Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz unfair dnr (Do Not Rent) list and service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz unfair dnr (Do Not Rent) list and service

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 6:18 pm

Just move on. As a former Hertz employee, I generally rent with Avis these days. I have generally received much nicer cars from them and they're usually a lot cheaper too.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CC, National Excutive Elite, Hawaiian Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
From my experience dealing with the public over many years, we call the police as a last resort when someone is abusive and/or threatening to staff, when we cannot get them to leave or defuse the situation any other way.

Many times the day after someone is abusive or threatening, they complain to senior management that they are the one who has been abused. I think some of them actually believe they are the victims. Eyewitness documentation of the events usually ends this type of complaint quickly.

I doubt that scenario unfolded as "I refused to accept the car they wanted to rent me, so they called the police". In fact, this woman must have known that calling the police would bring her a lot of grief, scrutiny from her boss, etc, and I am sure if there were any other way of handling the situation, she would have done so.

Learn from your experience. Low paid people who work in customer service deserve to be treated with respect.
So you think I disrespected her? How? And I give everyone respect. Regardless of Social Status
Old May 19, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
What did you rent, what wasoffered? What did you want?

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old May 19, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CC, National Excutive Elite, Hawaiian Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
What did you rent, what wasoffered? What did you want?
Oh I'm not. I was trying to understand what you were talking about. I'm fine. I reserved a full size. As a Platinum I'm guaranteed a upgrade to premium or higher if available. So at minimum a premium car was expected. When she said the Camry I said no. She said she was sold out and nothing else could have been offered. Which I know was a lie. Because i had a business associate that was flying in to Ontario and booked a escalade. He cancelled while I was there. I has him call. She wouldn't let me pay to upgrade. Then I called reservations and asked if they were able to book the escalade for me. They said yes. And did it. I was standing there when they assigned the escalade to me but didn't know it. After I said ok well I am canceling and taking the escalade is when she got upset. I called another manager on his cell and asked him to talk to her. She wouldn't touch my cell phone. So he called the office. She took the call and went to the back. 10 minutes later the police show up. I called the other manager back. He said he was still on hold. I told him what occurred. He felt bad and called the palm springs airport and had them help me. I drove 50 miles out of my way.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SergioRodriguez
I reserved a full size. As a Platinum I'm guaranteed a upgrade to premium or higher if available. So at minimum a premium car was expected.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

The If Available part is for anything higher than a premium. But I'm guaranteed an upgrade. Period. So a full size reservation, I am guaranteed to get a premium vehicle. Now if they have a vehicle higher than premium it's up to the location.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The If Available part is for anything higher than a premium. But I'm guaranteed an upgrade.
There is nothing in the benefits that states an upgrade beyond premium at all, guaranteed or if available.

Period. So a full size reservation, I am guaranteed to get a premium vehicle. Now if they have a vehicle higher than premium it's up to the location.
If they have no premium car there, then you may have to accept a full size with charges for a lower category. Looking at the Hertz bookings for Ontario Airport, a Camry is full sized with a Nissan Maxima being a premium. Anything beyond that is not covered for PC upgrades

There is only 1 side to the story given, I suspect if <the manager - name removed by moderator> was to post, there would be a different view from her

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:42 am
Old May 19, 2012, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing in the benefits that states an upgrade beyond premium at all, guaranteed or if available.

If they have no premium car there, then you may have to accept a full size with charges for a lower category. Looking at the Hertz bookings for Ontario Airport, a Camry is full sized with a Nissan Maxima being a premium. Anything beyond that is not covered for PC upgrades

There is only 1 side to the story given, I suspect if XX was to post, there would be a different view from her
I'm sure there would be. And that's fine. I actually would love to hear what I did that was so horrible. Even though they location manager spoke to her the day after and apologized for the misunderstanding and behavior. The thing is Dave they had cars. If you read the previous comments I called and reserved a escalade and she wouldn't let me have it. Claiming the reservation desk doesn't know about their fleet. Even though they had already assigned the escalade to me. Yeah I would love to hear her side. Tell me how she felt threatened. How I didn't curse at her, how I didn't threaten her. How I'm permantely on crutches.

There is a guarantee of upgrade from full to premium. Not if or maybe it says you are guaranteed an upgrade. If she truly had no option I would have understood. I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to Hertz and it's availability.

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:43 am Reason: name removed
Old May 19, 2012, 11:54 pm

There is a guarantee of upgrade from full to premium. Not if or maybe it says you are guaranteed an upgrade. If she truly had no option I would have understood. I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to Hertz and it's availability.
What type of car did she originally give ?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What type of car did she originally give ?
The one and only option she gave me was a Camry with 20k some odd miles and smelled like smoke. I did not want it. I also did not expect a Mercedes or a BMW. I just wanted something newer and that didn't smell. I don't smoke. I hate renters that smoke in the cars and thinks its ok. I have horrible allergies.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:59 am

It really does seem that this woman <name removed by moderator> has a vendetta against you. It really bothered her that you were able to rent from Hertz again. Had she not seen your name, you would have had no problem renting with Hertz as you have been. I do not know how a local Hertz employee can have such influence on your case since you won your DNR appeal and have been renting with Hertz without incident since then.

You may want to take this up with a lawyer to see what rights you have. Another possibility is to write to the president of Hertz by certified mail explaining the situation to him or her. It may be that <name removed by moderator> is actually a "problem" employee and that her actions need further investigation.

soccer

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:44 am
Old May 20, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Lol, yeah I want to just walk away but I also had 7,250 points accumulated. That equates to almost three weeks worth of free rentals.
Ouch. I wouldn't want to walk away from that either.

Is there any way to issue an award out of your account with a spouse or someone as the renter? Or any other way to issue a Hertz award in someone else's name. Used to be you could just order paper certificates...
Old May 20, 2012, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soccerpapi
It really does seem that this woman XX has a vendetta against you. It really bothered her that you were able to rent from Hertz again. Had she not seen your name, you would have had no problem renting with Hertz as you have been. I do not know how a local Hertz employee can have such influence on your case since you won your DNR appeal and have been renting with Hertz without incident since then.

You may want to take this up with a lawyer to see what rights you have. Another possibility is to write to the president of Hertz by certified mail explaining the situation to him or her. It may be that XX is actually a "problem" employee and that her actions need further investigation.

soccer
I feel the exact way. I am currently communicating with <name removed by moderator>, he is over all airport locations. I explained to him that I'm being punished for the same incident again. Provided the letters from Hertz and all. I'm hoping they over turn it and deal with <name removed by moderator>. Your also correct about her being an issue. I have spoken to a few employees that work with her and she isn't liked very much. Even another manager from a nearby city had some issues with her about a vehicle he needed and she didn't want to give it to him. She's just hateful and has a power trip going on. I wish I never called them looking for that truck. If <name removed by moderator> upholds the DNR then I will consult a Attorney and see what I can do.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Ouch. I wouldn't want to walk away from that either.

Is there any way to issue an award out of your account with a spouse or someone as the renter? Or any other way to issue a Hertz award in someone else's name. Used to be you could just order paper certificates...
I'm going to ask for them to transfer them to my wife if they willing to do so. My only fear is if I do ask for that they may DNR her. So I'm not 100% sure how to handle that. But I will figure something out. I really would like my points and a apology for making me go through this again. In the legal world it would be considered double jeopardy.

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:45 am Reason: names removed per rules
Old May 20, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: None
Seg, you seem like a reasonable person. You are entering into a rental agreement, you don't have to rent from Hertz, even if you are the highest level renter. In regards to upgrades, I never expect anything as a PC and if they give me a higher level, I am surprised. The three best upgrades were never asked for. The incident about your associate reserving and then cancelling a prestige car, did you ever thing they overbook and had two prestige SUV reservations that day and they had to hold the one that was cancelled for another renter? Hey, I worked for Hertz 25 years ago and still keep in contact with some co workers. When I see poor service, yes, I call them out, when there is good service, I also point them out. In regards to Ontario, I remember a <name removed by moderator> who was a counter person who was very nice and polite, but I think she is smarter to know not to promote. I hope you aren't the type of renter who clogs up the Gold Booth for 20 minutes wanting to change cars three times. One more thing, unless I'm reading this wrong and I am sure you authorized the other renters, but how does one person have three rentals out at the same time unless you are a business?

Last edited by l etoile; May 30, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: name removed per rules
Old May 20, 2012, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
FWIW, the treatment the OP describes is not what I would expect as a Hertz Platinum, nor what I would accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.