Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

New, higher charges for one-way rentals in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

I have very frequently over the past few years rented Hertz vehicles one-way between airports in Spain: MAD-BCN, BCN-BIO, etc.. There has always been an additional charge of €40 added to the normal rate, as a drop fee for the one-way rental. Now, in looking to book for a trip in a couple of weeks, the rates I am being quoted are suddenly some €400 more for any one-way rental versus returning the vehicle to the same location.

Has there been some major change of policy on Hertz' part recently to discourage one-way rentals? Is there any workaround to avoid that heavy penalty? Thanks in advance for any information/advice.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I have an upcoming one-way in Germany. There is a ~15 euro drop fee added, but that's it. Last time I rented in Germany (2009) I don't even recall there being a drop fee for my one-way rental, but I can't remember for sure.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
I've rented for years in France, usually one-way, and have never noticed any drop off charge. As a matter of fact, I just came off a 2 week rental and it was actually cheaper than the one I did 21 months ago.

They do have a significant charge for dropping off in a different country. They don't like that idea. That is a change from 15-20 years ago.

Some very good deals on novacarhire.com, carrentals.com, and also through some of the airline FF affinity sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.