Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at KOA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
If you are a Costco member, the Kailua-Kona location has the cheapest gas on the Big Island and is close enough to KOA to fill up before returning your car. https://www.costco.com/warehouse-loc...na-hi-140.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum

I just booked a car at Kona airport and it says that Gold service is unavailable, however Mobile Gold Alerts are available. Does anyone know how it works there? Do I have to go to a counter to get keys or do I just go get in the car and drive away? Do the alerts just tell me which car I'll get, but not say anything about where it is?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL DM, UA Gold, WOH Glob, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by mr_burdell
I just booked a car at Kona airport and it says that Gold service is unavailable, however Mobile Gold Alerts are available. Does anyone know how it works there? Do I have to go to a counter to get keys or do I just go get in the car and drive away? Do the alerts just tell me which car I'll get, but not say anything about where it is?
Gold service is available but have to take shuttle to one main lot. My experience is that service is terrible, though. Lots of people milling around but didn't get my car for 15 minutes.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Name on board and drive away- 5 minute walk to the terminal if you miss the shuttle and don't have too much you're carrying. I've had a great upgrade here before but most recently none over Xmas and NYE.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Was there 2 weeks ago - shuttle from terminal over to the rental park; digital "Hertz Gold" display showed about 8 names each with parking bay number. Went straight over to the bay.. keys were in the ignition, and paperwork in the car. Drove to exit, where Hertz person scanned car and paperwork, and then we were on our way.
Super efficient...
Old May 6, 2013, 11:25 am
Used to be hamajicky

I have a premium car reserved here May 27-June 1. Any information on what kind of car that would be? And do they do Gold Choice here?
Old May 8, 2013, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chalky White
I have a premium car reserved here May 27-June 1. Any information on what kind of car that would be? And do they do Gold Choice here?
I'd bet a Maxima. I know KOA gives out Gold Alerts, not sure if they do Gold Choice.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:17 am
Used to be hamajicky

Thanks. Any chance they might put me in a Jeep if I request it?
Old May 10, 2013, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Chalky White
Thanks. Any chance they might put me in a Jeep if I request it?
Sure. They'll sell you up to a jeep if you want (probably cheaper to pay for a jeep vs. upgrade at the terminal though)
Old May 10, 2013, 8:53 am
Used to be hamajicky

Well, I used points for a week long rental and since they will give you up to a premium car on points, that's what I did. Hopefully the difference for the jeep won't be too much.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HA PP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
No Gold Choice at KOA.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:00 pm

I'm looking for a 4wd vehicle to visit Big Island (Kona airport). Which category should I book?
Today, Midsize SUV (Q4) is 364$ for one week, Standard SUV (L) is 489$ and Large SUV 4wd/awd (T) is 629$.
We are two people and we don't need a large SUV.
I'm Gold and I use around 10 times per year Hertz.
Can I choose my vehicle on the parking (same category) ? In which category, I can expect a 4wd.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would book a Q4 and expect a Nissan Rogue, with a Ford Escape or Toyota RAV4 less likely. That is more then enough car for two people and with gas prices the way they are on the neighbor islands, you don't want to spend your entire vacation budget filling up a gas guzzler.

KOA is not an Ultimate Choice location; you will be assigned an SUV and if you don't like it, you will have to nicely ask an agent for a comparable swap.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I would book a Q4 and expect a Nissan Rogue, with a Ford Escape or Toyota RAV4 less likely. That is more then enough car for two people and with gas prices the way they are on the neighbor islands, you don't want to spend your entire vacation budget filling up a gas guzzler.

KOA is not an Ultimate Choice location; you will be assigned an SUV and if you don't like it, you will have to nicely ask an agent for a comparable swap.
Really thanks for your answer. I would drive on top of the Mauna Kea where the rental car are forbidden and where a 4wd is normally requested.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:49 am

Q4 - Kona

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

I booked a Q4 for one week (324$) at KOA airport. I will do as you recommended, to nicely ask an agent for a comparable swap if I don't like it. I suppose I can expect a SUV listed on the US fleet thread.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any more recent experiences at this location? Have a week long C Group rental the first week of December. How are the cars here?
Do they have Gold service, and do they do anything special for PC members or not really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.