Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz gave me an unwanted upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Hertz gave me an unwanted upgrade

Hi, first time posting on the Hertz board.

Earlier this week, I rented a car from Hertz CDG for three days, to drive around northern France.

I had made a reservation for the smallest type of car with automatic transmission, a "compact four-door" via Autoeurope. Hertz instead gave me a SUV, I think a Chevrolet Traverse.

Needless to say, this was an unwanted upgrade. I repeatedly asked for a smaller car, but they said this was the only car with automatric tranmission that they had, so I had no choice but to take it.

Given that I drove 1,000 miles, the incremental fuel bill for an SUV over a Renault Megane or whatever I should have gotten was substantial, plus there were various hassles in parking overnight, etc.

I am curious what (if anything) Hertz is likely to do when I submit a complain email.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They will probably do nothing.

You accepted the car, so to them that's the end of it.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I really don't think you have any grounds for complaint: you asked for an automatic. You got one, albeit larger than you wanted. You accepted. You drove it 1000 kms. Now you're complaining?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Aeroplan
Chevrolet Traverse are not available in Europe. Was it Chevrolet Captiva?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cordelli
You accepted the car, so to them that's the end of it.
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I really don't think you have any grounds for complaint: you asked for an automatic. You got one, albeit larger than you wanted. You accepted. You drove it 1000 kms. Now you're complaining?
What other choice did the OP have but to accept the car, given that Hertz did not have available the car the OP reserved?

I think the OP has every reason to complain and every reason to receive some compensation from Hertz.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Renault Megane 50 MPG - 12.4 gallons - $111.60
Chevrolet Captiva 30 MPG - 20.7 gallons - $186.30

1000 kms ~ 621 miles

gas $9 per gallon in France

$75 additional cost due to lower MPG vehicle

But then again a quick search on a date in the future via Hertz dot com resulted in zero automatic transmission vehicles other than the Prestige Collection. So when in France the options for vehicles decrease dramatically if the vehicle is an automatic and not a manual. So it it would appear Hertz went above and beyond in this situation as automatics are not a standard type of vehicle.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hertz will write you back and say "You're Welcome" or they may send you a link on how to learn to drive stick.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
I'd say start firing some emails out to Hertz and AutoEurope and see what comes back. AutoEurope has been pretty good to me in the past if I've ever had an issue come up.

That said, other posters are correct in saying you did accept the car, drive around, return it, etc. As far as Hertz is concerned, the contract is completed in full. While I understand the predicament of Hertz "not having any other automatic vehicles", matters like this should have been raised at time of rental.

But sending a few emails cannot hurt, and at the very worst, leaves you in the same position you are in now. As always, YMMV.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
The inventory of cars with automatic transmissions is considerably less than manual transmissions (good trick if you are looking for an upgrade). I think you can complain, but honestly this is a first world problem. You got to spend a week traveling around northern France and you are concerned with an additional $75 in gas. I'd chalk it up to the realty of travel and learn to drive stick for your next trip.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
What other choice did the OP have but to accept the car, given that Hertz did not have available the car the OP reserved?

I think the OP has every reason to complain and every reason to receive some compensation from Hertz.
I agree. I don't know if Hertz will offer any compensation (or whether they should) but I certainly see why the OP is upset. Rental companies seem to do this a lot.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:09 pm

You need to decide is fuel economy or transmission is your #1 priority. Sounds like it's the transmission.

Next time, if you're more concerned about fuel economy, take a manual.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: 1MM UA
In Europe, the transmission seemed to be a factor for the OP, regarding availability.

In the U.S., with both Hertz and other agencies, this happens to me all the time. I even got "No SUV" on my Hertz profile, and still got an SUV once. I had to take the car back the 2nd day of a 7 day rental, to get it changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.