Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Weekender Special

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by roymustang
Well since you're arguing over principle, then in principle... you're still wrong.

The base rate for either an ECAR or a CCAR, using XCT1, is $14.99 before any CDP. You've got an incorrect observation if you think that $13.49 was the base rate without CDP (hell, the landing page for this promo even states that the base rate is $14.99/wknd day). Given the mechanics of how Hertz applies PCs (to the base rate, and only then adjusting for CDP discount, your $4.49 result is expected.
Be that as it may, the simple fact is that when making the booking the website states that :

Rate Details : 1 day at 13.49 USD

and

Promotional Coupon; : 10.00 USD
will be applied at time of rental

There is no combination of those two numbers that results in a price of $4.49 before taxes.

I'm not doubting that this is likely a matter of both the website and the confirmation email showing me the wrong price, but the simple fact is that it DID quote me that price, along with the text "Rate is guaranteed", which, in this case at least, it seems that it wasn't.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Thanks for the tips on this, have one weekend trip before the expiration of that PC (Nov 14 is the date), going to try it out.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

PS Here's an interesting trick: make a Thanksgiving res for Wednesday to Monday and use RQ XCT1 (what it says to use for the Weekender Special). It just might give you the low rate for a 5-day weekend. It did me. I was using AAA CDP if that makes a difference. Maybe someone knows if it's normal for Hertz to treat that Wednesday as a weekend day, I don't really know. I'm not sure if I ever tried to book it this way before or not. Gave me an errors when I tried adding a couple PCs with the modify though. Still, it's better than paying for a weekly over Thanksgiving!

EDIT: Also works on Christmas, sort of, a little bit higher rates but not bad (instead of $13.49/day AAA it is $18 and change for the cheapest classes). Have to return on Xmas day though or you'll get charged for TWO weekdays at $43. This can still come out less than a weekly though, as I'm experiencing, even with weekly PCs.

Another note: AAA CDP and XCT1 gives me good rates on other classes too, $16.19 on Midsize, $17.99 on Standard and Full, and most surprisingly, $25.49 on Midsize SUV (RAV4 or similar). It shows up as unlimited miles on the SUV, not always a given (I've had low rates come up on that before only for it to show a mileage cap). I'm only checking for me locally in Pittsburgh so I'm sure YMMV but it's worth noting and checking.

Last edited by CrazyOne; Oct 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, A3* Gold, WN A+ CP, Marriott Plat Prem (LTP), Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Another note: AAA CDP and XCT1 gives me good rates on other classes too, $16.19 on Midsize, $17.99 on Standard and Full, and most surprisingly, $25.49 on Midsize SUV (RAV4 or similar).
I'm finding this too. If we book a full-size or mid suv with these advertised rates will they honor them even though the code is for "Economy or Compact"?
Once I've completed a booking it does say the rate is guaranteed...
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Larabar
I'm finding this too. If we book a full-size or mid suv with these advertised rates will they honor them even though the code is for "Economy or Compact"?
They will honor the rate. Unless it's a franchisee in which case god only knows what will happen.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Another note: AAA CDP and XCT1 gives me good rates on other classes too, $16.19 on Midsize, $17.99 on Standard and Full, and most surprisingly, $25.49 on Midsize SUV (RAV4 or similar). It shows up as unlimited miles on the SUV, not always a given (I've had low rates come up on that before only for it to show a mileage cap). I'm only checking for me locally in Pittsburgh so I'm sure YMMV but it's worth noting and checking.
When this originally came out (with the FRDM code) it did explicitly say that Intermediate/Standard/Full were includes, but at higher rates. They seem to have removed this text, but it's clearly still pricing as if they are included.

Interesting, XPC1 also states "Rates do not apply in CA; please call for comparable rates" yet the rates in CA do seem the same as those listed (Presuming CA is California, and not Canada)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Larabar
It shouldn't matter. They're promoting the $14.99/day price which is the price for econ and compact. The fact that it lowers the prices of some other classes accordingly is just a bonus that it doesn't explicitly mention but is not really uncommon. Sometimes that might only work with certain CDPs.

The mid-SUV having special rates is not unheard of either. I've seen it before, although this is perhaps the lowest I've seen. I think the larger ones may have enough of their own demand when even std-SUV probably gets you a Traverse which can hold 6 or 7 people, whereas a mid-SUV doesn't gain you a lot over a full size car hauling-wise and vs some F cars would be less. I was thinking about booking mid-SUV for the Christmas drive though in case of weather issues that AWD may help. Last year wasn't an issue but always a possibility. At that rate it could be worth it.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
This Weekender rate appears to be unavailable at all the Washington DC area HLEs and at DCA. (Makes sense from a revenue standpoint, since DC residents are less likely to own a car and thus need a rental car on the weekends!)

I tried the rate code with my USAA CDP and it works just fine at the HLE near me in Richmond ($14.24 per day) but at DCA the rate for a one-day rental November 17 bumps up to $29.00.

Anyone had success getting the $14.99 rate in DC?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I've never been able to get that rate of DCA, but every week from IAD.

However, when just trying to book the rate @ IAD for this (and next) week I only get a $24/weekend day [AAA] rate. Strange... Hope the rate didn't stop working!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:59 am

What am I doing wrong

I am trying to get a car at San Fran airport from Fri 10/19 - Mon 10/22.
I have used the XCT1 and 135892 codes. I do not have a CDP but tried AAA and others and the best I can get is $24.95/day for an intermediate.

Will go smaller, but non listed.

How do I get one of these $14/day of 4.99/day rates
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Originally Posted by heffa
I've never been able to get that rate of DCA, but every week from IAD.

However, when just trying to book the rate @ IAD for this (and next) week I only get a $24/weekend day [AAA] rate. Strange... Hope the rate didn't stop working!
Found out the issue since I tried to return on a Sunday. The rate code states one must return on Monday. When returning Mondays, then there's no issue with XCT1/FRDM @ IAD. Add-on 135892 works too.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by heffa
Found out the issue since I tried to return on a Sunday. The rate code states one must return on Monday. When returning Mondays, then there's no issue with XCT1/FRDM @ IAD. Add-on 135892 works too.
Huh?

The rate code states only that you must return by Monday...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Huh?

+1

I've returned cars on Saturdays too. One major requirement is that if you pickup the vehicle on a Thursday or Friday, a Friday night keep is required.

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:44 am

Lightbulb Booking Instructions

Just adding these step-by-step since I see many get confused by XCT1/FRDM with 10$ off 135892.

1. Book the car with rate code (RQ) XCT1 or FRDM, and (optional) your CDP
2. Make sure pick-up is Thursday-Sunday and return Monday before noon.
3. Select economy/compact rate $14.99/day (or $13.49 if AAA)
4. Book the car and note the confirmation number
5. After booking confirmation, go and edit the reservation
6. Make sure that "I want the Rate Plan I originally reserved" is checked
7. Make sure that your CDP and rate code is on the reservation. Sometimes the rate code falls off, and if so, just add it back.
8. Add promotion coupon (PC): 135892
9. Again select economy/compact rate $14.99/day (or $13.49 if AAA)
10. Check that total in right column (and on last page) will say that coupon is accepted and $10/day is deducted

Note: The other way around will also work, i.e. first adding PC and then editing to add RQ.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:54 am

Huh?

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
+1

I've returned cars on Saturdays too. One major requirement is that if you pickup the vehicle on a Thursday or Friday, a Friday night keep is required.

-J.
When booking online I cannot select the $14.99 rate if I put in a return date of Sunday. Just tried. If I change return to Monday 1:00 AM, then I get the rate. However, I don't want risk putting in a Monday return and then return the car on Sunday night and find out that the rate was changed from $14.99 to $30 (or similar) as a early return penalty.

The TOC states following:
  • Offer rate of $14.99 per day applies to Economy or Compact cars picked up on Thursday through Sunday.
  • Pick up Thursday 12:00 noon to Sunday 23:59, must return by Monday at noon or higher rates apply.
  • Thursday and Friday pickups require a Friday night keep.
  • Vehicle must be returned to original rental location.
  • Offer valid on economy or compact vehicles only for rentals commencing through January 31, 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.