PROS:

- Engine, acceleration, handling, brakes
- Rich cabin materials, luxurious interior
- 360 degree Around View Monitor very helpful for tight parking situations

CONS:

- Front grille akin to a puffy squirrel’s mouth full of acorns
- Large B-pillars block sideward visibility
- Tire noise

CONCLUSION: Best sporty SUV rental to date, although it lacks some of the aural goodness of its 3.7L equipped brethren. Will be ameliorated for 2013.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Thanks. Agree with your conclusions. I have one of these right now from DCA

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 5, 2012 at 10:34 am Reason: added conclusions
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Thanks. Agree with your conclusions. I have one of these right now from DCA
Nice! Too bad Hertz doesn't carry the FX50.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
The new one seems to have been improved compared to 2009 when this generation first came out. Power liftgate, USB connectivity, etc.

I still miss the Paddle shifters on the 2009...soooo much fun...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Had one of these from BOS. The upgrade was a comp, since my car the previous week (Sebring Conv) died and had to be towed, forcing me to catch a cab to the HLE and get stuck in a Nissan Altima.

My only issue was the res specified GPS, so they had added a NeverLost and charged me for it, when the vehicle comes with built-in GPS. Sure made me smile seeing the old-style NeverLost (not the touchscreen) next to the touchscreen computer unit in the dash.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by FearFree
Had one of these from BOS. The upgrade was a comp, since my car the previous week (Sebring Conv) died and had to be towed, forcing me to catch a cab to the HLE and get stuck in a Nissan Altima.

My only issue was the res specified GPS, so they had added a NeverLost and charged me for it, when the vehicle comes with built-in GPS. Sure made me smile seeing the old-style NeverLost (not the touchscreen) next to the touchscreen computer unit in the dash.
I hate that they do that. Charge you for an inferior product when something better is CLEARLY available for free.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Got one of these from my local HLE this weekend. While I wouldn't call the interior cavernous, with the seats down, it can haul a reasonable amount of cargo. With the seats up, think 2 average size suitcases.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:47 pm

Would you recommend for long highway trip?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dontego
Would you recommend for long highway trip?
Yes, though fuel economy isn't spectacular.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:36 am

Smile

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Yes, though fuel economy isn't spectacular.
Well, have a very long road trip coming and unsure about which I wanted to try: MB E-class, GLK-350 or the FX 35. ( They are priced the same.)

It seems that both the glk and the fx have similar mpg.

Any thoughts? :-)

Last edited by dontego; Sep 10, 2012 at 6:42 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dontego
Well, have a very long road trip coming and unsure about which I wanted to try: MB E-class, GLK-350 or the FX 35. ( They are priced the same.)

It seems that both the glk and the fx have similar mpg.

Any thoughts? :-)
Any passenger/cargo considerations?

The FX35 felt roomier than the GLK-350, and the FX35 I had was better optioned. Also, the GLK I had didn't have a USB port (it's entirely possible the '12 GLKs may have a USB port though, you may want to check) and that's a major deal breaker for me.

I'd personally go with the E-class or FX35.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:40 am

Just myself and one passage: two large luggage and a cooler. While the GLK has a cool exterior, to me, judging from your review and additional research it may not be the best choice for this trip. The FX35 and E350 are on the top of my list. Just could not get too much info on the E350.

Thank you .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.