renting convertibles @hawaii

Old Aug 12, 12, 9:41 am
Original Poster

renting convertibles @hawaii

So I will be in Hawaii the last 2 weeks of december, and was looking to rent a car there.

I could use 8000 pts for a 1 week anytime rental at HNL, which will get me a specialty car(Chrysler 200 or similar), which will total about $110 in taxes.
or I can just use my CDP and pay about $225 a week for a full size car.

What kind of convertibles are known to be rented at HNL? For using 8000 pts, doesn't seem much savings having to still pay 110 in tax. Especially compare to the full size rental of 225 a week?

Worth it?

Also, my 2nd week will be in the Big Island, and at KOA, the convertible rental is 4000 pts, and about $55 in taxes.
Same question, what sort of convertibles are usually given out at KOA?
Old Aug 12, 12, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I find that the joy of a convertible is inversely proportional to the length of the rental. YMMV.
Old Aug 12, 12, 8:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Having been to KOA in December before, I recommend NOT taking a convertible. It's only sunny in the morning; afternoons tend to be cloudy and cooler, sometimes even a bit windy or rainy. On the Hilo side of the island, it always rains. Halfway into our vacation we got (literally) the last rental car on the island -- a Jeep Wrangler ^ We kept the top up but the 4WD was a blast going to visit the green-sand beach and stuff like that. It's not necessary though if you don't want to visit that (not sure if you're even allowed to but it wasn't in my name nor was I driving :P); my best friend also visited in December a year later and they got an Impala LT which was fine for them.

HNL is gorgeous though so maybe you want a convertible there. Not sure since I was only there for a day, but I could believe that it would get really old really quickly.

TL;DR -- don't get the convertible in KOA @:-)

-J.
Old Aug 22, 12, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Would agree - in HNL - top went up and down constantly due to weather and wife's instance to put it up every time we stopped somewhere. Great for 1-2 days, but after that - just a PITA. But - if you have never had the "experience".....

Just too much work for some sun, which you will be getting enough of anyway.

And I have no problems taking a rental "off-road"

In HNL 3 months ago - got the Infinity SUV for a week @ ~$240 a.i.- just so cheap there (I'm 5 Star)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: