Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz unfair dnr (Do Not Rent) list and service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz unfair dnr (Do Not Rent) list and service

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CC, National Excutive Elite, Hawaiian Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Amex Platinum
Well if there is another side to the story I don't know it. I tried to understand what it could be. It sucks to throw a race card in this but I honestly don't know what else could have prompted the managers behavior. Like I said previously I have all the documents. Apology letters and all. Now that they are changing their tune I'm completely lost.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SergioRodriguez
Well if there is another side to the story I don't know it. I tried to understand what it could be. It sucks to throw a race card in this but I honestly don't know what else could have prompted the managers behavior. Like I said previously I have all the documents. Apology letters and all. Now that they are changing their tune I'm completely lost.
If Hertz don't want to rent to you, fortunately there are many other companies that probably will.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CC, National Excutive Elite, Hawaiian Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If Hertz don't want to rent to you, fortunately there are many other companies that probably will.
I actually am utilizing a few new companies. And ond of them did match my status with Hertz. So I'm happy about that. I do about 4-7 rentals a month. It's Hertz Loss. But I am still angered by their behavior and it's become a battle of principle. I know I didn't do anything wrong. And I don't like being treated like I did. So I will reveal there is a law suit brewing.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:25 am

I actually am utilizing a few new companies. And ond of them did match my status with Hertz. So I'm happy about that. I do about 4-7 rentals a month. It's Hertz Loss. But I am still angered by their behavior and it's become a battle of principle. I know I didn't do anything wrong. And I don't like being treated like I did. So I will reveal there is a law suit brewing.
What's the point of a law suit? They do not want to rent to you, they are entitled to that for nearly any reason.

Why not just let it go and accept that it is hertz's loss; what outcome do you hope to achieve other than potentially draining a bank account from a suit?
Old May 28, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

What's the point of a law suit? They do not want to rent to you, they are entitled to that for nearly any reason.

Why not just let it go and accept that it is hertz's loss; what outcome do you hope to achieve other than potentially draining a bank account from a suit?
Honestly it's all about principle. My causes of action would include but not limited to, harassment, slander, libel, emotional distress, discrimination and I forgot what else the attorney was talking about. I don't care if I win 100 bucks. They are wrong for what they have done to me. This entire experience has been stressful. I don't want to rent from Hertz any longer. I have moved on to other companies. Hertz just needs to realize they are wrong.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

If you feel that passionate about it go ahead. This post is a result of their action. I have given you a tid bit of my issues. But they stem further.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:23 pm

I'd like to hear the other side of the story from Hertz. Hertz does not just DNR a Platinum member just because an employee said he/she was rude to them. I'm not calling you a liar Sergio but keep in mind we've only heard one side of this story. If I were you I'd move on with life and take your frequent rentals elsewhere if Hertz won't let you give them your business. In my previous experience Hertz has been the most expensive by at least 40% compared to other rental firms.

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:53 am
Old May 28, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Honestly it's all about principle. My causes of action would include but not limited to, harassment, slander, libel, emotional distress, discrimination and I forgot what else the attorney was talking about. I don't care if I win 100 bucks. They are wrong for what they have done to me. This entire experience has been stressful. I don't want to rent from Hertz any longer. I have moved on to other companies. Hertz just needs to realize they are wrong.
It seems to me as though a lot of the stress could've been avoided if you just dropped it an moved on. There are plenty of rental agencies.

As for the causes of actions some attorney said that you could sue for, an attorney will tell you ANYTHING as long as you're willing to pay. Just be weary. I don't see how they committed libel or slander as their communications have been in private. As for the harassment, Hertz didn't (allegedly) harass you, an employee did, so I don't know how liable Hertz would be for a rogue employee's (alleged) actions.

On a personal note, I've sued companies based on principle, and have gotten my butt kicked. Suing for spite or on the basis of principle can be costly, believe me.

YY a manager said he would try and locate one. He placed my name on the board stating a Platinum customer Sergio Rodriguez needed a truck. Well XX seen the board and flipped, questioning why I was able to rent again and that I should not be able to. So the location manager ZZ called the DNR and had me readded to the list.
How did you come to the above conclusion?

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:54 am Reason: removed names per rules
Old May 28, 2012, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
How did you come to the above conclusion?
An employer that still works there told me.

It seems to me as though a lot of the stress could've been avoided if you just dropped it an moved on. There are plenty of rental agencies.

As for the causes of actions some attorney said that you could sue for, an attorney will tell you ANYTHING as long as you're willing to pay. Just be weary. I don't see how they committed libel or slander as their communications have been in private. As for the harassment, Hertz didn't (allegedly) harass you, an employee did, so I don't know how liable Hertz would be for a rogue employee's (alleged) actions.

On a personal note, I've sued companies based on principle, and have gotten my butt kicked. Suing for spite or on the basis of principle can be costly, believe me.
Slander, because they have broadcasted to all the frequently visited Hertz not to deal with me and why ( allegations ). Libel because they forwarded emails to locations with false information. Harassment because that manager continues to speak negatively about me and the whole DNR situation. Your correct about her being the issue but she is acting on behalf of Hertz. Her behavior reflects upon the company. Your also correct about I could have moved on quicker. But the thought of losing all my points, having to re establish my relationship with a new rental agency and being displaced with the rentals I had at the time the DNR took place. I suffered a loss. I am very persistent and do not like lies and stupidly. Hertz is exhibiting both. Therefore I do not mind losing a few dollars to make a point. Trust me when I say money isn't the object. It's principle. I have read different stories about Hertz and the horrible customer experiences. I cannot lay down and not fight. I have the resources so why not utilize them to send a message to Hertz? Like I said before, I will not rent from them again. But I want an apology. I may not get it, but I will let it be known I am not an idiot. I have communicated with quite a few people about this experience. This post has had over 2,500 views. I think Hertz will understand soon enough. I may lose in court or I may prevail, but no one can predict a verdict unless it's something without cause or merit. I have cause and I have a loss. Therefore I have a case.

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I'd like to hear the other side of the story from Hertz. Hertz does not just DNR a Platinum member just because an employee said he/she was rude to them. I'm not calling you a liar Sergio but keep in mind we've only heard one side of this story. If I were you I'd move on with life and take your frequent rentals elsewhere if Hertz won't let you give them your business. In my previous experience Hertz has been the most expensive by at least 40% compared to other rental firms.
I too would like to hear her side. Like I mentioned previously, I was issued a apology by the location Manager after she spoke with XX. I have my proof and know my truth. If this explodes into more and it comes out that I was 100% truthful on my post, then what will you think? Or say? And I am currently utilizing different companies for my rentals. The prices are very similar

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:54 am
Old May 29, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: Costco Club
Slander, because they have broadcasted to all the frequently visited Hertz not to deal with me and why ( allegations ). Libel because they forwarded emails to locations with false information. Harassment because that manager continues to speak negatively about me and the whole DNR situation. Your correct about her being the issue but she is acting on behalf of Hertz. Her behavior reflects upon the company. Your also correct about I could have moved on quicker. But the thought of losing all my points, having to re establish my relationship with a new rental agency and being displaced with the rentals I had at the time the DNR took place. I suffered a loss. I am very persistent and do not like lies and stupidly. Hertz is exhibiting both. Therefore I do not mind losing a few dollars to make a point. Trust me when I say money isn't the object. It's principle. I have read different stories about Hertz and the horrible customer experiences. I cannot lay down and not fight. I have the resources so why not utilize them to send a message to Hertz? Like I said before, I will not rent from them again. But I want an apology. I may not get it, but I will let it be known I am not an idiot. I have communicated with quite a few people about this experience. This post has had over 2,500 views. I think Hertz will understand soon enough. I may lose in court or I may prevail, but no one can predict a verdict unless it's something without cause or merit. I have cause and I have a loss. Therefore I have a case.
I just don't see libel or slander. You're talking about them spreading intra-company communications, which are sent to employees whom I assume sign confidentiality agreements.

Secondly, when you rent with Hertz, I bet there is a clause in the rental agreement that limits their liability and sets certain indemnity rules.

Also, them adding you to the DNR is list is based off of their opinion of you. I think they would have an easy time showing this. The Plaintiff must prove that the Defendant made a false statement of fact, that the Plaintiff was without any legal privilege to make the statement or exceeded the privilege, that the statement caused actual damages, and that the statement was made at least with negligence. You can't sue for libel based on their opinion of you.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:52 am
Original Poster

I just don't see libel or slander. You're talking about them spreading intra-company communications, which are sent to employees whom I assume sign confidentiality agreements.

Secondly, when you rent with Hertz, I bet there is a clause in the rental agreement that limits their liability and sets certain indemnity rules.

Also, them adding you to the DNR is list is based off of their opinion of you. I think they would have an easy time showing this. The Plaintiff must prove that the Defendant made a false statement of fact, that the Plaintiff was without any legal privilege to make the statement or exceeded the privilege, that the statement caused actual damages, and that the statement was made at least with negligence. You can't sue for libel based on their opinion of you.
I see your point. Thank you. But the fact that I was on the DNR, fought it and won. Based off the incident of August 18th, 2010. Then re added to the list for the same incident they overturned the first time? I understand they have a right to refuse service. I agree. But to allow me to appeal a decision and have it overturned, reinstate my privileges then over a year later have me added back to the list because XX said I should not have been removed to begin with? I mean come on. How is that fair. What was the point of the initial DNR and the appeal? They sent a letter stating that the incident was founded to be in my favor apologized and reinstated me. Then to turn around and readd me for the same issue? Do you not see some type of wrong from that? A form of Breech? I had a understanding with Hertz that the issue was resolved in writing. I appreciate your feedback and your comments and I think it's giving me a better understanding of the position Hertz may take, but the average reasonable person would agree what they did was wrong.

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:56 am Reason: names removed per rules
Old May 29, 2012, 2:47 am

I think that an average person will accept that the company has an opinion of you and based on that opinion has decided that they do not want you as a customer

There is no fairness aspect to it. I cannot see what you hope to gain other than an emptier bank balance

You may think it is unfair, but a company doesn't have to engage fairness in deciding who to accept as a customer
Old May 29, 2012, 3:03 am
Original Poster

I think that an average person will accept that the company has an opinion of you and based on that opinion has decided that they do not want you as a customer

There is no fairness aspect to it. I cannot see what you hope to gain other than an emptier bank balance

You may think it is unfair, but a company doesn't have to engage fairness in deciding who to accept as a customer
Ok Dave. Imagine if all companies took the stance. You have a disagreement and then they ban you. Where is freedom of speech? Where is your right to be respected? How far will a company get with that type of attitude. Its funny how you say the company has that opinion. The company only knows what one rep told them. And for the record companies do have to show fairness, otherwise it can be deemed discriminatory. Thus my argument. I have mentioned previously it's not about money. My bank accounts will be fine. Thanks for your concern though. I doubt it will sustain an impact that would cause me to lose everything I have. When you see this case unravel in the near future remember your doubts as to your rights as an American Citizen and your freedoms. This case will go forward and if I must pay for exposure for the injustice I suffered so be it. That's my right to do so. You are able to cast your opinions openly and freely, because of people like myself who have fought the battles ( Iraqi war veteran ). Thank you
Old May 29, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
They sent a letter stating that the incident was founded to be in my favor apologized and reinstated me. Then to turn around and readd me for the same issue? Do you not see some type of wrong from that? A form of Breech? I had a understanding with Hertz that the issue was resolved in writing. I appreciate your feedback and your comments and I think it's giving me a better understanding of the position Hertz may take, but the average reasonable person would agree what they did was wrong.
Something just doesn't add up here. The fact that a high-level executive at Hertz thoroughly reviewed your situation and still decided that Hertz should NEVER rent to you again speaks loudly and clearly to me. Are you saying he's crazy? Because to believe your story 100%, that's the conclusion I would have to reach. As far as libel and slander go, you cannot prevail in a lawsuit unless you can PROVE you have suffered ECONOMIC damages. I don't see a single post from you showing how Hertz's actions have caused you a loss of income.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
No this was coincidental. And honestly I didn't want an Escalade for a road trip from California to Illinois. I just wanted something decent. No tricks involved.
Whoa, wait a second, was the reservation your colleague had, and then cancelled, for a one-way across the country as well? If not, then I can completely see why a station wouldn't want to give you an Escalade for a cross-country road trip. That said, if you were going Cali-Illinois-Cali, never mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.