Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Faco
I've tweeted their Twitter team and they confirmed that it still waives the underage fee, still not sure though.

Since I am in the same situation as you, can you keep me informed whether Hertz reservation confirms that the waiver is still active and if not, whether you are able to become a member of USAA via telephone? I tried to become a member online but you have to have a tax number which unfortunately, I don't have. It would've saved me a lot of hassle.
Sure. Hertz still didn't respond on my support ticket.

I just signed up for USAA using their website. The form accepts the personal number from your passport in the form field for Social Security number. Also, you can select that you are not a US citizen (which indicates that they accept non American people), and you have to select the country you are a citizen of. After that, it works normally and you are a member.

The only problem is that they say this on one of their pages about Hertz: "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."

So I might have to contact them after all to get a member card or something like that.

But after all, I think this is the safest way to continue with renting. If Hertz gives me trouble when I come to pick up the car, I simply tell them that it is USAA's policy to accept foreigners, and I present them the card, or a print-out of my profile page or whatever.

And it is a good thing to know for other non Americans: you can sign up on the USAA website, simply enter your personal number (from your passport) in the field for the social security number.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:26 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mike113

I just signed up for USAA using their website. The form accepts the personal number from your passport in the form field for Social Security number. Also, you can select that you are not a US citizen (which indicates that they accept non American people), and you have to select the country you are a citizen of. After that, it works normally and you are a member.

The only problem is that they say this on one of their pages about Hertz: "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."

So I might have to contact them after all to get a member card or something like that.

But after all, I think this is the safest way to continue with renting. If Hertz gives me trouble when I come to pick up the car, I simply tell them that it is USAA's policy to accept foreigners, and I present them the card, or a print-out of my profile page or whatever.

And it is a good thing to know for other non Americans: you can sign up on the USAA website, simply enter your personal number (from your passport) in the field for the social security number.
Here's the card:
https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/CDP%20Card%20-%20USAA.pdf
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:38 pm

I am 23 years old, my girlfriend is 21 years old and we are both USAA members since Dec '13.
We made two rentals this month with gf as additional driver. No second driver fee, no underage fee for both of us ^
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:59 am

Thank you for the information.

It seems that the online registration form doesn't accept my passport number as a social security number. USAA says that they will verify your information by checking your social security number (or tax number), since you don't have one you might be in trouble with your membership.

Hertz and USAA both seem to have 1-800 numbers, thus calling them is free via Skype. I'll give them a call as soon as I'm back from Germany. I'll post their responses here.

Last edited by Faco; Jan 31, 2014 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:03 am

Double post, sorry!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by Faco
Hertz and USAA both seem to have 1-800 numbers, thus calling them is free via Skype. I'll give them a call as soon as I'm back from Germany. I'll post their responses here.
USAA Germany Contact Info
00-800-531-87220

Check the time in Texas: Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: WN

I have never been asked to provide that, and have used the USAA codes probably a dozen times. YMMV.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:20 am

I called Hertz reservations and they told me that the program still waives the underage fee (Hertz twitter said it as well), especially when you're able to successfully add to CDP number to your reservation.

They cannot confirm that to me by mail but the agent added a note confirming the CDP works to my reservation under 'customer (?) remarks'.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to Cymro's advice on the best rate thread I will use the Family CDP 1826991. However, is there any way to combine that with another promotion code to ring the rate down further?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:11 am

Yes, if your rental qualifies for any of the weekly or weekend $ off or upgrade coupons. Then just insert the appropriate code into the PC box.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Any ideas on how to waive the YDF in Puerto Rico?

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:21 pm

Rented several times at DCA with no questions , but today, got asked by the gate agent if this was a military rental (USAA CDP) - Just confidently said yes and hoped that she wouldn't ask for anything else and she didn't
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Rented several times at DCA with no questions , but today, got asked by the gate agent if this was a military rental (USAA CDP) - Just confidently said yes and hoped that she wouldn't ask for anything else and she didn't
Haha...thank you for your service?

For future reference, a USAA account, which entitles you to use of the USAA CDP (among numerous other discounts/agreements), is free to anyone regardless of military affiliation.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by zhutch
Haha...thank you for your service?

For future reference, a USAA account, which entitles you to use of the USAA CDP (among numerous other discounts/agreements), is free to anyone regardless of military affiliation.
Haha - I know that, but it didn't seem like the agent knew that and just didn't want the hassle of taking the few minutes to explain the facts
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Haha - I know that, but it didn't seem like the agent knew that and just didn't want the hassle of taking the few minutes to explain the facts
Haha okay good...i figured as much. One time when I used it at a neighborhood Enterprise, they said it was only for people who needed a rental because their car was in the shop (like after an accident). I politely disagreed, told them that was incorrect, pulled up the USAA website, had them call their manager, HIS manager, and they still didn't budge. They honored the rate, but I had to pay the underage fee. I then called as soon as I got to my destination, and corporate Enterprise said they were wrong and refunded me the $15. Annoying and frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.