Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:32 pm

Gold Family CDP seems to no longer work in Canada for waiving underage fees.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:00 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Schweden
Gold Family CDP seems to no longer work in Canada for waiving underage fees.
Was a nice loophole while it lasted for those who could take advantage of it.

The good news is that AAA now waives the UA fee, so it's another option for those who aren't able to qualify for USAA. AAA is relatively inexpensive and provides excellent value for the money IMHO. One door closes, another opens.
Auto Enthusiast and klanfa like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Was a nice loophole while it lasted for those who could take advantage of it.

The good news is that AAA now waives the UA fee, so it's another option for those who aren't able to qualify for USAA. AAA is relatively inexpensive and provides excellent value for the money IMHO. One door closes, another opens.
Canadians cannot sign up for AAA in Canada. And CAA doesn't waive the underage fee.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:35 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by emilio911
Canadians cannot sign up for AAA in Canada. And CAA doesn't waive the underage fee.
Yes, you are correct. Interestingly, Hertz seems to lump AAA/CAA together in some cases:

Clicking that button for "I don't remember by CAA Club or CDP#" applies CDP 1805452 (CDP: AAA WEB ID) which waives the underage fee. This was probably not the intent by Hertz, but hey, just following instructions here on their own website. One could probably be forgiven here for using the CDP# that they themselves apply based on your selection. Just sayin...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Only Economy through Fullsize cars allowed for renters under 25?

Hi all,

So I am currently 24, had been renting from hertz for both business/personal purpose since I was 20 and is a long time president's circle member.

I have about 35 rentals ytd with hertz. And with ultimate choice I was getting many decent upgrades.

My company also sometimes require me to book prestige cars for business purposes and I had never ran into any issue at multiple airport/HLE location.

However yesterday when I was trying to take a reserved prestige car (range rover velar) at lax and that car was assigned to me on the board, the person at the gate send me back saying that I am not allowed to rent to rent anything above fullsize. Then I asked to speak with a manager the manager said the same either and I was forced to pick up fullsize car and nothing better than a fullsize allowed from ultimate choice, the interesting part was that I rented a GLS450 from the very same location with the very same gate agent checking me out 8 days ago and nothing had happened.

I ended up having to cancel my reservation and took my business to National which did not have any problem at all as my company contracts with both of them.

My question is that I wonder if this a new thing? I am 3 weeks from turning 25 so very likely I won't run into any problems soon either way but there are other coworkers at my office who are under 25 and will need luxury cars so it's pretty inconvenient for all of us.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:49 pm

When I was under 25, there was a Hertz coupon for retail customers to waive the underage fee, as well as the Gold Family CDP. I almost always reserved a subcompact, usually at a neighborhood store, sometimes for a one-way, and 99% of the time clearly got the highest mileage, most beat up car they had. Once I booked a fullsize and received a fairly nice Camry S. The counter agent first offered me a discount on a minivan another customer cancelled at the last minute. Another time I got a free upgrade to an Escape (Q4 small SUV). I never tried to rent an SUV, minivan, or luxury car at that point, but at least back then my experience, and our FlyerTalk discussions, seemed to indicate only the Prestige luxury collection was off-limits. I doubt there would be a reason for things to change that drastically, but then again, it was 8 years ago, so I could be wrong.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:22 am

YMMV. Seems to depend on the mood of the employee and the location. When I was under 25 I had the same issue of making it through the gate with an SUV one time and then being turned back the next time. Or getting told I technically wasn't allowed but they would let me through anyway. It's really annoying when it's enforced inconsistently.

If your company has a lot of rentals and a lot of under-25 employees you should try to get your own CDP that addresses this issue.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:47 am

You're not supposed to be able to rent a Range Rover Velar or GLS as they are prestige vehicles. However, economy to fullsize isn't right as you should be able to take any car up to LCAR. As per the Hertz age restrictions and exceptions section, "The minimum age for Adrenaline, Dream and Prestige Collections, as well as select high performance vehicles, is imperatively 25."

Rental agents in the US had always correctly blocked me from taking something like a Q50 or Mustang GT when I was under 25. I was always able to get take a 300 or Yukon in the PC section however. In Canada, there are no stated restrictions although our cars generally aren't as nice.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by m907
YMMV. Seems to depend on the mood of the employee and the location. When I was under 25 I had the same issue of making it through the gate with an SUV one time and then being turned back the next time. Or getting told I technically wasn't allowed but they would let me through anyway. It's really annoying when it's enforced inconsistently.

If your company has a lot of rentals and a lot of under-25 employees you should try to get your own CDP that addresses this issue.
Originally Posted by Schweden
You're not supposed to be able to rent a Range Rover Velar or GLS as they are prestige vehicles. However, economy to fullsize isn't right as you should be able to take any car up to LCAR. As per the Hertz age restrictions and exceptions section, "The minimum age for Adrenaline, Dream and Prestige Collections, as well as select high performance vehicles, is imperatively 25."

Rental agents in the US had always correctly blocked me from taking something like a Q50 or Mustang GT when I was under 25. I was always able to get take a 300 or Yukon in the PC section however. In Canada, there are no stated restrictions although our cars generally aren't as nice.
In face I was using my company CDP. And it’s very interesting as I have been renting over 50 cars per year for the past 3 years with over half of them being prestige and never had a single issue until that day. Very interesting, really.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
I'm 20, and a president circle member. I don't run into problems renting most classes A-T6 (mainstream classes), just not prestige. that is a big no no. I've gotten one once at SEA , (Jaguar XE) and it was a surprise to me too, but another time i was at MCO and the agent gave me an upgrade to a P4, (Mercedes CLA-250), and the gate agent wasn't as trilled that I somehow got a car that she couldn't rent also because of age, granted I was 19 at the time.
The key is to not go out your way to get it, if you find it sitting in the PC section, most airports with UC just let it go, but if you pull it from the upgrade area the system then requires them to type in a birth date.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
I think it also depends on your corporate code used on reservation. Some codes let you book Prestige or Adrenaline under 25, whereas others do not. If you can reserve the model directly, I don’t see why there should be an issue to get an upgrade or take it from the PC aisle.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jim32190
I think it also depends on your corporate code used on reservation. Some codes let you book Prestige or Adrenaline under 25, whereas others do not. If you can reserve the model directly, I don’t see why there should be an issue to get an upgrade or take it from the PC aisle.
In fact my cdp does let me book prestige directly and the car I took on the said day was assigned to me on the board. I just went straight to the car and drove off the gate agent was the person who sent me back the the manager backed her up for refusing to rent me a car.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:54 am

In my experience it depends on the person at the gate I have gotten out with prestige cars and also have been told cannot read anything over full size but they always let me take out at least an L4
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve never had an issue. I normally take an Infiniti out of the ultimate choice collection. I’ve also rented a Jag in ATL.

Normally, I use my corporate code (which we can use for personal bookings) or my AAA rate.

Not once has anyone said a thing. I wonder if it’s due to my corporate code? We have a very large relationship with Hertz.

Last edited by United747; Aug 14, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LJ7006
In fact my cdp does let me book prestige directly and the car I took on the said day was assigned to me on the board. I just went straight to the car and drove off the gate agent was the person who sent me back the the manager backed her up for refusing to rent me a car.
Have you checked with your company on whether its agreement with Hertz provides for rental of prestige vehicles to those under age?

If it does, then would be worth taking it up with customer relations

It is doesn't , then know for future that should use the other rental agency for such bookings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.