Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PCAR with Sirius/XM? Trunk space?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

PCAR with Sirius/XM? Trunk space?

Just looked at the car fleet list again. I am thinking about maybe adding Sirius/XM at the counter. Looks like this would rule out Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and the base Maxima according to their feature list.
Both Lacrosse and Regal should come standard with it. What I saw when I searched around a bit was that the eAssist cars all seem to have a rather big, fixed battery pack in the trunk, which would make travelling with 3 suitcase a little bit uncomfortable (yes, I know, that would be the perfect playground for the CrVic and GrMarq ). Does anyone know if this is correct? If yes, that would rule out the I4 engines as well (I'm not complaining).
Does anyone know if the counter agents are cooperative to give out something that has enough trunk space, or don't they care at all? (The answer probably is, it depends on the person.)
Old May 27, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
I have always found rental companies to be quite accommodating when I have been travelling in the USA, especially when we have had quite a lot of luggage. i have had free upgrades to larger vehicles etc.

I own an Insignia - 4 door - same as the Buick Regal, the boot/trunk is large enough for 3 suitcases, but you may struggle with the extra batteries of the eAssist

if picking up your rental at a major airport you really should not have a problem,
Old May 27, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

That's good to hear... pickup will be at IAD on a Friday early afternoon. Crown Vics etc. are hard to beat with their trunks, but I think I won't be thrilled driving this for 3-4 weeks.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Once you get there, you might wanna ask if they have any Impala LTZs. I'd say those are just as nice (if not nicer) than many PCARs, but have almost as much trunk space as a Crown Vic. It's not a Buick, but it's still GM so pretty close

(And here's a shameless plug for my Impala LTZ ride report )

Good luck!

-J.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: Hertz PC
don't think you will see any e assist buicks in hertz fleet for lacrosse you can get v6 for same price and the regal it is a $2,500 option. i wish they would thou 36mpg for lacrosse would be nice with the amount of miles a month (4000) i put on hertz cars.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bhunt
don't think you will see any e assist buicks in hertz fleet for lacrosse you can get v6 for same price and the regal it is a $2,500 option. i wish they would thou 36mpg for lacrosse would be nice with the amount of miles a month (4000) i put on hertz cars.
I've definitely seen eAssisted Lacrosses in Hertz's fleet so OP has a valid concern about trunk space. And why wouldn't Hertz purchase the eAssist Buick? eAssist Lacrosses are simply the base trim, so they'd save some money.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Once you get there, you might wanna ask if they have any Impala LTZs. I'd say those are just as nice (if not nicer) than many PCARs, but have almost as much trunk space as a Crown Vic. It's not a Buick, but it's still GM so pretty close

(And here's a shameless plug for my Impala LTZ ride report )

Good luck!

-J.
yup, have already been on that page I had an Impala last October and the trunk was very ok. But the car "only" was the LT version, and to be honest, a base Impala is not what I have in mind for a Premium car (well, neither a base Maxima). Well, 4 days left and we will see... I think I have done everything I can (told the travel agent to send a remark which car I would like, registered fo #1 Gold, and that's about it)
Old May 28, 2012, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by at4behe1
yup, have already been on that page I had an Impala last October and the trunk was very ok. But the car "only" was the LT version, and to be honest, a base Impala is not what I have in mind for a Premium car (well, neither a base Maxima). Well, 4 days left and we will see... I think I have done everything I can (told the travel agent to send a remark which car I would like, registered fo #1 Gold, and that's about it)
That's why I'm saying ask for a LTZ; you can do MUCH better than the LT trim

Good luck! Hope you don't get Vicky! (Although she sure is a smooth ride )

-J.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
That's why I'm saying ask for a LTZ; you can do MUCH better than the LT trim
I'd also downgrade to a Dodge Charger R/T plus or so...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

ok, so finally here I am. And guess what. Got around the Crown Victoria. Got nailed down with a Grand Marquis .
No other cars available they said. The counter lady offered me an upgrade to a Cadillac CTS for $18/day. Not too bad I think, but way too expensive for me for 25 days.
Tried with the gold agent, but all that was available was base Impalas and base Altimas. Everything else with upgrade prices like for the CTS.
So I reluctantly had to take the Grand Marquis. 43k miles on it, but condition rather good otherwise.
Well, let's see the other side: Our three big suitcases fit into the trunk without any problems (still leaving space for some bags). And it's the last big old American flagship still left on the roads.
(Still, if maybe I'll come back next year I do hope these cars are gone from the fleet finally ).
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I would never, ever drive a grand marquis. Would probably rebook and go to another hertz.

I never seem to get the massive cars, most likely due to my age... I just can't see myself rolling in a crown vic/marquis or a towncar ever.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by at4behe1
ok, so finally here I am. And guess what. Got around the Crown Victoria. Got nailed down with a Grand Marquis .
No other cars available they said. The counter lady offered me an upgrade to a Cadillac CTS for $18/day. Not too bad I think, but way too expensive for me for 25 days.
Tried with the gold agent, but all that was available was base Impalas and base Altimas. Everything else with upgrade prices like for the CTS.
So I reluctantly had to take the Grand Marquis. 43k miles on it, but condition rather good otherwise.
Will you be near another Hertz location, like at an airport or a larger city office (Hertz Local Edition)? If so, make time stop by and try for a car exchange.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Will you be near another Hertz location, like at an airport or a larger city office (Hertz Local Edition)? If so, make time stop by and try for a car exchange.
Well, we sticked with the Marquis. I even like it a little bit more now. My wife said this is the best car ever to fall asleep in.

Took it 3500 miles now, will return it today. Was indeed a "smooth ride" if you look at the driving comfort.

I even got it at almost 25mpg after 3500 miles, which I think is not bad ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.