Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade PC making the rate TRIPLE?! Is this normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Title says it all. Standard is $13.50/day without upgrade PC, $45 when I put the upgrade PC in. Is that serious? Full size I'd receive with the upgrade PC is $14.40 without the PC entered.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by darkom
Title says it all. Standard is $13.50/day without upgrade PC, $45 when I put the upgrade PC in. Is that serious? Full size I'd receive with the upgrade PC is $14.40 without the PC entered.
PCs will often nullify the discount the CDP gives, so I'm assuming you are using a CDP with it.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
So, you are concerned with getting the $.90/day upgrade for free?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
PCs will often nullify the discount the CDP gives, so I'm assuming you are using a CDP with it.
Nope. Rate without cdp or pc is $16/day. Rate with class upgrade pc only now showing $60/day!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by marvanit
So, you are concerned with getting the $.90/day upgrade for free?
+1. The OP is overthinking this.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
+1. The OP is overthinking this.
Overthinking? I'm just wondering if this is normal, as it's the first time I've ever noticed. I usually use the upgrade to book a full-size and get into a premium. The rate pop this PC produces seems deceptive to me.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
At those rates bothering with upgrade PCs does not make sense. If the upgrade PC works for Premium, and the Premium rate is significantly higher (unlike the very small difference between Standard and Full), then that can explain why it negates the rate you're otherwise getting.

The PCs are subject to various terms and it is not deceptive for them to not be valid on the very cheap rates you're getting. $14.40/day for Full? That's insanely low. Just book it and go.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
At those rates bothering with upgrade PCs does not make sense. If the upgrade PC works for Premium, and the Premium rate is significantly higher (unlike the very small difference between Standard and Full), then that can explain why it negates the rate you're otherwise getting.

The PCs are subject to various terms and it is not deceptive for them to not be valid on the very cheap rates you're getting. $14.40/day for Full? That's insanely low. Just book it and go.
Code works up to premium class upgrade, if available at time of pick up. In my experience it's usually 50/50 shot. Sometimes I'll pay extra for the full in hopes of getting a premium, otherwise I'll book a standard and get the full.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: None
If there is a rate code like "frdm", I think that is the lowest and will not accept any promotional code. It's happening right now for frdm but if you are at an airport and put in the $10 per day discount code, pretty nice rate.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
darkom, the answer to your question is YES, it is completely common for a PC to jack up the rates, sometimes seemingly absurdly so.

In your example I wonder if you had a weekend rate, and the PC called for daily rates. Daily = Weekday, and is commonly 2 to 4 times as high as weekend rates. The PC will modify the rate to apply it. So, as you learned, "renter beware."

And the other posters are trying to get you to look at the big picture. There are many PCs to get significant cash off, and we've learned that upgrades are common without PCs. I, for one, have never given an upgrade PC a second thought.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I usually use the upgrade to book a full-size and get into a premium.
Just remember that YF is also technically an upgrade from F... and that the Grand Marquis is still in the fleet

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.