Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:33 am

Hello guys, I have some questions about young renter fee.

I and my friend already became the AAA member. This is background.And I rent a car as primary driver and want to add my friend as additional driver. I know AAA membership could waive the additional driver fee. But the man behind the counter told me that the young renter fee could not be waived! But last month, that time my friend didn't become the AAA member, I added he as additional driver, the counter didn't charge me the young renter fee. He only charged the additional driver fee. This time when I told this thing to him, he said it is summer special for waiving the young fee and now the summer is end so you should pay the young renter fee. Did he tell the truth? Someone helps me! It is $27 per day!!!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by aequitas_zero
I and my friend already became the AAA member. This is background.And I rent a car as primary driver and want to add my friend as additional driver. I know AAA membership could waive the additional driver fee. But the man behind the counter told me that the young renter fee could not be waived! But last month, that time my friend didn't become the AAA member, I added he as additional driver, the counter didn't charge me the young renter fee. He only charged the additional driver fee. This time when I told this thing to him, he said it is summer special for waiving the young fee and now the summer is end so you should pay the young renter fee. Did he tell the truth? Someone helps me! It is $27 per day!!!

Show this to the rep~
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...etPage=AAA.jsp
http://images.hertz.com/pdfs/AAA_par...conditions.pdf

Make sure you put your AAA CDP when you book online

https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/misc/i...dp_pcBLANK.jsp

Both of you should be waived the underage and additional driver fee.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 3, 2017 at 4:38 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aequitas_zero
From experience, they might well tell you you'll be charged but in reality you won't be (And worst case if you are, you can just email customer support who'll refund it)
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:00 am

Smile USAA benefit denied at Miami airport in August.

Dear FlyerTalk members,

I successfully used the USAA benefit/discount in January 2017 at Budget, Miami Airport. I received a Ford Mustang GT 5.0 2017 model.
Same year in August I tried to use the USAA benefit/discount at Miami Aiport, same car rental company, Budget. Did not work. I told them I rented the same car category and so on. Talked to the manager and explained the situation but he still denied the USAA Discount. Same for Enterprise and Hertz, they also denied it. Avis denied it as well but I talked to one of the managers and they finally gave me a Camaro V6 330hp. Was not as cheap as first time when I rented the Ford Mustang but still a good deal because I did not have to pay the underage surcharge.

From my experience I can tell that it is getting harder to use the USAA benefit/discount so be careful.
Do not expect that you can use it.
//Martin from Sweden.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Do you need to bring your AAA membership card?

Thinking of getting a membership but no way the card arrives before my rental.

Last edited by jacobguo; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by oldzombie
Dear FlyerTalk members,

I successfully used the USAA benefit/discount in January 2017 at Budget, Miami Airport. I received a Ford Mustang GT 5.0 2017 model.
Same year in August I tried to use the USAA benefit/discount at Miami Aiport, same car rental company, Budget. Did not work. I told them I rented the same car category and so on. Talked to the manager and explained the situation but he still denied the USAA Discount. Same for Enterprise and Hertz, they also denied it. Avis denied it as well but I talked to one of the managers and they finally gave me a Camaro V6 330hp. Was not as cheap as first time when I rented the Ford Mustang but still a good deal because I did not have to pay the underage surcharge.

From my experience I can tell that it is getting harder to use the USAA benefit/discount so be careful.
Do not expect that you can use it.
//Martin from Sweden.
FWIW, I have a friend whose daughter is 19 and was recently denied by Avis LAX with the USAA AWD, even though it's plastered all over various pages on Avis.com that it should work for anyone 18 or older ("at participating locations," of course...). Seems it's not automated like Hertz's system and not a benefit local management has been trained in. Not surprising, given Avis's incompetence at IT and everything else.

Originally Posted by jacobguo
Do you need to bring your AAA membership card?

Thinking of getting a membership but no way the card arrives before my rental.
If you can log into the AAA app after joining, you should be able to get a digital card to pull up and display (and save in your iPhone's Wallet, if you have an iPhone, for easy access).

I'm fairly sure you don't have to wait for the physical card to arrive before you can log into the app. Been awhile since I joined AAA, though, so I forget the process.

That said, TBH, especially if you rent as a Gold, you almost certainly won't have to show the card. Simply booking with the AAA CDP itself is sufficient to automatically waive the underage fee.
Auto Enthusiast and jacobguo like this.

Last edited by jackal; Jan 10, 2018 at 1:16 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:50 pm

Prestige Collection

Through my university's CDP, I was able to book a prestige car online (I said that I was between 21-24) and got a reservation email. Is it possible that they will say no once I go pick it up?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:01 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by johnny.h1997
Through my university's CDP, I was able to book a prestige car online (I said that I was between 21-24) and got a reservation email. Is it possible that they will say no once I go pick it up?
You can book anything online. Just because you can book it doesn't mean you will be allowed to check it out. I've seen under 25 get away with it and I've seen under 25 be denied. Most likely you will be denied as it is against Hertz's policy, but you can always try.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Without the CDP, I wasn't able to book any cars from the prestige section but with it, I was. But thanks for your response tho.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:50 am

Can anybody send me a front and back of a USAA plastic membership card? I have a USAA membership ( limited) and on the APP there is a digitial version of the card. I am interested in what the physical ones look like.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Theflashh
Can anybody send me a front and back of a USAA plastic membership card? I have a USAA membership ( limited) and on the APP there is a digitial version of the card. I am interested in what the physical ones look like.

Thanks!
I have a full membership and I don't have a card other than the debit card I got when I got my checking account. Neither do any of my family members who are USAA members. I don't think they issue physical cards. (I've never been asked for anything, though I'm not trying to avoid any underage fees these days...)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Figured I'd add some of my experiences here for anyone renting in the future.

AAA CDP will waive additional driver fees, but not the <25 fee for the second driver. USAA CDP will waive both the additional driver fee and <25 fee for at least the second driver. Tried this at a corporate US location (SJC) where a friend and I rented a car each and tried to add each other. The T&Cs might seem to say otherwise (and you might be able to argue your way into it), but this is how the system was set up.

USAA CDP will let you rent 18-19, but you can't add a 18-19 additional driver. System won't take it and the manager I complained to either couldn't figure it out, or couldn't be bothered to.

You usually can get away with reserving or UC picking prestige/adrenaline vehicles if you don't have to go to the counter (see: UC locations and this isn't your first GPR rental). I've never been denied at the exit gate, whereas I've seen friends denied when they've had to go to the counter. One even got denied for a pickup truck Status probably helps too.

Also, renting with the USAA CDP as a limited member is a bit sketchy these days. USAA says "Waiver of underage driver fee is limited to USAA insurance eligible members only", and as a limited member (no family in or ex-military), you are not USAA insurance eligible. Now almost all airport locations don't actually ask for any CDP eligibility verification, but if you were to get into a crash, then you might have a problem. The USAA CDP includes limited insurance (some liability coverage and damage to the car is capped at $5k), and rental car companies have been known to investigate CDP/corporate rate eligibility any time they have to pay. You're also potentially at risk of having any CC or auto insurance coverage invalidated, as most insurances have a clause requiring you to not be in breach of the rental contract, and using a CDP you're not qualified to use is definitely that. This is all fairly unlikely but it's something to be aware of.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:02 pm

The AAA CDP does actually waive the underage fee for the 2nd driver, as long as the 2nd driver is also a AAA member. The first time I tried doing this at SRQ, the agent didn't even mention the fee at the counter. At FLL, the "video call expert" said there would be a fee for the 2nd driver, even though she was an AAA member. I complained, he went away for a moment to "check something", and came back saying the fee was waived after all.
If you're only trying to rent from Hertz, AAA really should be the way to go. Using USAA code is not worth the risk if you're not an insurance eligible member IMO, as the AAA membership is a cheap alternative if you're renting a fair number of days per year. $60-70 for a peace of mind and knowing you really do have all the coverage you think you have? That's an easy decision for me.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by klanfa
The AAA CDP does actually waive the underage fee for the 2nd driver, as long as the 2nd driver is also a AAA member. The first time I tried doing this at SRQ, the agent didn't even mention the fee at the counter. At FLL, the "video call expert" said there would be a fee for the 2nd driver, even though she was an AAA member. I complained, he went away for a moment to "check something", and came back saying the fee was waived after all.
If you're only trying to rent from Hertz, AAA really should be the way to go. Using USAA code is not worth the risk if you're not an insurance eligible member IMO, as the AAA membership is a cheap alternative if you're renting a fair number of days per year. $60-70 for a peace of mind and knowing you really do have all the coverage you think you have? That's an easy decision for me.
Interesting. Seemed to me (when I tried it, at least) that the AAA discount in the system wasn't coded to automatically waive that second underage fee, whereas USAA's was. That's what the agent said at least, that the computer was trying to charge it on the AAA rental but not the USAA one. I didn't argue it further. Maybe it's location dependent?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Roona
Interesting. Seemed to me (when I tried it, at least) that the AAA discount in the system wasn't coded to automatically waive that second underage fee, whereas USAA's was. That's what the agent said at least, that the computer was trying to charge it on the AAA rental but not the USAA one. I didn't argue it further. Maybe it's location dependent?
For my second experience the agent did claim the fee was still there at first (video expert). After checking he came back saying it was all clear, no fee. I also spoke to a rep at my local HLE when he was dropping me off - he said AAA CDP waived the underage fee as long as the other driver was also an AAA member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.