Changing a car part way through a rental

Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Changing a car part way through a rental

I collected a car from LHR from the gold pickup area. When I took the car home I noticed that the location of the cigarette lighter meant I couldn't plug in a sat nav (I didn't have the sat nav on me when I picked up the car).

If I called Hertz would they let me drop the car off and change it for another one in the category, would there be a charge to exchange the car?

Also everytime I rent from LHR I never get an upgrade (Gold five star), I'd expect an airport location to have a decent upgrade availability. When I rent from Slough upgrades are hit and miss - but they have a smaller fleet so that's more understandable. I have the Amex Platinum discount code in my profile and also because of the Amex I don't take out the extra insurance, not sure if they count that against me.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:19 pm

While I can't speak for their UK operations, I've exchanged cars in the US with Hertz several times, typically because of a mechanical issue, but once just because I didn't like the way the car handled. And only once has this been any sort of issue: it was when I tried exchanging a car that had been rented at a corporate location at a different, franchise location. However, in that case, because it was for a mechanical defect (one of the warning indicators had gone off), after initially refusing to do so, the rental agent spoke to their manager for a few minutes and they then exchanged it without further issue.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EnhancedByCO
While I can't speak for their UK operations, I've exchanged cars in the US with Hertz several times, typically because of a mechanical issue, but once just because I didn't like the way the car handled. And only once has this been any sort of issue: it was when I tried exchanging a car that had been rented at a corporate location at a different, franchise location. However, in that case, because it was for a mechanical defect (one of the warning indicators had gone off), after initially refusing to do so, the rental agent spoke to their manager for a few minutes and they then exchanged it without further issue.
Had similar experiences at US locations. Exchanged cars for a variety of reasons, usually a mechanical issue/strange noise and have never had a problem or additional charge.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've never had an issue nor an extra charge. I changed out a car in FRA which had been rented in MUC--needed to add snow tires and didn't want to have to go back to MUC to do it. I've changed cars in the US several times mid-trip (TUS due to expired tags, SNA due to prior renter having smoked in the car, etc.).

Of course, YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.