Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:30 pm

For Canada folks,

Anyone know if there are any codes that waive under 25 fees after June 30? Doesnt have to be hertz, enterprise/budget/discount etc also works.I am trying to book a car for July and seem to be out of luck

Heres what I have tried

Costco codes doesnt waive underagee fee. I tried with CSTCVST and CSTCUPG
Hertz Family discount code applied but still shows underage fee. I guess it doesnt work anymore

CAA discount code apparently waives underage fee. Can anyone confirm that or is it just a glitch in the system? I got the CDP code from searching CAA hertz and clicked on one of the official links.

I also found a code from some random post online that my university has a code that waives underagee fee, however, I believe all uni codes are for their employees only unless specified it applies to students as well. Can I call hertz to check the conditions of that code?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:49 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Hertz family discount doesn't work anymore. The Costco codes do not waive the underage fee. Your best bet is to join CAA and use the AAA or CAA code with Hertz. They can generally be used interchangeably for the most part as there's reciprocity between AAA and CAA for discounts in most cases. If you specify your age at Hertz.com as under 25 and it doesn't add the underage fee on the checkout page, you should be good-to-go.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:12 pm

18 year old renters

Is 6/30/2020, the last day an 18 year old can rent from Hertz or be an authorized driver with or without a huge surcharge?

What other companies allow 18 year olds to rent or be authorized drivers?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hockey Sd
Is 6/30/2020, the last day an 18 year old can rent from Hertz or be an authorized driver with or without a huge surcharge?

What other companies allow 18 year olds to rent or be authorized drivers?
To my knowledge, all of the rental companies no longer offer surcharge-free rentals for U25 in regards to COVID after 6/30.

Hertz is still the only major rental company that allows rentals to 18-20 without a private company CDP or military paperwork. The two most common CDPs to use are AAA and USAA. USAA is free to sign up for.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hertz Pc National EE
Hertz has extended the no underage surcharge until august 31st.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:31 am

I was wondering if anyone has used the Avis code b204400 recently? I have a few reservations coming up and I was wondering it was still usable.

Update,
Apparently this code is only for people who work for visa corporate not visa cardholders…

Last edited by nyeem; Jun 11, 2021 at 9:18 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:31 pm

AAA vs Amex Platinum

I am AAA member and I am also an American Express platinum card holder so I have two cdps.
I have compared both of them and I get a better discount with my American Express platinum even with paying the underage fee.
Is it possible to book with my American Express CDP and then show my AAA card at the counter to get my driver fee waived.
I am 21, and also president circle.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by adamslucas
I am AAA member and I am also an American Express platinum card holder so I have two cdps.
I have compared both of them and I get a better discount with my American Express platinum even with paying the underage fee.
Is it possible to book with my American Express CDP and then show my AAA card at the counter to get my driver fee waived.
I am 21, and also president circle.
Unfortunately, the policy is that the AAA code needs to be applied to the reservation for the waiver to apply.

If you end up with this as your reservation, it would be worth trying (you might get a sympathetic/clueless agent/manager), but 95% chance it won't be successful, so I wouldn't make your arrangements planning on it working.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Unfortunately, the policy is that the AAA code needs to be applied to the reservation for the waiver to apply.

If you end up with this as your reservation, it would be worth trying (you might get a sympathetic/clueless agent/manager), but 95% chance it won't be successful, so I wouldn't make your arrangements planning on it working.
Would this policy also apply for USAA? I have a 24-year old family member who needs a Hertz rental in California. There are CDPs that give a lower rate than USAA's (leading to an approximately $35 overall savings on the rental). Is it risky to reserve a car for him WITHOUT using the USAA code?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Would this policy also apply for USAA? I have a 24-year old family member who needs a Hertz rental in California. There are CDPs that give a lower rate than USAA's (leading to an approximately $35 overall savings on the rental). Is it risky to reserve a car for him WITHOUT using the USAA code?
The rules are baked into the reservation system so it’s not only risky, it’s 100% guaranteed not to work unless the agent is willing to override the system, and we would be very surprised if they would be willing/able to do this. Best not to take a chance.
iahphx and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rules are baked into the reservation system so it’s not only risky, it’s 100% guaranteed not to work unless the agent is willing to override the system, and we would be very surprised if they would be willing/able to do this. Best not to take a chance.
Thanks. Oh, well, he'll be paying a bit more. BTW, I found one of the lower rates though Autoslash. Even though I can't book it, your site was still helpful to me for locating the Hertz office that had a lower one way rate. As might be expected, that office was also the lowest using the (more expensive) USAA code.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:45 pm

Thanks. Oh, well, he'll be paying a bit more. BTW, I found one of the lower rates though Autoslash. Even though I can't book it, your site was still helpful to me for locating the Hertz office that had a lower one way rate. As might be expected, that office was also the lowest using the (more expensive) USAA code.
If you ever have trouble booking, just click the Need Help? Button on our offers page and we’ll be happy to assist. The vast majority of time we are able to get it booked for our customers.
iahphx and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you ever have trouble booking, just click the Need Help? Button on our offers page and we’ll be happy to assist. The vast majority of time we are able to get it booked for our customers.
But no way to search for an under-25 rate on your site, right?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:52 pm

But no way to search for an under-25 rate on your site, right?
Not explicitly, no, but we do have selections for AAA and USAA when you request a quote, and if we find a deal with one of those two where the underage fee is waived, we'll show that information on our offers page.

For those under 25, we recommend requesting a quote first, and if you don't find what you need, just reply to the quote email you received and one of our team can assist to see what options are available to waive the underage fee.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Join AAA and avoid the age differential.
Then I can't use my corp rate right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.