Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

FPO and customer service car swap? One more free tank!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

I always wondered what happened if you had FPO, used a significant amount of gas and then had to swap the car due to mechanical issue.
I rented a Corvette this past weekend in LAS at a cheap rate that included FPO, aka "first tank of gas included", drove up to Death Valley and back at a slightly more than reasonable speed and used the entire 18 gal tank for 300 miles (18mpg, sheesh, how does Hertz come up with their 25mpg number?). I noticed an issue with one of the wheels with a big oil splash and significant burnt oil smell. Drove back to Hertz and swapped for another car.
I asked "So how does the FPO factor with the fact that I just drank 18 gallons and you're giving me a new car with a full tank?", "No worries, you get another free tank!"
Nice

Total: 2 day Corvette with LDW, LIS, N/L and XM: 270$, including 120$ worth of gas. Nice.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 360, AA Platinum for Life, Marriott Platinum Premier for Life, United Platinum, Hertz
You're lucky. I had a vette rental this weekend too and averaged 12 mpg. And I wasn't even driving the car hard.

On the whole I thought the car was a piece of junk. I'm sure the higher end models are good, but a base vette is awful. I wouldn't rent it again.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I would say you got lucky I had an exchange in Europe once where I couldn't find a gas station, and couldn't be bothered.. Nonetheless upon returning the exchanged car there was a fuel charge from the car before.
Nonetheless good on ya! I'm sure hertz makes a killing in their gas racket (FPO's not coming back empty, and inflated charges when non FPO's come back low) I saw a plat come back with an empty tank once and when the girl mentioned it, he laughed and said "hit me up for it" Probably charged his expense acct $200+
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If true, that would be an interesting loophole.

On a regular rental, one is (usually) charged for any difference in the gas reading.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
On the occasions that I have echanged a car with FPO, the phone agent (i generally call before showing up) always instructs me to return it with a full tank of gas. I never do, and have never seen a charge for it.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:41 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
You sir are mighty lucky. The one time I had a flat and wanted to do an exchange, the manager at SMF Airport requested that I fill it back to full or I would be charged $9.29/gal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.