Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYC renters: Getting out of paying airport fee at LGA?

Old Sep 14, 12, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all -- did a quick search on this and didn't find the answer I was looking for, but apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread.

I'm renting out of LGA this weekend, though not using the airport (live in NYC and have found that the airport rates, even with the fees, are typically cheaper than the non-airport Manhattan locations). I did the same with the National LGA location last year, and they removed the airport concession fee for me upon rental. Just called up the Hertz location and asked if they would do the same, but they said I had to pay it regardless.

Has anyone had any luck getting them to remove the airport fee if you're an NYC resident and didn't use the airport? I'm not using the shuttle either and will be arriving by city bus.

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 12, 9:14 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by juhlee View Post
Has anyone had any luck getting them to remove the airport fee if you're an NYC resident and didn't use the airport? I'm not using the shuttle either and will be arriving by city bus.
I don't think the counter reps can even do this. The price is calculated automatically by Hertz's reservation system. It's not an optional item. I'm very surprised that National was able to do it. If you can get National to waive the fee, why not rent from them again?
Old Sep 15, 12, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Hmm, okay. I usually rent from Hertz because of my AAA discount. If I had my way, I'd be National all the way...but can't justify the typically higher rates.
Old Sep 15, 12, 7:05 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by juhlee View Post
Hmm, okay. I usually rent from Hertz because of my AAA discount. If I had my way, I'd be National all the way...but can't justify the typically higher rates.
National's rates can be quite good if you know what discounts to apply. Feel free to PM details of your rental and I'd be happy to see what I can do to help.
Old Sep 16, 12, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I know that when I once rented at West Palm Beach without coming in from the airport, I selected "I'm not arriving by Air/Train" in the reservation and some of the airport fees were not included in the quote. I'm not sure if it was a concession recovery fee or some other fee related to the terminal shuttle bus though. This was back when they used to take your name on the shuttle bus, so I presumed you couldn't use this as a "loophole" as they'd figure out if you did come in from the airport, and adjust the reservation as appropriate.

I don't think they get names on the buses anymore, though maybe they do in PBI.
Old Sep 18, 12, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by juhlee
Hi all -- did a quick search on this and didn't find the answer I was looking for, but apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread.

I'm renting out of LGA this weekend, though not using the airport (live in NYC and have found that the airport rates, even with the fees, are typically cheaper than the non-airport Manhattan locations). I did the same with the National LGA location last year, and they removed the airport concession fee for me upon rental. Just called up the Hertz location and asked if they would do the same, but they said I had to pay it regardless.

Thanks.
Hertz has an HLE location just off airport grounds at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel (formerly the Crowne Plaza) on Ditmars Boulevard (served by the Q23 and Q48 buses). Did you price the rental at that location as well? (Use location "Astoria" on hertz.com to find the location.)

Also, are you leaving town for the weekend? If so, it might be cost effective to take a bus or train to Westchester or Rockland or Nassau counties (or even New Jersey) and rent from there.

I live in Queens, and will probably need a car for this weekend; I'm going to try to get the $9.99/day three-day weekend rate from Enterprise on Northern Boulevard in Roslyn (300 free miles included). But you have to be able to return the car on Monday with this deal.
Old Sep 19, 12, 4:09 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
I've done this with National, Enterprise & Budget at LGA, they removed the airport fee gladly.

I think the reason Hertz (or Avis) can't do it is because they are located on airport property while the other brands are off airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: