car today and when they closed it out, my card was debited 2x. The lady called billing and apparently there is a system glitch and they have been receiving a lot of calls for people being billed 2x.
Yikes.

Title changed, thread bumped.

Rut Dog
Hertz Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
WARNING: Watch for double charges when paying with a different card than you reserved

I'll toss in my experience, since the thread and title seem to imply that this is an issue limited to using debit cards and/or changing payment methods. It's not.

I use my Discover card for rentals (sub-optimal, yeah let the cc hounds descend upon me), and I've been having the same billing issue, to the point where my credit used is supposedly 3x what my actual balance is. Luckily it doesn't pose a problem financially for me, but I will be calling discover shortly to see if they can fix this up for me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by roymustang
I'll toss in my experience, since the thread and title seem to imply that this is an issue limited to using debit cards and/or changing payment methods. It's not.

I use my Discover card for rentals (sub-optimal, yeah let the cc hounds descend upon me), and I've been having the same billing issue, to the point where my credit used is supposedly 3x what my actual balance is. Luckily it doesn't pose a problem financially for me, but I will be calling discover shortly to see if they can fix this up for me.
So this does happen for CCs too? I've been having trouble viewing my Amex statement online but I recently used that to pay for a rental I originally selected to go on my MasterCard. Should I be on the lookout for this?

-J.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
So this does happen for CCs too? I've been having trouble viewing my Amex statement online but I recently used that to pay for a rental I originally selected to go on my MasterCard. Should I be on the lookout for this?

-J.
I would. I have no idea what the extent of this glitch is, but I don't switch cards for billing, and have definitely been affected (and on a credit card), so the potential is definitely there.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by jzweighaft

-J.
The agent who did the return called billing in OKC and asked about it, and apparently it had nothing to do with switching cards or it being a debit card. I do not know how often it happens, but it can happen to anyone.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by KevinMD
apparently it had nothing to do with switching cards or it being a debit card. I do not know how often it happens, but it can happen to anyone.
Check. Title adjusted, again.

Next: logging on to credit card site.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Hm, nothing wrong with my previous rental returned 2 weeks ago but will watch for it in upcoming rental.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: True Blue, Hertz #1 Club, Marriott Rewards
Same thing happened to me recently!

I routinely reserve the car with a company credit card and pay with a debit upon return. On a recent rental I switched cars upon my arrival. A few days later I received a message that the original car was not returned. They also charged me for both rentals. It took 3 separate phone calls to fix. Something is screwy with their system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.