Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Airport, declined CDW, charged anyway, renters beware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott

I am a former Presidents Circle renter, now plain 5 star. I rented last month at Glasgow Airport. My profile show insurance declined. My confirmation shows insurance declined. When I returned the car to the airport for a week, was given a bill with full CDW insurance and told there was no remedy.

I complained for 10 days, Hertz finally admitted their mistake, said they'd refund, apologize in writing and send a $50 certificate. Nothing has happened since then, nothing received.

Now I plan to just dispute the entire credit charge. Renters at Glasgow Airport - be forewarned, watch for them adding declined coverage to your rental! (I presume the agent who charges gets a commission or something?)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME, rates excluding CDW can be a lot more expensive than those including CDW. Was the amount you were charged higher than what you booked ?

If it was then that is poor and I would complain. As far as disputing the charge goes, the card company may not accept a dispute at this stage since the company has said that they will refund the amount and will want to allow time for company to do so

Dave
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
IME, rates excluding CDW can be a lot more expensive than those including CDW. Was the amount you were charged higher than what you booked ?

If it was then that is poor and I would complain. As far as disputing the charge goes, the card company may not accept a dispute at this stage since the company has said that they will refund the amount and will want to allow time for company to do so

Dave
Yes they charged about $250 higher than the confirmation quoted.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveInSFV
(I presume the agent who charges gets a commission or something?)
yes, they do. there is a lot of pressure on them to push this upsell.

As far as disputing the charge goes, the card company may not accept a dispute at this stage since the company has said that they will refund the amount and will want to allow time for company to do so
actually, since the company has only said that they will refund, and haven't actually done so yet, the dispute with the credit card is a nice way to pressure them to live up to their word. there really is no reason not to put in a dispute.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
actually, since the company has only said that they will refund, and haven't actually done so yet, the dispute with the credit card is a nice way to pressure them to live up to their word. there really is no reason not to put in a dispute.
My experience of disputes with Amex and visa is that they ask whether what the merchant has said/agreed/not agreed and if the merchant has agreed to make good the amount that they will not accept the dispute until the merchant has had reasonable time to do so
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:31 am

Yes they charged about $250 higher than the confirmation quoted.
Eeep. that is a lot of unagreed extra. just as an aside, you may want, in future in UK, to check the rates that include CDW et al since they are , ime, often these are cheaper rates than those that do not include it
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
My experience of disputes with Amex and visa is that they ask whether what the merchant has said/agreed/not agreed and if the merchant has agreed to make good the amount that they will not accept the dispute until the merchant has had reasonable time to do so
I agree that they ask. And if you say that they have promised and failed to do it, they have no issues putting it through.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I am a former Presidents Circle renter, now plain 5 star. I rented last month at Glasgow Airport. My profile show insurance declined. My confirmation shows insurance declined. When I returned the car to the airport for a week, was given a bill with full CDW insurance and told there was no remedy.

I complained for 10 days, Hertz finally admitted their mistake, said they'd refund, apologize in writing and send a $50 certificate. Nothing has happened since then, nothing received.

Now I plan to just dispute the entire credit charge. Renters at Glasgow Airport - be forewarned, watch for them adding declined coverage to your rental! (I presume the agent who charges gets a commission or something?)
Citibank had NO PROBLEM accepting the dispute. I e-mailed Hertz and told them that Citibank was reversing the charge and that I considered this "case closed". They wrote back immediately for the first time, admitted they still had not send the credit, send the apology, or sent the $50 voucher, but said they processed it when e-mailing me and up'd the voucher to $100. I don't really care about the voucher. The credit has not come through... it will be interesting to see when it does.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev
I agree that they ask. And if you say that they have promised and failed to do it, they have no issues putting it through.
exactly. ignore what the merchant has "promised." just focus on what they actually did.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Buyer Beware Hertz UK - This from a former Presidents Circle Member!

Well - Hertz finally admitted their mistake and posted a credit for CDW to my credit card, four weeks later.

I have never received the apology letter and voucher they said was sent a month ago.

They also say they send a second voucher for another $100, I have not received that either.

They also say they credit an extra day - that has not posted either.

It is all being handled through their "lack of" service center in Dublin.

Buyer beware - Hertz UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.